Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2014, 04:56 PM

679 posts, read 615,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Oh so you say you have to be a country club and that's ok? LOL

Your post makes no sense.
Except legally speaking my post does. Its a very, very basic understanding taught in pretty much every high school in America that came about after the whole Civil Rights movement. Civil Rights Acts create protected conditions that you can't refuse service to on the basis of one of those conditions. In the case of Oregon with the cake situation you were alluding to, their state laws hold that discriminating against customers based on their sexual orientation is against the law.

Old 03-11-2014, 05:01 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,021,070 times
I wasn't "alluding" to anything just using that as an example. Now you said a private club is fine doing what they want...........why do you agree with that and yet turn around and say a private business can't? If a cake shop declared they were a private cake shop I guess you are fine with it? Apparently so. I see some clown staggering in and I own I bar do I still have to serve him if I'm a bar owner? I guess in your eyes yes because he has a RIGHT to be served.

Old 03-11-2014, 05:05 PM

46,973 posts, read 26,018,521 times
Quote:
If you own a private business you can serve who you please. Why is that so hard to understand? If you **** off enough folks then your business will close. Simple stuff unless your a liberal. May not be good business but it is reality...........something you folks can't seem to grasp.
Oh, it used to be great business.

Old 03-11-2014, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviastar View Post
If a restaurant owner did not want to serve dinner single women over 30 because his religion (of which he is the founder and sole adherent) dictates they are men's chattel and have no business being unmarried and continually pregnant, would you support that? If a bus driver refuses me and my wife access to the bus because we are an interracial couple because his religious beliefs dictate that blacks and whites cannot sit together, is this tolerable? The fact is that people have a right to practice whatever beliefs they can come up with on their own time. But in the public sphere, in society, do we really want this plurality/collection of individual beliefs to hinder ordinary commerce and everyday quality of life? Is it really the society we want when people are turning away other people because they have some strange notion that another person is objectionable - based not on actual experience but simply because some book or idea they have tells them so?

"Religions" are impermanent, are numerous, and are subject to so much individual interpretation that it just becomes an impediment to everyday life.
Bus driver can't do that as he works for the city. Restaurant owner can. You don't like it don't go back and if nobody else likes it they don't go back and the restaurant goes out of business. Is this too complicated for you folks?

Old 03-11-2014, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Oh, it used to be great business.
In come the liberal idiotic posts.............when you can't defend common sense that is what liberals do.

Old 03-11-2014, 05:09 PM

You should talk to your democrat heroes about segregation............your guys fought FOR it. Learn your history before spouting nonsense.

Old 03-11-2014, 05:14 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,952,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikBEggs View Post
Freedom of religion means you may practice any religion you'd like as long as it does not infringe on the rights of others. Using religion as a justification to infringe on the rights of gays is not what is included in the First Amendment, nor is the First Amendment applicable in that defense.
^^^^^

This.

Otherwise business owners will say:

"I don't want non-Christians patronizing my restaurant"

"I don't want unmarried couples renting an apartment in my building."

"I don't want gay people as patients in my medical practice."

"Our company does not sell homes to Muslims in our development."

Anyone who understands business law and the concept of public accommodations in the US knows you can not use "religion" as an excuse to discriminate against people.

Old 03-11-2014, 05:20 PM

46,973 posts, read 26,018,521 times
Quote:
In come the liberal idiotic posts.............when you can't defend common sense that is what liberals do.
The point eluded you? Segregated lunch counters were defended on a basis of "If you own a private business you can serve who you please." They didn't "**** off enough folks", because the majority of their clients considered not sharing a space with those they considered beneath them valuable. It was common sense to cater to that prejudice.

The market won't correct bigoted behavior if the bigots have the purchasing power.

Old 03-11-2014, 05:22 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,221,070 times
"Christians" throw a temper tantrum if they are not told "merry Christmas" and yet they would be fine with being refused service all together.

Riiiiiiight.

The FIRST time a Christian was refused service from any business they would be sputtering and spitting mad.

Old 03-11-2014, 05:23 PM

679 posts, read 615,250 times
Quote:
I wasn't "alluding" to anything just using that as an example. Now you said a private club is fine doing what they want...........why do you agree with that and yet turn around and say a private business can't? If a cake shop declared they were a private cake shop I guess you are fine with it? Apparently so. I see some clown staggering in and I own I bar do I still have to serve him if I'm a bar owner? I guess in your eyes yes because he has a RIGHT to be served.
Yes, if the cake business wants to only open for private members and serve them then they can choose who will and won't be a member. BUT if they are open to the general public then they must adhere to anti-discrimination laws, its as simple as that.

And your bar analogy doesn't hold unless intoxication were a protected group, which it isn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies