Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2014, 09:05 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,000,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Harrier's church is gay friendly.

The official term is "open and welcoming".

Two gay men who are "married" are prominent leaders.

Harrier has also been elected as a leader, but it will be very hard for him to change the prevailing culture and return the church to sound doctrine.
I agree with you...........all are. You don't get thrown out on the street so to say anywhere. I was making a point of why gays don't just start a gay church and get married there. They can't.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:08 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,184,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
What "right" is spelled out that somebody has to bake you a cake? Show me that "right" you seem to think you have.
This concept is not registering with you and it is not a new concept. Many posters here have all been very patient and have explained it to you over and over... I'm not going to explain it again.

Here is a link to the Southern Poverty Law Center. It has a lot of resources and articles on hate groups etc. You can see where discrimination can lead to (not always, of course). I suggest you take a look. Maybe you can learn something here.

Southern Poverty Law Center

Old 03-11-2014, 09:09 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,203,370 times
Quote:
I agree with you...........all are. You don't get thrown out on the street so to say anywhere. I was making a point of why gays don't just start a gay church and get married there. They can't.
Who is trying to make ANY church marry them?

Again, CHURCHES can turn away anyone for any reason they choose.

Even in podunk Mississippi there are churches willing to have a wedding for same sex couples.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Who is trying to make ANY church marry them?

Again, CHURCHES can turn away anyone for any reason they choose.

Even in podunk Mississippi there are churches willing to have a wedding for same sex couples.
So you agree folks can make a cake for who they want?

Old 03-11-2014, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
This concept is not registering with you and it is not a new concept. Many posters here have all been very patient and have explained it to you over and over... I'm not going to explain it again.

Here is a link to the Southern Poverty Law Center. It has a lot of resources and articles on hate groups etc. You can see where discrimination can lead to (not always, of course). I suggest you take a look. Maybe you can learn something here.

Southern Poverty Law Center
Your heroes? Sue away............lol

Old 03-11-2014, 09:19 PM

2,687 posts, read 2,185,093 times
Quote:
Church does not = business.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:24 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Not really.
"Not really" what?

Quote:
The "church" you are talking about AGREED to rent to the general public in exchange for special tax status. If they weren't being greedy and trying to get out of paying taxes, then they wouldn't be in trouble for breaking their agreement.
That was not the issue at all, there was no such "agreement." The church was totally running the rental of its facilities as a commercial business. That has also been an issue with other kinds of businesses, such as bookstores, and many churches have changed their practices--severely curtailing operations that fall into that category.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:24 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,184,775 times
Quote:
Your heroes? Sue away............lol
No, the Southern Poverty Law Center is not my hero because organizations are not people (yes, they are made up of people). Anyway, they are a good resource of what is out there. I have no reason to sue anyone so I don't know why you would suggest I, "Sue away..." Thanks though!

Old 03-11-2014, 09:25 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,203,370 times
Quote:
A BAKERY is a BUSINESS, not a CHURCH.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:25 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,905,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I discussed that over lunch with my pastor about year ago. I'm not going to budge on the stance that homosexual activity is forbidden behavior for Christians.
You're free to believe that to your heart's content but if you run a business which is open to the general public then that is a BUSINESS not a religious organization and thus you are subject to regular business laws including laws against discrimination. So, if you engage in illegal discriminatory action you will be sued into poverty and rightly so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies