Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 07:05 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I hated the commercial. It just encourages people to hold onto their national identities from their country of origin. The increasing diversity does not make us a stronger nation it makes us weaker. 100 years ago, you generally had an American identity. People had very similar values and beliefs. Now all it is is a bunch of rats fighting for their chunk of the cheese.
You must hate the Irish and Italians in this country, those guys have been holding onto their national identities from their country of origin ever since they got here.

Old 02-03-2014, 07:06 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV8n View Post
Coca Cola doesn't give a flying fornication about diversity. The commercial was about creating buzz that would get their product more publicity. The news shows will probably devote hours to talking about that commercial, and each segment will show clips of the commercial with people drinking Coke. I'd say "mission accomplished".
Political hacks are a very easy advertising source. You had Phil to create fake outrage from the left to cause buzz, and you have this Coke commercial to rile up the rubes on the right. Man it feels good to be a centrist

Old 02-03-2014, 07:11 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,944,791 times
What is "foriegn" to me is foreign to America. If i dont speak Yiddish, then no one else does. If I can't understand Korean jibberish...then it should not be spoken in America. Spanish is for illegals and their sympathizers.

How dare Coke use any other language than American English in their ad.

///

Old 02-03-2014, 07:13 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,263,400 times
LOL, when I saw that commercial, I said to my husband, "And rightwing heads just exploded all over the country."

Really, I did.

Old 02-03-2014, 07:13 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,129,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
You're right and progressive liberals are trying to shove diversity and foreign languages down our throats. It is not an American "tradition" to reward millions of foreigners here illegally just because it was done during the Reagan era.

Seems anything will do to dilute our identity as a nation, our culture and our language and even our basis as a Christian nation along with the teachings of Christianity. I couldn't care less about what race one is, however. It's about all of the above.
What about when the Italians and Irish came?

Old 02-03-2014, 07:14 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
What is "foriegn" to me is foreign to America. If i dont speak Yiddish, then no one else does. If I can't understand Korean jibberish...then it should not be spoken in America. Spanish is for illegals and their sympathizers.

How dare Coke use any other language than American English in their ad.

///
I know you're trying to be funny with this joke, but in reality the old, angry, "you kids get off my lawn!" WASPs on C-D and across America all think this. If you speak Spanish in pubic then you're with the illegals, nevermind the fact that there's a segment of the population that is Spanish speaking and fully American like all the other states

Old 02-03-2014, 07:18 AM

15,865 posts, read 21,445,747 times
Quote:
I hated the commercial. It just encourages people to hold onto their national identities from their country of origin. The increasing diversity does not make us a stronger nation it makes us weaker. 100 years ago, you generally had an American identity. People had very similar values and beliefs. Now all it is is a bunch of rats fighting for their chunk of the cheese.
No, they didn't. It's popular rhetoric to say that things were different 100 years ago, but in reality, it was the same situation with a different ethnic makeup.

In the early part of the 20th century, there were huge waves of migration from Southern and Eastern Europe, Russia, and Jews from all over Europe. Before that, it was the Irish. Before that, it was the Germans. And then, like now, the immigrant groups stayed close-knit and often did not assimilate until the first generation of native born Americans.

Old 02-03-2014, 07:24 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
No, they didn't. It's popular rhetoric to say that things were different 100 years ago, but in reality, it was the same situation with a different ethnic makeup.

In the early part of the 20th century, there were huge waves of migration from Southern and Eastern Europe, Russia, and Jews from all over Europe. Before that, it was the Irish. Before that, it was the Germans. And then, like now, the immigrant groups stayed close-knit and often did not assimilate until the first generation of native born Americans.
I grew up with a friend who was Spanish who's grandmother migrated to the US, the grandmother spoke almost no English, his mother who was a little girl when she moved here spoke decent English, but with a thick Spanish accent, and my friend was very much an English speaker who also knew how to speak Spanish.

Someone who stays in a country long enough will eventually begin speaking the language of that country, but that doesn't mean they need to stop speaking their own language. This idea that people who come to the US need to stop speaking their native language is just ridiculous and something that I have come to expect from the extreme right wingers.

Old 02-03-2014, 07:29 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,944,791 times
Quote:
It is sad you have no customes to hold onto. Americans do everything you do, have the same national identity and customs as you...some are just more enriched and have other culture you do not have.

Old 02-03-2014, 07:31 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,168,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
Just more cheesy 'we are one world' nonsense from Coke.
You know what is cheesy? The super bowl. I haven't watched that thing for as long as I can remember. Amazing how hyped up people get about a sport. What is also cheesy is that people can get so worked up about a commercial. A commercial people, a commercial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies