Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 09:50 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,205,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
There is no right for a homosexual to force someone to bake cake for them against their will.

In fact the 13th Amendment prohibits involuntary servitude.

You talk about not infringing on the rights of others, but don't seem to think that such limitations should be applied to people of faith.

What right does a homosexual have to infringe on the rights of a Christian baker?
No one is going to walk into your house and force you to bake a cake. If you CHOOSE to open a business that bakes cakes, you have to follow the laws of the state that you are operating your business in.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:50 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,631,075 times
I think a lot of liberals DO respect this to some extent. At least I'd like to think it. I think it's the radical fringe and the progressives that are trying to force their ideas on everyone else and make them think they are the majority.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:53 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,225,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikBEggs View Post
Freedom of religion means you may practice any religion you'd like as long as it does not infringe on the rights of others. Using religion as a justification to infringe on the rights of gays is not what is included in the First Amendment, nor is the First Amendment applicable in that defense.
That's what I was going to say, but you beat me to it! If you want to use your relgion to treat others like dirt and deny them basic rights, then you've crossed the line. I fully support churches being able to discriminate (not marry gay people or people of other faiths), but not using religion to justify discrimination in public places/service.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamihurricane555 View Post
I think both sides are forgetting an even bigger issue. the freedom to deny someone something just because I feel like it. I'll use an extreme Example. If my neighbor is having a heart attack and I happen to see it. I decide to just not worry about it and go back inside. it later turns out he dies. While morally it's reprehensible to ignore him. I have no obligation to help him. Now if I can let someone die. How can I not just decide to deny anyone a cake.
The difference is operating a business. If you are an EMT and you are called out to a man having a heart attack, you can not refuse to treat him. If you own a bakery (selling cakes to the public) you can not refuse to sell someone a cake. If you are a person walking down the street you are not required to give medical assistance to anyone, and if you are a person walking down the street, you are not required to bake a cake for anyone.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Religious principle is a matter of conscience - and the First Amendment protects religious freedom.

Stop dodging the question.

What part of the constitution requires a person to serve another person contrary to their conscience and religious principles?
So if my religious belief says that it is wrong to serve Jews, then I can refuse to sell items to Jewish people?
(just an example)

Old 03-11-2014, 10:07 AM

5,913 posts, read 3,185,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Why do you hate the KKK. That is what the democrat party was founded on. Learn your history. That isn't the point though. You want to demand a private business do what YOU say no matter. You are lost.
I'm sorry you don't understand the difference. It has been explained over and over on these threads. Hatred and discrimination is not protected. Your personal beliefs are protected insofar as you do not trample on the rights of others.

Old 03-11-2014, 10:52 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,005,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
You just said conscience is based on religious principle, there for you are proving my point.
No - Harrier said that religious principle is a matter of conscience.

Quote:
Religious principle is a matter of conscience - and the First Amendment protects religious freedom.
He did not limit conscience to religious principle.

Don't twist Harrier's words around.

Old 03-11-2014, 10:55 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,772,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post

Do libs support or reject the free exercise of religion?
Does the free exercise of religion give someone the right to violate state and federal law? If a religious group claims human sacrifice is part of their deeply held religious beliefs, does that mean they can't be charged with murder/manslaughter?

No Constitutional right is absolute. That includes Freedom of Religion.

Old 03-11-2014, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
you need to first establish how those principles are being violated. You have yet to do that even though I asked my question long before you asked yours.(a question that was answered by someone else by the way)
Harrier has done that multiple times in this thread - he has cited the First Amendment - and you have ignored that and claim that Harrier has not - which makes you a liar.

Harrier has answered your question - and you have not even made an attempt to answer his.

What part of the constitution requires a person to serve another person against their conscience?

Quit dodging and start answering.

Thank you.

Old 03-11-2014, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
So if my religious belief says that it is wrong to serve Jews, then I can refuse to sell items to Jewish people?
(just an example)
What part of the constitution requires a person to serve another person contrary to their conscience and religious principles?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies