Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 11:52 PM

5,357 posts, read 5,134,067 times

Advertisements

Think about it, first of all, a significant portion of "criminals" are nothing more than users. Then, beyond just the users, drugs provide a steady criminal source of income. If this income was eliminated, how would people who do not work or have government assistance get money? Robberies? I don't think very many people have come out ahead continually for robbing and it's not a 20 year income plan.

And if you haven't heard about how bad cartel violence is getting, go to the thread in the Great Debates section and read up on it. It's really disgusting.

But the one of the bigger issues to me are that if a person does decide to use drugs, then they are shut out from participating and working in most parts of society. So, the criminal option has more appeal. If people could go to work on monday after using drugs like people now go to work on monday after using alcohol, those users would have a greater chance at not turning to crime.

Also, once a person has a felony on their record, they are essentially doomed from ever having a good shot at achieving a good job in the future. So, then again they turn to crime.

I talked to a person in one of my college classes the other day who sold marijuana at CSU. He said a doctor proscribed him 8 ounces of weed a day due to a $30 purchased medical back issue card he got. He turned around and sold it on the street because it was 1/2 the cost of legal weed. He was making more than $1000 a day. He said adderal and ADHD drugs, (methamphetamine) and the pain meds worked the same way. People would get ridiculously large prescriptions, then sell them on the street for big profit margins. And his sentence for getting caught? A $20000 fine.

So, lets take a look at it. My, Phil P's, options for drugs: we have alcohol, tobacco, cough syrup, marijuana, pain meds, ADHD drugs/amphetamines, crack, heroin, benedryll, datura, inhalants, and amanita muscaria. ALL of them are crap drugs with the exception of marijuana, which i have not tried.

The ones I have tried have left me really wondering why anybody does them? Pain meds were boring and numbing, cough syrup had less effect than sugar or caffeine does, and benedryll was interesting in that it showed me how mentally ill people think, but it was definitely dysphoric. All the halfway decent drugs, like DIPT, are no where to be found. I will never use drugs habitually, but, people are curious, and their choices for their curiosity are the most highly addictive, damaging drugs. I say that if people were given the options, crap drugs like opiates and nicotene and alcohol use would decrease dramatically in favor better, less addicting, less potentially harmful options.

Last edited by Phil P; 05-07-2014 at 12:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 12:03 AM

2,950 posts, read 1,637,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
My, Phil P's, options for drugs: we have alcohol, tobacco, cough syrup, marijuana, pain meds, ADHD drugs/amphetamines, crack, heroin, benedryll, datura, inhalants, and amanita muscaria. ALL of them are crap drugs with the exception of marijuana, which i have not tried.
You need to try marijuana.

That is really all you need.

Much more healthier than nicotine, caffeine, alcohol or any rx prescribed drug.

Last edited by jburress; 05-07-2014 at 12:30 AM..

Old 05-07-2014, 05:06 AM

8,070 posts, read 12,779,194 times
The Real Gun Violence Issue in [Market-Ticker]

Read the above article. The writer does an excellent job discussing how the "war on drugs" fuels crime and murder.

Old 05-07-2014, 05:33 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
I support legalizing certain drugs but the example we have in real life in Colorado supports the position I've held all along.

It will do very little to stop crime. Dealers in Colorado are simply undercutting the state with their prices and because its now less risky they are doing just as well.

If a person doesn't have $250 for pot while its illegal they still don't have that kind of money for it when its legal.

Old 05-07-2014, 05:38 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,366,055 times
I am not so sure about a majority of crimes going down because you would still have a addiction problem. Junkies would still steal, commit fraud, rob people, and even kill to get that monkey off their back. There is no difference between buying drugs from state a regulated shop or from Cooley High on the corner to a junkie. That junkie still needs money and right now to feed that habit and in cases will do anything to get it.

Old 05-07-2014, 05:43 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I support legalizing certain drugs but the example we have in real life in Colorado supports the position I've held all along.

It will do very little to stop crime. Dealers in Colorado are simply undercutting the state with their prices and because its now less risky they are doing just as well.

If a person doesn't have $250 for pot while its illegal they still don't have that kind of money for it when its legal.
You don't think the price would come down as more legit businesses compete ( government stores are not legit businesses or free market)?

Old 05-07-2014, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
You don't think the price would come down as more legit businesses compete ( government stores are not legit businesses or free market)?
The government is going to set the prices just as they are doing now.

Old 05-07-2014, 05:50 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,366,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post

If

I lived in Denver for many years and I could see where dealers are undercutting the legal shops because there was always good weed in Denver. If I lived there now I would keep my old connects and would rarely buy at the shops because of the price. they just have better growers in that part of the country, here in Ohio not so much.

Old 05-07-2014, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
If

I lived in Denver for many years and I could see where dealers are undercutting the legal shops because there was always good weed in Denver. If I lived there now I would keep my old connects and would rarely buy at the shops because of the price. they just have better growers in that part of the country, here in Ohio not so much.
If it becomes legal in Ohio its not so tough to bring it in from Colorado. I remember when people used to do it with Coors.

I don't know where people get the idea that dealers are just going to get jobs at McDonalds because government gets into the act.

Crime didn't stop when prohibition ended. It just moved on to something else. There are valid arguments for making some things legal that aren't today but the idea that crime will stop isn't one of them.

Old 05-07-2014, 05:56 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Criminals will still be criminals, they'll move onto something else. As far as they go some of the crime such as murders related to turf may be eliminated since control of an area doesn't produce profits. The biggest impact on crime will be to help eliminate crimes like the addict knocking the little old lady over for her purse. Many of those people are not criminal by nature but a product of addiction. By lowering the costs of the drugs they have less reason to commit crimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies