Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 10:20 PM

25,840 posts, read 16,517,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Heh. I watched an All In The Family last night where Archie got mugged and was astonished that the mugger was..........white. Then, horrors of horrors, he went to court in front of a BLACK FEMALE judge.

Lord, I miss those good, old shows. There are more than a handful that wouldn't make it today. Our loss.
Back when America had brains and a sense of humor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2015, 11:17 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,824,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermix View Post
The episode was making fun of how out of touch with reality the general was. The song or the fact that the character being court-martialed was Black wouldn't make a difference today.
uhm hawkeye(alan alda) was the character being court martialed, not the black shopper pilot. he was just a witness against hawkeye.

Quote:
M*A*S*H* wouldn't be made today because if people knew how people in the early 1950s really thought and acted, they wouldn't watch the show. A 1950s liberal is a 2010's conservative.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDWILLY View Post
all the war lovers would object to the anti-war message of MASH. so the other-other-PC crowd would bring it down. just like the PC crowd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egbert View Post
I agree. Though I think it is changing I seriously doubt that an anti-war show would be allowed by a media which is by and large controlled by and advertised on by who make a lot of money off of war. It certainly would not have happened 10 years ago.
actually mash would have been a hit today if they were just putting it on the air. there might have been some minor exceptions and complaints about a few episodes, but otherwise mash would still have been a hit.

Old 01-05-2015, 07:11 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,602,543 times
Love MASH!

One funny show.
They pushed the limits on many fronts.

Old 01-05-2015, 08:10 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,769,591 times
I have my doubts whether episodes like that from MASH or movies like Blazing Saddles would fly today.

Today's society is one that finds offense in EVERYTHING.

People fail to see context. They would hear the N words and freak out, failing to understand that they were utilized to berate racism.

Nor do people get irony. I am old enough to remember when Randy Newman's "Short People" caused stirs.

Americans love to be offended and reach for the smelling salts.

Old 01-05-2015, 08:19 AM

3,349 posts, read 2,846,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I have my doubts whether episodes like that from MASH or movies like Blazing Saddles would fly today.

Today's society is one that finds offense in EVERYTHING.

People fail to see context. They would hear the N words and freak out, failing to understand that they were utilized to berate racism.

Nor do people get irony. I am old enough to remember when Randy Newman's "Short People" caused stirs.

Americans love to be offended and reach for the smelling salts.
MASH and Bs were funny.
What about family guy, south park, archer, and the simpsons , they do all of the time and no one cares.

Old 01-05-2015, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommie789 View Post
MASH and Bs were funny.
What about family guy, south park, archer, and the simpsons , they do all of the time and no one cares.
I agree they were funny. Very funny. However, a great many people do not see the obvious as you and I do.

None of those cartoons has ever had a scene like the one in BZ where the sheriff first shows up and the N word is flowing.

Old 01-05-2015, 09:01 AM

3,349 posts, read 2,846,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I agree they were funny. Very funny. However, a great many people do not see the obvious as you and I do.

None of those cartoons has ever had a scene like the one in BZ where the sheriff first shows up and the N word is flowing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdzOysAy84A
Louie did it and no one said anything

Old 01-05-2015, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommie789 View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdzOysAy84A
Louie did it and no one said anything

Louis CK is a comedian. Blazing Saddles is a movie with a plot of sorts. There is a difference.

Comedians, unless they are named Andrew Dice Clay, are largely exempt from the mores of this New Victorian Age.

We live in a time where Hollywood panics about offending dictators and previously rational writers cannot bring themselves to write or utter the name, Washington Redskins. Students at prestigous universities ask for grief counselors following Grand Jury decisions when they are not asking that "controversial" materials be labeled with warnings.

Sorry, but I cannot imagine a film like Blazing Saddles being released now. The sale of fainting couches would skyrocket.

Old 01-05-2015, 11:04 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,183,550 times
It's astonishing how some of you don't understand this little thing called zeitgeist.

All things have their day and time. The things that Maude, MASH, All in the Family, and the Jeffersons poked fun at have been largely rectified. Those shows would be out of place because those issues are no longer front and center of the American consciousness. Those shows are still funny, but anachronistic.

You think yesteryear was so great? Married couples couldn't share the same bed on tv. Ed Sullivan made groups change lyrics that are pedestrian by today's standards. Guess Who's Coming to Dinner wasn't shown in southern theaters. Captain Kirk kissing a drop dead gorgeous Nichelle Nichols was controversial.

Political correctness? Please.

Why not talk about what we CAN show on tv now that we couldn't show then?

Mixed race couples, married people sleeping in the same bed , a woman or non white president, gay people, etc...

No one sees any positives around here?

Like I said earlier in the discussion....many of you are just peeved that you didn't inherit your father's world.

Sucks to be you I guess.

Old 01-05-2015, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
It's astonishing how some of you don't understand this little thing called zeitgeist.

All things have their day and time. The things that Maude, MASH, All in the Family, and the Jeffersons poked fun at have been largely rectified. Those shows would be out of place because those issues are no longer front and center of the American consciousness. Those shows are still funny, but anachronistic.

You think yesteryear was so great? Married couples couldn't share the same bed on tv. Ed Sullivan made groups change lyrics that are pedestrian by today's standards. Guess Who's Coming to Dinner wasn't shown in southern theaters. Captain Kirk kissing a drop dead gorgeous Nichelle Nichols was controversial.

Political correctness? Please.

Why not talk about what we CAN show on tv now that we couldn't show then?

Mixed race couples, married people sleeping in the same bed , a woman or non white president, gay people, etc...

No one sees any positives around here?

Like I said earlier in the discussion....many of you are just peeved that you didn't inherit your father's world.

Sucks to be you I guess.

I am reaching for my smelling salts....<THUD!>.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies