Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2014, 08:28 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,013,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
I agree with Gizmo. Pets shouldn't be considered disposable but too many treat them as such. We need to pass laws against this inhumane treatment. Instead of telling them they should give up their dog, she should have been telling them to use birth control until the dog they committed to taking care of passed away. Yes.

personally I think people who are so quick to dispose of their pets in this manner should be entered into some sort of registry barring them from ever owning another pet as they have already shown their disposable mindset today's animals they've committed to taken care of.
When the animal was there first, sorry, but baby has to come second.

And to the poster who said they would kill any pitbull they see on their property all I can say is kill my dog, there will be full scale war.
You would not be the first war i have been in.......You gave up any rights when you allowed your dog to endanger my family... on MY property...........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2014, 09:12 PM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,080,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
I don't care if you do clean it up.

Why do you allow your pittbull to poop on someone else's lawn ?

Keep your mutt off other person's lawns !

Because.

She's the boss.

If I don't allow it, she'll rip my head off.

She's a pitbull, ya know?

Old 03-29-2014, 11:10 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,170,524 times
I have friends with great pitbulls, and I have a friend whose Corgi was killed by one, right in front of us, while we were walking our dogs on their leashes. (Why it didn't attack my dog I have no idea; she was elderly at the time and could never have defended herself.) What bothers me about pitbulls is that 9 times out of 10 when I read about a child being killed or maimed by one is that the owner seems astonished, and swears the dog was "really good-natured" and "never showed any signs of aggression before." Assuming those statements are true, that's why I'll never trust one. I believe they are great dogs - until they aren't.

Old 03-29-2014, 11:36 PM

898 posts, read 1,218,260 times
every month there is an article in the media about pitbulls killing people. here's are two recent ones:

Pit bull kills owner's 4-year-old daughter in La. | Mail Online

Petition to save pit bull that viciously mauled four-year-old boy has 44,000 signatures | Mail Online

for every good a pitbull does, 1000 do the opposite. for me, they are just trophy or bully-buddy pets you bring with you to the yard to show off. that type of animal is unnecessary in a civilized society.

Old 03-30-2014, 01:40 AM

2,209 posts, read 2,316,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erratikmind View Post
I'm sure that pit bulls can be stellar pets. However, with all of the tragic pit bull incidents, why would a parent take that risk with their children?

Hopefully, the death of this 4 year old is a wake up call for some parents.
Dobermans, Akitas, Chow-Chows, Rottweilers, German Shepherds -- they have the capacity to maim and kill. In fact, a lot of dogs, including the Bull Mastiff, Mastiff and Rottweiler, have stronger jaws and more powerful bites than do Pit Bulls. So, if families with young kids shouldn't have Pit Bulls, they shouldn't have any of the above-referenced breeds either.
I don't disagree that Pit Bulls can be and sometimes are dangerous, but so are a lot of other dog breeds.

Old 03-30-2014, 02:26 AM

2,209 posts, read 2,316,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanizorc View Post
That's why there exists the distinction between "normal" aggressive dog breeds (e.g. German Shepherds) whose aggression is controlled and disciplined, versus "abnormal" aggression (e.g. Pit Bulls) whose aggression cannot be controlled to nearly the same extent. That's why German Shepherds are used much more often by police and military forces than Pit Bulls. Pits are just too unpredictable, and as a result they pose a hazard.
False!! Have you seen how many Pit Bulls (APBT) and Am-Staffs are used as therapy dogs? The kind of dogs that are brought to nursing homes or hospitals to socialize with the elderly and/or the sick and infirm? Killing machines would not be brought into these types of places. And a German Shepherd can be just as aggressive and deadly as a Pit Bull. As one poster mentioned above, before Pit Bulls became Public Enemy Number One, German Shepherds were at the top of the Ten Most Wanted List. (Dobermans and Rotties had their day as well.)

Old 03-30-2014, 08:34 AM

30,251 posts, read 23,723,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
No one Hates pit bulls. They are born innocent puppies.
They hate the aftermath that irresbonsible pet owners have unleashed on the innocent.
No one said Only pit bulls attack.no ne said that's the only dog breed capable of aggressive behavior.
The bewilderment ,for me Any way, is the nonchalant nasty responses AND ATTITUDE to the horrors SOME pitbulls inflicted, it just amazes me .
I hate to paint a brush over all pitbull owners because I know some of you are wonderful. As are your dogs .But my goodness ,I don't think I've ever ever seen this kind of behavior and attitude from The majority of intelligent dog loving pet owners -"If you were afraid of pit bulls, then you're an idiot." Ridiculous. Don't the responsible pitbull owners in this forum agree?
I guess there is a nasty VICIOUS level of pitbull owners as there is a nasty vicious level of pit bulls
No. What we hate is when people are presented facts and still refuse to listen to them, rather, they jump on the media bandwagon, (really, c'mon, who the hell believes anything the media says anymore? Haven't they proven, time and again, that they either don't know what the hell they are talking about, or that they produce stories for sensationalism and don't always get the facts right...because telling someone that a large mixed breed killed a kid doesn't garner the same attention as blaming it on the Hated Dog Of The Year), and start stereotyping.

If you want to talk about people with nasty attitudes, look at the other side who tells people to shut up, who tells people they are idiots, who tells people that they don't know what they are talking about, despite evidence presented.

Do pit bulls attack? Of course. They are dogs.
Can pit bulls seriously hurt or kill someone? Of course. They are dogs.

Did you know that ANY dog can kill? Yes, even that 4 pound Pomeranian can kill. In fact, a 4 pound Pomeranian killed a baby. Here you go: Pet Pomeranian kills 6-week-old baby girl | Amarillo.com | Amarillo Globe-News

Did we see the same type of backlash when that story came up? No, we didn't. Because Pomeranians are not the Hated Dog Of The Year.

The fact of the matter is, ALL dogs can seriously injure or kill people. ALL. DOGS. ALL of them. Every. Last. Dog. On. This. Planet. Can injure or kill someone. All of them. From tiny to large, they can all seriously injure or kill.

They are dogs.

Where people get in to trouble is not even remotely understanding dogs, or understanding dog body language. Dogs do not "turn" for no reason at all. There is ALWAYS a reason, and it's usually because of ignorant humans who don't have a damn clue how dogs think, how they communicate, and how they interpret your actions.

Further, you never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never leave a small child alone with a dog, I don't care how friendly, and wonderful, and caring, and "loving" the dog appears to be around the child, you do not leave a dog alone with a small child. Ever. Too many parents have found that out the hard way, but unfortunately, those fools blame the dog. No, we, the humans, are the idiots who don't take the time out to learn about dogs.

Now, maybe every single dog owner on this forum knows how to read their dogs, and is not an idiot dog owner, but don't even for a second think that many dog owners out there are not complete morons. Why do you think the dog training industry is a multi-billion dollar industry? Because people get dogs without a single clue how to take care of them. A good chunk of people don't even know what kind of dog they have! It isn't just putting food and water in front of their faces, and throwing a ball for them every so often...but that's what a lot of people think.

The large majority of the time, when you have a situation where a dog attacks someone, some human is at fault, not the dog. A child walks by a fence, sticks their fingers in the fence to pet the dog, or taunt the dog, and the child gets bit. Everyone wants to scream and gnash their teeth about the horrible dog. How about the parents? Why didn't the parents teach that child not to do stupid crap like that? Why don't parents teach children how to act around dogs?

You want to see the stupidity of parents when it comes to teaching children about dogs? Go to a dog park and just watch. You will see plenty of parents bringing their small children in to dog parks, and then they go sit down and start blabbering away to other adults. Meanwhile, their child is walking up to some strange dog. For the most part, no, nothing will happen, but if you are dumb enough to bring your small child in to a dog park, and you are dumb enough to be the type who doesn't pay attention to your dog or your child, because you have this false belief that all the dogs there are super friendly, then you are also dumb enough not to understand that how we act says different things to dogs. They are not human beings, and until we idiotic humans start to learn that, we will continue to have attacks, by any dog. Any. Dog.

What burns me up is when people jump on the idiotic bandwagon that the media has pulled up in front of their door, cheerily saying, "hop on! let's hate together!", and refuse to educate themselves about dogs. In this article, it is very, very easy to show how false the label was on this particular dog because pitbulls do not get up to 130 pounds. That is not a pit bull. Could the dog have had some pit bull in it? Perhaps, but it's NOT a pit bull.

Let's say there was a campaign out to get Border Collies. Let's say that Border Collies were the Hated Dog Of The Year. I have a dog who is part Border Collie. That's like saying if my dog bites someone, then it must be that all Border Collies are vicious dogs. Nevermind that my dog is mostly black lab, let's forget that part because we want to hate on Border Collies, so that's the part of the dog that we will focus on. You see how stupid that is? You can't blame the Border Collie part of my dog, and you can't even blame the fact that my dog has Black Lab in him, if we decided that Black Labs were to one day be the Hated Dog Of The Year. What you can say is, 'mixed breed'. And then what you can do is find out the actual facts that led up to the attack, instead of splashing some bullspit headline to garner attention and more anger to drive your story to the top of the list. That's crap reporting.

Pit bulls are being euthanized left and right. People have had their pit bulls taken from them simply because they "look vicious". Yes, it most certainly has happened. The dogs in question didn't actually do anything wrong, but those dogs were taken away from the owners because a jogger got scared while jogging. Or a meter reader reported back to the city that there was a "vicious" pit bull on the property, despite the fact that the dog didn't do squat to the meter reader.

That is why some of us come on here to defend, especially when the story clearly states the dog was 130 pounds. Pit bulls do not get to 130 pounds. That is not a pit bull.

I do not think if someone is afraid of dogs that they are an idiot. I DO think that people are being idiotic if they base those fears solely on "what they heard" and not actual experience. When I was younger, about 17, I was bitten by a dog. I was minding my own business, going for a walk. The dog charged down the hill at me, and circled me. I was scared to death, this was a huge, white dog. (Not a pit bull.) I had been taught not to run, if that ever happened. Yes, the parents told us that, one time. "If you ever get chased by a dog, do not run, it will make things worse." (In many cases that is very true, it can trigger the prey drive in a dog.) So, despite the fear, I continued walking, looking forward, and hoping to all hope that nothing would happen.

Well, the dog ended up biting me in the back of my leg anyway. Right then the owner opened the door and called his dog off of me.

Was it the dog's fault? No. Did my parents think it was the dog's fault? No. It wasn't my fault, I was walking on the sidewalk that I had every right to walk on. So whose fault was it? How about the owners? Why was their dog not contained in some way, if outside? Either on a leash, a tie out, behind a fence, or the owner out there with the dog? I got bit, and it was the human's fault, NOT the dog's fault. The dog thought it was protecting its territory, that's how dogs think.

I was scared of dogs for awhile after that, but that was based on experience, not because someone told me something terrible about dogs. I made myself spend time with dogs. I had a friend who had a German Shepherd. I went with her when she took her dog out. I went with her when she met up with other dog owners. My first time doing that, I was scared to death of every dog that came up and sniffed at me. I thought they were all going to bite me, because that's what that white dog did. But then none of them did. And then I started to read about dogs. And then I started to learn their body language. And then I started to read about different breeds. And then I started to learn as much as I could about dogs.

Instead of fear mongering, I chose to educate myself. Why can't others do the same? I will stand up for those who cannot stand up for themselves when they are being wrongly accused of something. Always.

Last edited by Three Wolves In Snow; 03-30-2014 at 08:44 AM..

Old 03-30-2014, 08:37 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,332,477 times
Quote:
They hate the aftermath that irresbonsible pet owners have unleashed on the innocent.
No one said Only pit bulls attack.no ne said that's the only dog breed capable of aggressive behavior.
The bewilderment ,for me Any way, is the nonchalant nasty responses AND ATTITUDE to the horrors SOME pitbulls inflicted, it just amazes me .
I hate to paint a brush over all pitbull owners because I know some of you are wonderful. As are your dogs .But my goodness ,I don't think I've ever ever seen this kind of behavior and attitude from The majority of intelligent dog loving pet owners -"If you were afraid of pit bulls, then you're an idiot." Ridiculous. Don't the responsible pitbull owners in this forum agree?
I guess there is a nasty VICIOUS level of pitbull owners as there is a nasty vicious level of pit bulls
I have to believe people when that say they hate pit bulls.

People tell you who they are.....listen.

Old 03-30-2014, 08:42 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,332,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairy Guy View Post
every month there is an article in the media about pitbulls killing people. here's are two recent ones:

Pit bull kills owner's 4-year-old daughter in La. | Mail Online

Petition to save pit bull that viciously mauled four-year-old boy has 44,000 signatures | Mail Online

for every good a pitbull does, 1000 do the opposite. for me, they are just trophy or bully-buddy pets you bring with you to the yard to show off. that type of animal is unnecessary in a civilized society.
Was that a pit bull????

Old 03-30-2014, 09:07 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,023,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanizorc View Post
(a) Please provide references to these so-called "facts" that Pit Bull attacks are somehow falsified, so that we can verify them. Really, the statistics don't lie - time and again Pit Bulls top the annual lists on most serious and/or fatal attacks.

(b) Your one example of one insurance company does not offset the many insurance companies that do punish Pit Bull ownership.

(c) See above.

(d) The "bad owners" argument has been debunked over and over. There are many "bad owners" who own other breeds of dogs -- why don't we see more abused Labs or Collies going around mauling people? Owners do not make Pit Bulls dangerous; rather, owners (who do not know better) are attracted to Pit Bulls because they are a dangerous breed, and as such they think it makes them look cool. It is absolute foolishness to deny the genetics and genetic predisposition of Pit Bulls. You might as well deny the reality of animal husbandry.

(e) There are many other breeds of dogs in shelters, not only Pit Bulls. If you are going to attribute "kennel craziness" to Pit Bulls that have come from shelters, you'd also have to apply that to all the other adopted shelter animals as well. Yet, again, it is only the Pit Bulls that have been the most susceptible to attacking.

And frankly, the fact that the Pit Bulls remained calm throughout the transportation -- while other dog breeds were usually nervous -- is actually a bad sign. See, unlike normal dogs, Pit Bulls do not recognize or appreciate signs of submission, and do not know fear as a normal dog would. This is why, during an attack when a Pit Bull latches onto your leg, it will not let go regardless of how many times you beat it on the head with a pipe.
The ability of Pit Bulls to not know fear or pain is *precisely* what makes them so dangerous -- and this is also the reason Pit Bulls engage in sustained maulings rather than the less harmful bite-and-leave style of other dog breeds.
I can not even address the ignorance in this post..... it is just breathtaking..... you OBVIOUSLY know NOTHING about dogs and how they speak to humans..... and you obviously have no experience AT ALL in any way, shape or form with dogs.... go home, do some ACTUAL research and come back to me when you can speak knowledgeably about dogs, ANY breed or mix.... they are constantly speaking to us and telling us what is going on with them.... how they are feeling.... what they are thinking..... it just takes intelligence, common sense and experience to understand it......

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
If you say "no dog suddenly turns", then tell that to countless pitbull owners that claim that it happened. From a sweet dog all the time they've owned it, and it turned into a snarling killing machine in a few seconds. Many, many PB owners claim this. One reader on here said the same thing about her/his dog. So are they ALL liers or poor trainers? That's what my point is.
they don't...... they telegraph stress, fear, anxiety until they feel they have no other option but to defend themselves....

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post

You got yer info from the TV.

not just tv.... "reality" tv.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
A dog's temperament is obviously affected at least somewhat by it's breed. Some breeds were developed and bred for different purposes, and because of that some are more likely to be aggressive.

Still it seems to me that it would be hard to legislate this problem away, simply because it would be hard to prove what breed a dog was. Even if it could be done in theory, it would be difficult to do in practice.

Probably the best thing we could do is provide increased civil and criminal penalties to those pet owners who allow their dog to bite someone. No more one bite rule. All dog owners are subject to strict liability - if their pet bites someone they have to pay no matter how reasonable they may have been acting. Perhaps increase the penalties for not safely securing your dog and perhaps even strict criminal liability for you pets actions. If it wrongfully bites someone, you go to jail.
so.... my Australian Cattle Dog was on her lead, on MY driveway, next to MY garage door with 2 friends on the front porch not 20 feet away from her when she nipped a neighbor's kid on the leg after he ran towards her pushing a very noisy toy straight towards her.... and **I** should have paid that kid's medical bill?? thank goodness his parents had more sense than THAT..... those kids had been warned time and again NOT to bring such toys in to my yard because she is afraid of them..... she had to be quarantined for 10 days and has a bite record with the county.... how is THAT fair to her or to me??

and in spite of all that, she LOVES kids..... although I would never be stupid enough to leave her alone with one......

Quote:
because this rhetoric causes pitbulls to die EVERY DAY......

Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
To me yes that's a big dog. I think my MIL's jack russel terrier mix is the largest size dog I'd personally feel comfortable owning. I think her dog weighs around 15 lbs?

And I still don't see how not wanting to own a "big" dog means a person is scared or not living a full life. I've never had a desire to own a large dog and I am living a full life.
my point was that people think pitbulls weigh in excess of 70-80 lbs and up..... I suppose one COULD.... but it would be MORBIDLY obese......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies