Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2014, 08:31 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,221,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
So If i wanted a cake at a gay church and they denied me would it make national news? I doubt it. Point is being completely missed by all in this thread.

This is how democrats get votes..........nonsense.
Churches do not offer cakes for sale. ANY church can deny a wedding ceremony for anyone they choose to.

A CHURCH is not the same thing as a BUSINESS.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:31 PM

30,360 posts, read 51,970,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantown View Post
Why would a gay church sell cake?
A better question might be why not??

But despite KU's attempt to make a point, churches aren't businesses... and every "gay church" (gay-friendly is what they're really called) I've ever attended has been 100% welcoming, all-inclusive, and accepting of any people with good intentions. They might not be so keen on someone who displays open bigotry, but aside from that would be VERY unlikely to turn away a visitor. I'm not only straight, but also Jewish, and they didn't turn me away!

Old 03-11-2014, 08:32 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,765,220 times
Quote:
So If i wanted a cake at a gay church and they denied me would it make national news? I doubt it. Point is being completely missed by all in this thread.

This is how democrats get votes..........nonsense.
Ummm, what? Unless your church is in the business of selling cakes to the public, you are wasting a perfectly good snit on a non-issue.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:35 PM

28,681 posts, read 18,811,357 times
Quote:
You folks think you decide who is a "protected" class.
Actually, that's spelled out in black and white by the specific laws themselves. For instance, the federal Civil Rights Act of 1964:

Quote:
TITLE II--INJUNCTIVE RELIEF AGAINST DISCRIMINATION IN PLACES OF PUBLIC ACCOMMODATION
SEC. 201. (a) All persons shall be entitled to the full and equal enjoyment of the goods, services, facilities, and privileges, advantages, and accommodations of any place of public accommodation, as defined in this section, without discrimination or segregation on the ground of race, color, religion, or national origin.
(b) Each of the following establishments which serves the public is a place of public accommodation within the meaning of this title if its operations affect commerce, or if discrimination or segregation by it is supported by State action:
(1) any inn, hotel, motel, or other establishment which provides lodging to transient guests, other than an establishment located within a building which contains not more than five rooms for rent or hire and which is actually occupied by the proprietor of such establishment as his residence;
(2) any restaurant, cafeteria, lunchroom, lunch counter, soda fountain, or other facility principally engaged in selling food for consumption on the premises, including, but not limited to, any such facility located on the
premises of any retail establishment; or any gasoline station;
(3) any motion picture house, theater, concert hall, sports arena, stadium or other place of exhibition or entertainment; and
(4) any establishment (A)(i) which is physically located within the premises of any establishment otherwise covered by this subsection, or (ii) within the premises of which is physically located any such covered establishment, and (B) which holds itself out as serving patrons of such covered establishment.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:35 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,952,281 times
Default Wait a minute ...

Okay, everybody, let's take a deep breath and step back for a minute.

The reason we are discussing whether a bakery can sell a wedding cake to a gay couple goes back to a court case involving a bakery called Masterpiece Cake Shop and a Colorado judge named Robert Spencer. There was another case involving a photography business in New Mexico. The legal rulings by the judges said in their decisions that public businesses cannot discriminate and pick and choose who they would would sell their products and services to.

Law makers in the state of Arizona wanted to pass a "religious liberty" statute that did not say anything about cakes, photographers, gays, lesbians, or wedding ceremonies. The statute was worded in a vague manner that would provide a legal exemption to business owners who want to discriminate against certain clients because it offends their religios sensibilities. That law passed in Arizona, but Gov. Jan Brewer vetoed it ... so now it's history.

So far, the courts have been siding with the gay couples who sued to have access to the goods and services these businesses provide. Therefore, my point is: the law is apparently on the side of opposition to discriminatory practices. If the New Mexico photographers or the Denver cake shop win an appeal in the US Supreme Court then it will be another story. Are these businesses appealing? I don't think so.

In his 19 page ruling Judge Spencer spelled out all the reasons why non-discrimination law in the US is constitutional, valid and legal.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:37 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,021,070 times
"Lot's" of gay churches? LOL.........I've never seen one............anywhere. Hey if so get married there. Why is that so hard for gay folks to figure out? My kids went to catholic school and had a lesbian couple who adopted a kid and guess what..........they didnt' throw em out like libs think. One was a beech but the other was nice. I guess playing the part.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
"I personally haven't seen something, therefore...."
You know a town that only has one place that people worship? An organized township? Which one?

Old 03-11-2014, 08:40 PM

Quote:
No most are dying............or are dead. You should be happy. Most just want to live their lives but the **** stirrers get all this crap going.
Boomers are still going strong and still firmly control industry and politics. Most of the members of the real birthrate boom (the twin peaks after WWII and the Korean War) are still alive, and all of us from that period remember the time apartheid was American.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:42 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,765,220 times
Quote:
"Lot's" of gay churches? LOL.........I've never seen one............anywhere. Hey if so get married there. Why is that so hard for gay folks to figure out? My kids went to catholic school and had a lesbian couple who adopted a kid and guess what..........they didnt' throw em out like libs think. One was a beech but the other was nice. I guess playing the part.
Apparently, you either live under a rock or don't know how to operate the google. Try searching "gay church".

Old 03-11-2014, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
But just as an FYI: The original Bible says nothing of homosexuality, and I've yet to meet a Christian who could explain that one away.
No, you just haven't accepted the explanations. It's in the New Testament clearly enough.

Quote:
Also, I find it interesting how focused some Christians are on the gay sin, while completely ignoring all the others. Churches are chock-full of fornicators, adulterers, addicts, people who use G-d's name in vain, covet their neighbors, etc. But teh gays are where you draw the line? Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if they even welcomed an ex-con murderer before a gay couple! Speaking of hypocrisy, I'll turn that accusation right back at'cha.
And there you do make the point Jesus Himself would make. Homosexuality is there, but it's in the middle of a list that catches nearly all Christians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies