Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2014, 08:09 PM

28,681 posts, read 18,811,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Thank goodness most people aren't that easily pushed around, or we'd still be under Jim Crow laws! Imagine if every black person back then had just rolled over, and said "oh well, guess I'll just go somewhere they want me." I'm glad they didn't do that, and had the cajones to fight for what is right & just. So no, it's not that easy - unless you're the type who turns a blind eye to injustices, simply because it's easier to go somewhere else.
Even religious black people don't favor laws that would permit religious rules for the denial of public accomodation. That's because we know that anti-gay laws are just stalking horses--the nose of the camel in the tent door--to more draconian laws.

Today, it's "no gays because God said so." Tomorrow, it's "no atheists because God said so." By Saturday, it's "no blacks because God said so."

We know that will happen because we've already been there within my own personal memory, when whites denied access to blacks "because God said so." The people who said that then are still alive and still saying it today.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Wedding is a once in a lifetime thing. You go find a photog......why is this so hard?
Interestingly. I'm a portrait photographer. A good friend of mine--and a member of my men's bible study group--is a wedding photographer. We were discussing this very thing a couple of months ago in the bible study. We came to the conclusion that such a deal would provide a great opportunity to introduce Jesus where otherwise Jesus might not be.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:14 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,021,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Even religious black people don't favor laws that would permit religious rules for the denial of public accomodation. That's because we know that anti-gay laws are just stalking horses--the nose of the camel in the tent door--to more draconian laws.

Today, it's "no gays because God said so." Tomorrow, it's "no atheists because God said so." By Saturday, it's "no blacks because God said so."

We know that will happen because we've already been there within my own personal memory, when whites denied access to blacks "because God said so." The people who said that then are still alive and still saying it today.
No most are dying............or are dead. You should be happy. Most just want to live their lives but the **** stirrers get all this crap going.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:16 PM

30,360 posts, read 51,970,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
Then you have attended the wrong church. Most churches do not push people away. That's way there is open arms in church.

But all is welcome in the Lords House and If some is troubled or seeking something real , most churches will help anyone.
That should be true, and in many/most cases (especially around here) it is... but they do have the right to discriminate, unlike a public-serving business, and exercise that right from time to time. Would you consider stories such as these to be good examples of Christian behavior?

Small Ky. church bans interracial couples - CBS News (I love how they "deny racism" - lolol, at least own up to it!)
http://www.ydr.com/local/ci_25042470...hip-denies-him
Gay patient says Catholic chaplain refused him last rites - The Washington Post

Quote:
But to ask a Church to Accept gay marriage is totally different!

It is a Sin. For the Believer in Christ!
I don't think anyone is asking churches/temples to "accept" anything, and they certainly aren't being asked to perform ceremonies they don't feel adhere to their beliefs.

But just as an FYI: The original Bible says nothing of homosexuality, and I've yet to meet a Christian who could explain that one away. You can believe or not believe whatever you want, just admit that the "gay stuff" was added by man waaaaay after the fact... because it sure isn't in the Torah! Also, I find it interesting how focused some Christians are on the gay sin, while completely ignoring all the others. Churches are chock-full of fornicators, adulterers, addicts, people who use G-d's name in vain, covet their neighbors, etc. But teh gays are where you draw the line? Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if they even welcomed an ex-con murderer before a gay couple! Speaking of hypocrisy, I'll turn that accusation right back at'cha.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:17 PM

2,523 posts, read 2,204,855 times
The bigger question is why do Christians think they are the first people to marry?

Old 03-11-2014, 08:17 PM

30,360 posts, read 51,970,126 times
Quote:
There lies the problem.............
As I said, if you have a problem with the government's laws, write your congressperson and complain... but don't blame the people who are simply enforcing these laws!

Old 03-11-2014, 08:18 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,532,090 times
The 1st Amendment has nothing to do with operating a business. Constitutionally, business is covered under the Commerce Clause. Businesses operate in the public sphere, and are subject to the regulations set by Congress and the Executive branch.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:18 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,765,220 times
Quote:
I don't know why gay folks don't just start their own church? Why is that so hard to figure out? They would rather wail and moan............the wailers and moaners are for political gain. Most want to just live their lives. But this gets the left all wound out to vote and that is how they win elections sadly.
Quite a few have. But churches are not considered public accommodations, and retain the right to exclude gays if they wish.

Edited to add: So I'm not sure what your comment has to do with freedom of religion.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:22 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,021,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
As I said, if you have a problem with the government's laws, write your congressperson and complain... but don't blame the people who are simply enforcing these laws!
What law says you have to bake a cake?

Old 03-11-2014, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Why do you libs keep going back to the slave days? Is it that much in your head. My argument has nothing to do with slavery. This is 2014. That is what YOU folks keep telling me anyway. Times have changed on and on and when you see an argument you can't address you scream "Jim Crow". Cmon folks. You have to do better.

What rights are being violated again? What right do YOU have to have a cake made for you? Do you folks even realize how crazy you sound? It appears not.
You're using the same argument that didn't work then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies