Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 10:38 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,517,739 times

Advertisements

A lot of modern nation-states didn't spring up over night--there were years and years of ethnic divisions, rebellions, annexations of neighboring states, and so on. Eventually if you have enough wealth or a strong state and not a high level of economic equality all the various tribes, cultures, ethnic groups might get along well enough to have a sustainable state(though even in Europe you'll occasionally have pesky Basques or Irish Catholics stirring up trouble). And on the other hand a lot of places like China or still consolidating within their own borders to make all land under their control more "Chinese".

A lot of these Middle Eastern and African states are the quick creations of colonial cartogrophers dividing up other kingdoms. That's why Iraq is less of thing that stirs pride among it's citizens than alliances based on religion or ethnicity. Realistically Kurdistan should be it's own state, the Sunnis in Iraq should be in their own state and Shiites should be in their own state--because you're not going to get some patriotic "Iraqi" ruler who urges all Iraqis to look past their religous/ethnic differences and unite as one--you're more likely going to have people like Maliki who are looking out for their fellow Shiites and looking to Shiite states like Iran for backing. Same reason that Yugoslavia didn't work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2014, 10:43 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,984,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Hey- are you all still upset with Lebron? I can't stand the guy. Go Spurs Go!!!

I've really lost all interest in the NBA. I suppose by default I'm a Cavaliers fan being from Cleveland and all, but that's it. Having said that, with the spectacle that was "The Decision" I have no love for him. As far as I'm concerned, he can stay gone. I was glad the Spurs won.

Now back to the topic at hand... I agree with your last post in regards to Iraq (or anywhere in the ME for that matter). Let them handle it themselves. If those people over there want to continue to live like uncivilized s*** heads, it should not come at the cost of more American lives!

Old 06-19-2014, 10:44 AM

675 posts, read 544,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
A lot of modern nation-states didn't spring up over night--there were years and years of ethnic divisions, rebellions, annexations of neighboring states, and so on. Eventually if you have enough wealth or a strong state and not a high level of economic equality all the various tribes, cultures, ethnic groups might get along well enough to have a sustainable state(though even in Europe you'll occasionally have pesky Basques or Irish Catholics stirring up trouble). And on the other hand a lot of places like China or still consolidating within their own borders to make all land under their control more "Chinese".

A lot of these Middle Eastern and African states are the quick creations of colonial cartogrophers dividing up other kingdoms. That's why Iraq is less of thing that stirs pride among it's citizens than alliances based on religion or ethnicity. Realistically Kurdistan should be it's own state, the Sunnis in Iraq should be in their own state and Shiites should be in their own state--because you're not going to get some patriotic "Iraqi" ruler who urges all Iraqis to look past their religous/ethnic differences and unite as one--you're more likely going to have people like Maliki who are looking out for their fellow Shiites and looking to Shiite states like Iran for backing. Same reason that Yugoslavia didn't work.
Thats what I am saying.

Either divide up Iraq into proper states or take over the country and split oil profits until they can come up with a solution to the never ending violence and hate.

Old 06-19-2014, 11:16 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,104,745 times
I personally believe that Iraq should be split between 3 nations: one each for the Sunnis, Shiites, and Kurds. The only major issue is that Turkey and Iran would be pissed with the creation of a Kurdish nation ... it would cause Kurds in their own countries to try and break away to join the Kurds in former northern Iraq.

However, I must admit that taking control of the oil sure does sound appealing. At least we would be able to get something out of the deaths of 4,000+ Americans between 2003-2011. Perhaps we take the coastal area south of Basra (lots of oil there) and leave the rest to the natives.

Im more interested in expanding Manifest Destiny into Latin America and the Pacific. The Muslims are too much trouble ....

Old 06-19-2014, 11:20 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,869,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by medellinheel View Post
Thats what I am saying.

Either divide up Iraq into proper states or take over the country and split oil profits until they can come up with a solution to the never ending violence and hate.
One solution would be to set aside their differences and form an alliance to attack the invading country and oust them. And of course, globally they would garner a lot of support to do so.

Old 06-19-2014, 11:25 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,450,604 times
Would this be a good time to point out that Canada, yes us little guys up here, has MORE oil in the ground than either Iraq or Saudi Arabia does ?

And we are your next door neighbour, and we are willing to sell oil to you are less than world price ?

Next time somebody starts complaining about having to go over there, to fight for oil, point out what I just wrote.

And add this point.............If the US Government decides to cancel the pipeline from Alberta to the southern States......we can all ways sell OUR oil to the rest of the world, at world market prices. As a matter of fact, we are currently discussing a pipeline from Alberta, to the west coast. That would be our choice to make, right?

As it stands right now , today.......Canada supplies about forty percent of the oil and natural gas that the US depends on to run it's economy. And we aren't a terrorist country, and it doesn't take super tankers to get our oil to your refineries, either. You need to approve that pipeline.

Jim B.

Toronto.

Old 06-19-2014, 11:25 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,517,739 times
Quote:
Thats what I am saying.

Taking over the country will just require much more American blood to be spilled--and money--and more international antagonism directed at us. Not worth it.

We try to think we can control the direction of a lot of countries and it usually backfires. Meanwhile China stays out of countries affairs just makes them deals and build infrastructure(while gaining new markets) and gets basically better results these days. Why fight or try to change the status quo in places that's just going to end up with another dictator?

Old 06-19-2014, 11:27 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,559,990 times
Quote:
It is time we come to this realization. Iraq in it's present form is incapable of governing and bringing stability to it's country.

The US needs to take over the country and run it for them until they are capable and ready to behave like civil human beings.

We can split the oil profits for bringing some stability to the country.

It would be a win win for both parties.
They were governing themselves pretty well until we, the Americans, bombed the crap out them for no reason.

It is time we come to this realization: we need to stay the eff out of other countries' businesses.

Old 06-19-2014, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
One solution would be to set aside their differences and form an alliance to attack the invading country and oust them. And of course, globally they would garner a lot of support to do so.
They would lose.

Old 06-19-2014, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
They were governing themselves pretty well until we, the Americans, bombed the crap out them for no reason.

It is time we come to this realization: we need to stay the eff out of other countries' businesses.
You call mass oppression, tyranny, and genocide governing well? hahaha

Oh brother
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies