Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 01:28 PM

3,040 posts, read 5,003,036 times

Advertisements

Why not just take your business to someone who would do the job, instead of forcing a company to submit to your request. This was a targeted move by the gay community just to make a point and I don't agree with their tactics.

I have no ax to grind toward the gay community, I think they deserve every right that all American citizens have, but they DO NOT deserve any special rights because of their sexual orientation.

Old 03-02-2014, 01:29 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,074,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenZephyr View Post
Going back to the question, should a Muslim or Jewish caterer be forced to provide food and services for a pig roast or pork barbeque? Should a devout Muslim photographer be forced to photograph a gay wedding? Should a halal bakery be forced to serve a wedding cake for a gay wedding?

Take the Christian out of it, Christians are easy targets, that's why their business are always targeted by these activists, they know that Christians won't fight back, replace with fundamentalist Muslim and let the cards fall. Funny, I've never seen a halal bakery taken to court for denying serving a gay wedding due to beliefs, plenty of these bakeries exist, just none have been targeted.

Wonder why?
It's already been explained to you why that is a stupid comparison. Do you need it explained again?

Old 03-02-2014, 01:31 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,315,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
IF you feel hatred and resentment against homosexuals, and get justice for feeling that way from the Bible, why should a businessman risk having to do business with them through a store or service that is open for all the public? Far from all homosexuals are going to let on as to who they are to the businessman or woman.
As I have pointed out before, and I thought I made this obvious in this thread, the services provided are custom services. The baker made custom cakes. They were not of the "off the shelf" variety. That is different. One has no right to refuse to selll items off the shelf to a customer based on who that customer is, but I do believe that a person has a right not to perform a service, or create a customized one-of-a-kind product for a client, if that would cause him to sanctify a sinful lifestyle (such as homosexuality) with his labor and creativity, as in this case. No one should be compelled to do that which is against his religious beliefs.

Old 03-02-2014, 01:34 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,495,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
Why not just take your business to someone who would do the job, instead of forcing a company to submit to your request. This was a targeted move by the gay community just to make a point and I don't agree with their tactics.

I have no ax to grind toward the gay community, I think they deserve every right that all American citizens have, but they DO NOT deserve any special rights because of their sexual orientation.
It is not special to be treated as every other citizen expects to be treated by a business. It is a special right that the baker wants, he wants to use his religion to discriminate. Maybe he should try and see if he can legally post a sign telling his customers who he will and will not bake a cake for and see how long he stays in business. Maybe bakers and photographers should have the right to refuse to serve or work for black people, Asian and jews too, why should it be allowed to just discriminate against gays? Do you think that black people would have ever got anywhere if they had just gone to establishments that would sell them their products or do business with them? Sorry, discrimination is wrong no matter if it is against a person for their race, age, sex or sexual orientation and no business should have the option of using their religion in that manner.

Old 03-02-2014, 01:35 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,105,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post

Special? How are these rights "special"?

Old 03-02-2014, 01:37 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,315,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
How is it we're reduced to debating religious views in a court of law - which then assumes the authority to tell us which one is the "right" one and which ones are "wrong"?

Congress shall make no law regarding the establishment of religion. It CERTAINLY didn't empower the courts to decide what doctrines should be.
"... or prohibiting the free exercise thereof." You left that out. We are not debating the first part, which has to do with Congress acting to pass a law (creating legislation which designates a particular religion the official State religion).

I think you need to do some study of the Constitution, and how and why the founders wrote the First Amendment. It isn't that hard to figure it out.

Old 03-02-2014, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
As I have pointed out before, and I thought I made this obvious in this thread, the services provided are custom services. The baker made custom cakes. They were not of the "off the shelf" variety. That is different. One has no right to refuse to selll items off the shelf to a customer based on who that customer is, but I do believe that a person has a right not to perform a service, or create a customized one-of-a-kind product for a client, if that would cause him to sanctify a sinful lifestyle (such as homosexuality) with his labor and creativity, as in this case. No one should be compelled to do that which is against his religious beliefs.
How is a wedding cake for a divorced couple any less of a sin by the bakers beliefs than baking a cake for a gay wedding? What does it matter if the cake says Susan and Dan or Susan and Dyan. Do you think he askes all customers requesting a wedding cake if they are virgins, ever divorced, interracial? His religion does not bake his cakes, nor does he need it to bake a cake, his religion has nothing to do with baking a cake, now does it?

Old 03-02-2014, 01:39 PM

Quote:
"... or prohibiting the free exercise thereof." You left that out. We are not debating the first part, which has to do with Congress acting to pass a law (creating legislation which designates a particular religion the official State religion).

I think you need to do some study of the Constitution, and how and why the founders wrote the First Amendment. It isn't that hard to figure it out.
What does his religion have to do with baking a cake or operating a business? It was not a christian bakery.

Old 03-02-2014, 01:43 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,105,768 times
Quote:

Commercial businesses don't have religious beliefs to freely exercise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Old 03-02-2014, 01:43 PM

1,138 posts, read 1,042,341 times
If a neo Nazi couple walked into a Jewish bakery and demanded that they bake them a cake for their Nazi themed wedding or ralley, and the owners refused, would that be discrimination too?

Lol you guys didn't really think your arguments through did you? So much hypocrisy!

As for the supposedly anti-gay Arizona bill, there is nothing in it that is anti-gay, it doesn't even mention gays or homosexuals ANYWHERE in the bill. I read it, it's only about 2 pages. Obviously none of you did. Stop beliving everything media tells you to believe.
Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies