Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 11:01 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
Didn't they call him "spearchucker" because he threw javelin in college?
Yup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 11:01 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,353,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Probably "stole" that from Blazing Saddles. Cool that they recycled Henry Morgan into the role of Sherman T Potter.

When Klinger struts out in his finery...and Morgan says, "Not now, Gladys" (Or was it "Ethel"? I'm not sure)...did he mistake him for his wife or mistress? I never could figure that out. With Klinger, they made fun of battlefront mental illness and transvestite/cross dressing in one fell swoop. Not PC.

Old 01-06-2014, 11:36 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
all in the family is running on over the air tv now......and it's as funny today as it was in the 70's....
They run these shows all the time these days without any complaints. I watch All In The Family all the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I'd say that MASH is light comedy compared to how even on television. MASH just really expanded catch 22 in war time humor. What society rejected was basically the hateful treatment and neglect of those returning from Vietnam by segment of society without being immediately condemned by others.
Meh...no one was treated hatefully and there was no neglect. Why that rumor continues to persist is beyond me. Vietnam vets had about as normal a homecoming as you can have under the circumstances.

Old 01-06-2014, 12:53 PM

28,675 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
When Klinger struts out in his finery...and Morgan says, "Not now, Gladys" (Or was it "Ethel"? I'm not sure)...did he mistake him for his wife or mistress? I never could figure that out. With Klinger, they made fun of battlefront mental illness and transvestite/cross dressing in one fell swoop. Not PC.
That was a significant change from the movie. In the movie, Klinger's role was an issue of feared homosexuality.

Old 01-06-2014, 12:56 PM

28,675 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Meh...no one was treated hatefully and there was no neglect. Why that rumor continues to persist is beyond me. Vietnam vets had about as normal a homecoming as you can have under the circumstances.
I was in uniform myself at the time, having enlisted in the last couple of years of the war.

Your "under the circumstances" covers a lot of ground.

Yeah, considering that the circumstances were an extremely unpopular war that the country was largely viewed as having lost and that the returning vets were considered either criminals or losers, depending on what side of the political spectrum someone was on. Under those circumstances, yeah...it was a "normal" homecoming.

The homecoming for Vietnam vets was certainly not that of the WWII vets, nor of the Gulf War vets.

Old 01-04-2015, 08:45 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,835,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass Inna Bun View Post
Really. Learn something new every day.

That episode of MASH cracks me up. The last few years of MASH would certainly be aired today, they were full of Alan Alda's touchy-feely goodness.
I know what you mean. Preach much?

Old 01-04-2015, 08:59 PM

3,349 posts, read 2,848,444 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZg4XwVi3Qs
Seinfled clip
That was funny

Old 01-04-2015, 09:08 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,394,892 times
blazing saddles the same way, it could not be made today. or the airplane movie with the two talking ebonics

Old 01-04-2015, 09:24 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
I miss M*A*S*H*, but there are plenty of shows today that similarly push boundaries.

Old 01-04-2015, 09:27 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I miss M*A*S*H*, but there are plenty of shows today that similarly push boundaries.
Heck, shows like Game of Thrones and Orange is the New Black push what is acceptable on TV today. MASH would have been just fine if it was done today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies