Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 09:07 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,227,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vergofa View Post
The nick name for the black character was spear- chucker.

Could not make All In The Family today either.
You could easily make All In The Family today.

There was far more racial tension in 1971 coming off the heels of the Civil Rights Era and only 3 years after Dr. King's death than there is now, and it still got made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
A lot of movies/sit-com could not be made today...

Today, people HAVE to find something wrong...

I love MASH and I still watch it when I'm flipping through the channels and see it on, great show.

Hell, I watched hee-haw the other night, talk about a non-PC show...all those women in scantly dressed big boobed woman running around....

If people would stop trying to find something wrong, anything....this U.S.A. would be a lot better...

This is old, but it clearly states that people are HAVE to find something to complain about.

Dallas County officials spar over ‘black hole’ comment | Dallas Morning News

Oh, and lets not forget one of the most racist movie ever...blazing saddles....people would die if that movie was made today....
Everything that was made then could me made now...including Blazing Saddles.

There have been movies depicting far more racism than Blazing Saddles bothered to depict.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
Didn't they call him "spearchucker" because he threw javelin in college?
Not sure. I wasn't all that deep into MASH. But i'm pretty sure that a black character on a recurring TV show these days couldn't be named Spearchucker...nor should he be. If you can't imagine calling him that in real life (and there's no way any white person would do that without some serious repercussions), then to do it on TV would be unrealistic, not to mention insulting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
I'm an old guy. I have been watching TV since the 50s. Never ever has there been a more overtly racist TV show as "The first 48". Almost every single mentally challenge, criminally inclined killer on that show is some black ghetto rat. Their average IQ is about 80, they can barely speak English and are totally unaware of any rights they might have. It's far worse than any fictional racism like that of Archie Bunker. This show is depicting this as reality. This is what the black community is like, is what the show is saying. It's just horrendously horrible!!!!!!!
First 48 is fair and i'm a black man saying it. It's not even close to being racist. They're basically chasing after a certain narrow element in our society, and most of that element is not only criminal but stupid. The whites and Hispanics they've taken into custody on that show are usually just as dumb as the black criminals they arrest.

Moreover, it also depicts some pretty sharp black cops and investigators. So there's a balance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2014, 09:38 AM

46,307 posts, read 27,131,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Everything that was made then could me made now...including Blazing Saddles.
A man cannot speak his mind how he feels about gay people, and you think a movie like blazing saddles can be made....

Or you are right, it maybe, can be made...the fallout afterwards for making said movie, may not be worth it...

Old 01-04-2014, 09:46 AM

29,835 posts, read 24,927,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Heh. I watched an All In The Family last night where Archie got mugged and was astonished that the mugger was..........white. Then, horrors of horrors, he went to court in front of a BLACK FEMALE judge.

Lord, I miss those good, old shows. There are more than a handful that wouldn't make it today. Our loss.
Ya, but at least we have (un)reality TV today

Old 01-04-2014, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
A man cannot speak his mind how he feels about gay people, and you think a movie like blazing saddles can be made....

Or you are right, it maybe, can be made...the fallout afterwards for making said movie, may not be worth it...
Movies and TV shows are two different entities and they've never had the same production standards.

Movies have always been able to get away with far more than network TV has for obvious reasons.

Not to mention the advent of cable tv with Starz, HBO, Showtime, etc...they show all kinds of stuff on those shows that you can't show on network TV.

Would it have fallout if it were made today? Maybe so, but so what? Why should it be immune to fallout? People do have the right to be offended even if they're being stupid about it. As i said before, about the only thing about MASH that i couldn't imagine happening today is calling a character by the Spearchucker moniker, and that's TOTALLY justified if people would get angry over it. Everything else would be just fine. AMC has shows far edgier than MASH ever was.

Moreover, there have been lots of movies since Blazing Saddles that have depicted far more racism and there was no serious fallout from any of them that i can remember.

Django Unchained makes Blazing Saddles look like a walk in the park.

Old 01-04-2014, 10:03 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,544,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
The M*A*S*H Episode Guide » Blog Archive » The General Flipped at Dawn (3×01)

The chopper pilot, Marty Williams, is called as first witness, but Steele asks the African-American Williams to do “a number” first. Perplexed, Williams doesn’t know what to do or say, so Steele gets up and stuns everyone with an impromptu version of “Mississippi Mud”. With the prosecution happily singing and dancing his way across the compound, the trial comes to an abrupt end.

Harry Morgan as General Steele - YouTube

@6:29.

What do you think?
Slow news day? Or just bored?

Old 01-04-2014, 10:55 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,177,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass Inna Bun View Post
Really. Learn something new every day.

That episode of MASH cracks me up. The last few years of MASH would certainly be aired today, they were full of Alan Alda's touchy-feely goodness.
What about the rest of the episodes where the nurses were just sex partners for the overworked doctors?

Old 01-04-2014, 11:31 AM

46,973 posts, read 26,018,521 times
Funny that the race factor is what people zoom in on. I frankly think the uproar these days would be "disrespect for the fighting men and women whose sacrifices guarantee you the right to smear their characters" or something along these lines.

Seriously, can anyone imagine a time where we'll be ready for comedy about Afghanistan? Let alone the sort of comedy with integrity that MASH was?

Old 01-04-2014, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Funny that the race factor is what people zoom in on. I frankly think the uproar these days would be "disrespect for the fighting men and women whose sacrifices guarantee you the right to smear their characters" or something along these lines.

Seriously, can anyone imagine a time where we'll be ready for comedy about Afghanistan? Let alone the sort of comedy with integrity that MASH was?
Your post turns the tables on conservatives, and you're absolutely correct. It would be CONSERVATIVES raising hell about the depiction of our military in a comedy in the middle of the War On Terror.

Great post.

Old 01-04-2014, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
What about the rest of the episodes where the nurses were just sex partners for the overworked doctors?
Meh...Mad Men is more sexist than MASH ever dreamed of being.

So the sexist angle isn't true either.

Old 01-04-2014, 01:06 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,722,601 times
Spearchucker Jones was one of the original swamp men and his character was a javelin thrower in college. Perfectly appropriate for a period piece such as M.A.S.H.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies