Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 11:32 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,527,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Portland Or. DOES have 2 Country music stations so I guess there are MANY in Portland that DO like Country music.
Well, once you get into the margins of Portland or into the suburbs, you have a ton of country music fans. It's pretty typical white suburbia out there or rural areas. The dominant stereotypes of liberal, hip Portland is just in the inner neighborhoods.

Hell, they have giant ads in downtown Portland for the BiMart Willamette Valley Country Music Festival in August that have been up for months already. There are big rodeos that take place about 45 minutes south of Portland in St. Paul and Mollalla every summer.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:02 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,753,334 times
Sorta country/folk, love this song.

JOAN BAEZ & JEFFREY SHURTLEFF - He`s A Drug Store Truck Drivin` Man - YouTube

Old 02-10-2014, 08:08 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,165,232 times
I thought country music's appeal was generally limited to those who found their sisters attractive in a special way.

Old 02-16-2014, 11:24 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,942,213 times
The problem is a lot of folks have the wrong idea of what country is. And what it is has nothing to do with country folk as seen on the Beverly Hillbillies . Certain singers ( song writers too ) like to wrap themselves around the American Flag and that will appeal to the Conservatives.....even if they really hate any kind of music that tells a story or displays any signs of weakness, compassion , caring, and a persons right to choose what they want to in the privacy of their own home.

Old 02-16-2014, 11:52 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,445,071 times
Country, for American music, is pretty traditional and hasn't gone through as many phases as other forms of music here. You might call it "conservative", and other genres that go through large changes "progressive"... You get it?

Old 02-16-2014, 11:59 PM

15,532 posts, read 10,504,683 times
"Why is country music generally limited to Republicans?"

I know plenty of democrats that listen to county music.

Old 02-17-2014, 12:05 AM

1,095 posts, read 1,631,663 times
Because country music tends to be about tradition and things like god and guns. It tends to appeal to people that are into that sort of thing--mostly people in rural areas of the country. People in rural areas overwhelmingly vote Republican. It's all they've ever known. There are some country musicians that I like such as Blake Shelton and Garth Brooks but the majority of country music is too twangy, boring, and annoying.

Old 02-17-2014, 03:07 AM

5,738 posts, read 5,445,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboveordinary View Post
Because country music tends to be about tradition and things like god and guns. It tends to appeal to people that are into that sort of thing--mostly people in rural areas of the country. People in rural areas overwhelmingly vote Republican. It's all they've ever known. There are some country musicians that I like such as Blake Shelton and Garth Brooks but the majority of country music is too twangy, boring, and annoying.
Country music can be about a lot of things. It tends to be poppy/unchallenging (not necessarily a bad thing), and if you don't dig the sound obviously you won't like it. It took me some adjustment to even be able to sit down and listen to salsa and cumbia music, but now I'm obsessed with them.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:11 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,942,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
Country, for American music, is pretty traditional and hasn't gone through as many phases as other forms of music here. You might call it "conservative", and other genres that go through large changes "progressive"... You get it?
Country Music in general IS music of the people, the only true sounds that are North American , not from another side of the world......yet it has grown out of a lot of cultural /ethnic beginnings. Maybe that is why its so popular around the world, more so these days than other music. Many country artists ( I include folk and crossover ) spend more time traveling around the globe playing to sell out crowds where ever they go. With that in mind , I see pure country as very progressive, with traditional roots. Europeans have always been fascinated with the old wild west, cowboys, Indians and camp fires. Could be there is some of that mystery in the music, a somewhat answer for the popularity in far away lands.

It has been said many time that a lot of American pop, rock n roll , found its roots or influence in places like England., and it shows of coarse looking back at the success of bands like the Beatles , who in many cases wrote some good country songs as well as copying the sounds of Americas music. I would never have called Ray Charles country...but He is....just an example. The bottom line music IS as YOU hear it, that should never change, regardless of your political influence. The Dixie Chicks were very country and very progressive, a good entertaining mix , but one where politics ruled and they lost a lot of audience because of the way a lot of people started hearing it.

Old 02-17-2014, 09:38 AM

147 posts, read 130,193 times
Country music is bad and getting worse. There isn't anything Godly about it. Come on. It's all about drinking and going out tonight and I wanna get you in the back of my truck. And the worst part is, it is poorly written. I heard one the other day that went something like: "come on girl, let's get to kickin', I'm just sayin' "......not much more intellectual than lady gaga.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies