Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 01:31 PM

8,893 posts, read 5,373,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
You could easily make All In The Family today.
I'm not so sure you'd see this one on the air.

All in the Family S 2 E 4 Edith Writes a Song - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2014, 01:50 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,835,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Funny that the race factor is what people zoom in on. I frankly think the uproar these days would be "disrespect for the fighting men and women whose sacrifices guarantee you the right to smear their characters" or something along these lines.

Seriously, can anyone imagine a time where we'll be ready for comedy about Afghanistan? Let alone the sort of comedy with integrity that MASH was?
Good lord. That's insightful. GREAT POST. I never even thought about that. Or a comedy about the Iraq war, too.

Old 01-04-2014, 02:31 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Spearchucker Jones was one of the original swamp men and his character was a javelin thrower in college. Perfectly appropriate for a period piece such as M.A.S.H.
Yeah...I get that.

But it won't fly these days. As much as folks rightfully yammer on about political correctness, there are some things that I'm glad about changing over these decades.

If you make a modern day film about American soldiers in the middle of a war zone and you were doing it from scratch, calling a black former javelin thrower by "Spearchucker" won't fly and it SHOULDN'T fly because it's unrealistic and wouldn't happen in modern times. It just wouldn't.

I have no problem with it being in MASH...I like the show. But that was then...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
I'm not so sure you'd see this one on the air.

All in the Family S 2 E 4 Edith Writes a Song - YouTube
Probably not.

Look, you'll never get an argument out of me that All In The Family is the greatest network television show in history hands down. It just is.

It was an appropriate show for the time because we were only 3 years past the death of Dr. King, in the midst of Vietnam, and finding our economy in decline...and many white conservative males ala Archie Bunker were very disillusioned about the country's direction.

The show confronted those issues and every side aired out their positions.

So it's a case of "been there/done that. We all know where the nation is, and the need for a show like that is pretty much nil. They covered all the possible ground that can be covered.

Old 01-04-2014, 02:35 PM

423 posts, read 414,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
I'm an old guy. I have been watching TV since the 50s. Never ever has there been a more overtly racist TV show as "The first 48". Almost every single mentally challenge, criminally inclined killer on that show is some black ghetto rat. Their average IQ is about 80, they can barely speak English....

So, you're saying it's a Reality show?

Old 01-04-2014, 02:43 PM

28,671 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
Today it is subtle. Programs where all the cast are of one flavor.

Recently the TV program Pan-Am was about air travel in the 1960's. The only black characters is saw was a black couple in dashikies standing at the terminal.
Actually, you may have missed the subtlety in that show.

For sure, the reality was that air travel in the early 60s was mostly white--and the show did not revise history to show otherwise (I hate it when period-based programs put black people where black people never were at the time).

However, it certainly did include episodes revealing the racial issues of the day, and did a good job illustrating the naivete of whites who considered themselves non-racist.

It also included some issues that people so far today from WWII would not recognize--like the unbridled hatred the French stewardess had for Germans.

Old 01-04-2014, 05:39 PM

46,289 posts, read 27,108,503 times
Quote:

Probably not.

Quote:
You could easily make All In The Family today.
Please make up your mind.....

Old 01-04-2014, 07:10 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass Inna Bun View Post
Really. Learn something new every day.

That episode of MASH cracks me up. The last few years of MASH would certainly be aired today, they were full of Alan Alda's touchy-feely goodness.
professor Alda is a great guy, got to sit in on one of his seminars at Stony Brook

Old 01-04-2014, 07:11 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,128,386 times
LOL It took me a good five minutes to figure out why the name SpearChucker wouldn't be PC for that character today. ROFL

Old 01-04-2014, 08:08 PM

3,401 posts, read 2,285,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
What about the rest of the episodes where the nurses were just sex partners for the overworked doctors?
And Trapper and Hawkeye were functional alcoholics? And Radar was mailing a jeep home, one piece at a time? Great days.

Old 01-04-2014, 08:09 PM

3,401 posts, read 2,285,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
professor Alda is a great guy, got to sit in on one of his seminars at Stony Brook
I think so too. Never met the guy, but he seems to be a good person who does worthwhile things. But I still think the show was better before he had so much pull.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies