Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2014, 09:25 PM

28,678 posts, read 18,801,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
So you agree folks can make a cake for who they want?
Churches can, if there are any churches that make cakes.

But so can, say, a private club that caters only to its membership.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
You're free to believe that to your heart's content but if you run a business which is open to the general public then that is a BUSINESS not a religious organization and thus you are subject to regular business laws including laws against discrimination. So, if you engage in illegal discriminatory action you will be sued into poverty and rightly so.
Clearly you haven't read a single one of my other posts in this thread.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:26 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,909,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
A BAKERY is a BUSINESS, not a CHURCH.
That's what the right wing nutjobs never understood. They made the same stupid claims wrt the health care regulation (specifically women's reproductive care being covered) and the SCotUS slapped them down as the dullards they are. They're still too stupid to understand even basic things.

Though I can't say I'm surprised because they get virtually EVERYTHING wrong every time.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:27 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,495,242 times
Quote:
You folks are insane. If you deny folks you won't make money...........which is what a business is for. But if I see a bunch of harley guys coming in killing my business I have a right to tell them to get out..........right? Or do THEY have the right to just come in and fight and destroy my business. You tell me.
Fighting and destroying your business is willful property damage and you have every right to remove them from your business, but that is not analogous with gays now, is it?

Old 03-11-2014, 09:29 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,214,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
"Not really" what?

That was not the issue at all, there was no such "agreement." The church was totally running the rental of its facilities as a commercial business. That has also been an issue with other kinds of businesses, such as bookstores, and many churches have changed their practices--severely curtailing operations that fall into that category.
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/18/nyregion/18grove.html

You were saying?

By applying for and accepting the tax breaks, they AGREED to follow the rules set forth as part of getting that tax break.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Why do you libs keep going back to the slave days? Is it that much in your head. My argument has nothing to do with slavery. This is 2014. That is what YOU folks keep telling me anyway. Times have changed on and on and when you see an argument you can't address you scream "Jim Crow". Cmon folks. You have to do better.

What rights are being violated again? What right do YOU have to have a cake made for you? Do you folks even realize how crazy you sound? It appears not.
We have a right to not be discriminated against by business owners using their religion, much like blacks have the right to not be descriminated against by business owners, or Jews, or Mexicans, or Asians, on and on. Why should business owners be allowed to use their religion to discriminate, period?

Old 03-11-2014, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/18/nyregion/18grove.html

You were saying?

By applying for and accepting the tax breaks, they AGREED to follow the rules set forth as part of getting that tax break.
The one I'm talking about was in Georgia, and they were cabins in the woods, not a seaside pavillion. I'll have to search for it.

My point though--and your case does not invalidate it--is that if a church is running a commercial operation that is open to the public, that business will come under the authority of the law like any other.

Last edited by Ralph_Kirk; 03-11-2014 at 10:01 PM..

Old 03-11-2014, 09:57 PM

Quote:
So If i wanted a cake at a gay church and they denied me would it make national news? I doubt it. Point is being completely missed by all in this thread.

This is how democrats get votes..........nonsense.
A church can refuse who ever they want, gay, straight, black or white, but a church, gay or straight, is not a business. You have lost the point.

Old 03-11-2014, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
No, you just haven't accepted the explanations. It's in the New Testament clearly enough.

And there you do make the point Jesus Himself would make. Homosexuality is there, but it's in the middle of a list that catches nearly all Christians.
The original bible, not the new testament. Where is it mentioned in the original bible?

Old 03-11-2014, 10:11 PM

Quote:
I agree with you...........all are. You don't get thrown out on the street so to say anywhere. I was making a point of why gays don't just start a gay church and get married there. They can't.
What point are you trying to make KUchief? A church is not a business and any church can refuse to marry anyone they so choose to not perform the service for. But even if we started or opened our own church, that does not mean we can just marry gay people and it would be legal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies