Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2014, 08:46 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,221,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
"Lot's" of gay churches? LOL.........I've never seen one............anywhere. Hey if so get married there. Why is that so hard for gay folks to figure out? My kids went to catholic school and had a lesbian couple who adopted a kid and guess what..........they didnt' throw em out like libs think. One was a beech but the other was nice. I guess playing the part.
No one is forcing ANY church to have a wedding ceremony for anyone. Churches can refuse a service for anyone. A BAKERY is not a CHURCH though.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:47 PM

10,770 posts, read 5,687,611 times
Playing Devil's advocate. . .

Gay Couple: "Mr. Baker, we would like you to bake us a cake for our gay wedding."

Mr. Baker: "I'm sorry, I plan on being on vacation at that time and won't be able to do it. Congratulations and best of luck with your wedding!"

Old 03-11-2014, 08:53 PM

30,360 posts, read 51,970,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
No, you just haven't accepted the explanations. It's in the New Testament clearly enough.
It is in SOME versions of the New Testament, and in NO versions (that I've read) of the Torah/OT. But as I said, you are free to believe as you choose... as long as those beliefs aren't used as an excuse to violate public commerce laws, knock yourself out. But when people claim "G-d" is against homosexuality, I can't help pointing out the lack of any such thing in the OT. Isn't that supposed to be the word of G-d?

Quote:
And there you do make the point Jesus Himself would make. Homosexuality is there, but it's in the middle of a list that catches nearly all Christians.
Exactly. And yet some Christians (not you, necessarily) seem to have a particular disdain for homosexuals. Can you explain that? Off topic, but something I have always wondered.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:53 PM

28,681 posts, read 18,811,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Churches do not offer cakes for sale. ANY church can deny a wedding ceremony for anyone they choose to.

A CHURCH is not the same thing as a BUSINESS.
Usually. A church has to be careful of when it runs a business.

The issue is that a church must always draw a clear distinction between the "sacred" and the "profane." "Sacred" means that which is holy, sanctified, and dedicated only to God; "profane" is that which is made available to the world at large.

A church that keeps a resource sacred--holy, sanctified, and dedicated only to God--will not be forced to administer that resource according to public accommodation laws. So a church that strictly offers its sanctuary only to members of its own denomination or sect--even if a fee is paid--won't have to make its sanctuary available to others. That goes for things such as bookstores, cafeterias, et cetera.

But if it has made its resources "profane" by having offered them outside the sanctity of its own membership, then the government has authority.

One example a few years ago was a church that owned resort cabins that had for years rented out to all kinds of corporations, businesses, and individuals for vacation getaways. When a gay couple attempted to rent one for a wedding and was denied, they went to court and won. Had the church consistently limited its use only to other churches and Christian groups, they would have won the case.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Exactly. And yet some Christians (not you, necessarily) seem to have a particular disdain for homosexuals. Can you explain that? Off topic, but something I have always wondered.
I discussed that over lunch with my pastor about year ago. I'm not going to budge on the stance that homosexual activity is forbidden behavior for Christians. Yet, there are many other forbidden behaviors for Christians, and very few of them do we require people to be totally free from failure before we are willing to accept them within the Body of Christ.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
It is in SOME versions of the New Testament, and in NO versions (that I've read) of the Torah/OT. But as I said, you are free to believe as you choose... as long as those beliefs aren't used as an excuse to violate public commerce laws, knock yourself out. But when people claim "G-d" is against homosexuality, I can't help pointing out the lack of any such thing in the OT. Isn't that supposed to be the word of G-d?.
Well, if you are a Jew, I already accept the fact that you don't believe what I believe about the New Testament...and the issue of homosexuality isn't even the beginning of that disagreement.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:01 PM

30,360 posts, read 51,970,126 times
Quote:
"Lot's" of gay churches? LOL.........I've never seen one............anywhere. Hey if so get married there. Why is that so hard for gay folks to figure out? My kids went to catholic school and had a lesbian couple who adopted a kid and guess what..........they didnt' throw em out like libs think. One was a beech but the other was nice. I guess playing the part.
We aren't discussing gay marriage, let alone religious freedom in churches, so this isn't relevant... but yes, of course they would choose to marry in a gay-friendly church!

I don't know about the rest of the world, but we do have lots of gay-friendly churches around here. You can even find one in your neck of the woods, possibly, using one of many websites:

Find a Church. Near You. Or Around the Globe. | gaychurch.orggaychurch.org

Old 03-11-2014, 09:01 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,024,945 times
Quote:
Harrier's church is gay friendly.

The official term is "open and welcoming".

Two gay men who are "married" are prominent leaders.

Harrier has also been elected as a leader, but it will be very hard for him to change the prevailing culture and return the church to sound doctrine.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:02 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,021,070 times
Quote:
I discussed that over lunch with my pastor about year ago. I'm not going to budge on the stance that homosexual activity is forbidden behavior for Christians. Yet, there are many other forbidden behaviors for Christians, and very few of them do we require people to be totally free from failure before we are willing to accept them within the Body of Christ.
Kirk you are gonna catch all kinds of hell for that one. Confession is how catholics get back to reality. I have been there many times as a child and think it's a joke myself. Now I do believe in God and everything that comes with it but I think God has more things to worry about than what I do.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:04 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,221,070 times
Quote:
Usually. A church has to be careful of when it runs a business.

The issue is that a church must always draw a clear distinction between the "sacred" and the "profane." "Sacred" means that which is holy, sanctified, and dedicated only to God; "profane" is that which is made available to the world at large.

A church that keeps a resource sacred--holy, sanctified, and dedicated only to God--will not be forced to administer that resource according to public accommodation laws. So a church that strictly offers its sanctuary only to members of its own denomination or sect--even if a fee is paid--won't have to make its sanctuary available to others. That goes for things such as bookstores, cafeterias, et cetera.

But if it has made its resources "profane" by having offered them outside the sanctity of its own membership, then the government has authority.

One example a few years ago was a church that owned resort cabins that had for years rented out to all kinds of corporations, businesses, and individuals for vacation getaways. When a gay couple attempted to rent one for a wedding and was denied, they went to court and won. Had the church consistently limited its use only to other churches and Christian groups, they would have won the case.
Not really. The "church" you are talking about AGREED to rent to the general public in exchange for special tax status. If they weren't being greedy and trying to get out of paying taxes, then they wouldn't be in trouble for breaking their agreement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies