Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 06:13 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,912,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
You must pay a bunch for brand name Rx's if you're paying 50% more, and with similar premiums!

Some of your preventative testing is now 'free'. Meaning no co-pays or deductibles for mammograms.
Mammograms are irrelevant to most men. Not saying men can't get breast cancer but the risks are much lower.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2014, 07:34 PM

3,599 posts, read 6,785,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
"
"Who’s right, the experts or the public? They both are, they just look at the problem from different perspectives"

"The reason people see health costs differently than experts do is that what they pay for health care has been steadily going up."

The facts are that says healthcare cost still going up and consumers are paying more for it especially the self employed where there are no subsidies for many federal tax paying customers.

Old 06-21-2014, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Most of the people I know who support obamacare have completely brushed off our family's experience when I've shared it with them. It's like they can't even hear it. I keep on hearing the talking points that say "conservatives don't care about people's ability to afford health insurance" but I've yet to see any of those supporting obamacare give a s*** about our lack of ability to afford health insurance when we used to be able to afford it just fine. I know that we are hardly alone. It's such hypocrisy.

We've been audited before. If we get audited again perhaps we can pull and "Lerner" and tell them that our PC crashed.
If you look at responses on these boards. Most people don't give a crap about those who's health care cost have gone up significantly.

Usual excuses defending ACA's price increases on those who get no subsidies and seen their premiums and overall deductibles skyrocket

1. Health care costs always go up
2. You make enough. Suck it

Again. I have yet to see on ACA supporter who is self employed still supporting the ACA after their premiums have increased 40-50% from 2013.

I am still waiting to hear from them.

Old 06-21-2014, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Let's see. No ACA 10 yrs of 10% premium increase per yr versu with ACA 10 yrs of 5% premium growtg per year. I would guess that would actually far exceed $2500 premium savings, don't you?
Actually since my premiums went up by 40% in one year already. It's pretty safe to say the ACA won't save me a dime over 10 years.

There aren't any premium savings unless you want to wing it and double your deductible under the ACA.

Last edited by aneftp; 06-21-2014 at 07:58 PM..

Old 06-21-2014, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
My individual policy went up 6%, but my co-pays, deductibles and max OOP went way down.
Because you aren't in the healthy under age 40 age group making more than 400% of poverty. Those people have gotten crushed in the self employed market by the ACA.

Old 06-21-2014, 08:19 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,794,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Alaska View Post
I got this quote from BCBS of Michigan, its for ACA compliant catastrophic coverage, no dental and no vision.
HMO
Deductible is $1,650
coinsurance 30%
out of pocket max $6,350

Check out the bottom text .. added tax and fees as established by the ACA, in other words they added in a tax even though they said they wouldn't raise taxes.

The more I find out about this "affordable" care act the less affordable it becomes.
The entire thing is not considered a tax, otherwise it would be unconstitutional, according the SCOTUS.

So that added tax at the bottom, is actually taxing the tax. I'd guess that's your monthly share of the subsidies and Medicaid pool.

Old 06-21-2014, 08:31 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,794,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
The following chart is from the CBO. Tax cuts have caused 48% of our deficits from 2001-2007.

Please explain how Obama has a cult.

Chad.
First, it's dishonest to claim that tax cuts are the biggest cause for debt, when the reality is that it's spending. Here's an example; lets say everything was zeroed out (it's a dream I know.) If spending was cut to zero, and taxes were cut to zero, how much debt would we have after a year?

Before the deflectors come in and start dissecting this example, keep in mind it was designed to be as simple as possible. So before you feel the need to complicate it, don't.

cult noun - a misplaced or excessive admiration for a particular person or thing.

"a cult of personality surrounding the leaders"
synonyms; obsession with, fixation on, mania for, passion for, idolization of, devotion to, worship of, veneration of...

Oh yes, Obama's hard core "he can do no wrong" followers are nothing short of the definition.

Old 06-21-2014, 08:53 PM

7,508 posts, read 5,756,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Obamacare supporters will say that the individual market only represents a small fraction of the total number of insureds in the US. This is true - most estimates place the number of individuals who buy their own insurance at 19 million, or about 9% of the total. So it's ok to slap these people with a huge increase in premiums?

obamacare_increased_2014_individualmarket_premiums _by_average_of_49.html
I haven't read the replies yet but I hope borriokid posted a long mindless rant about Medicare, the moon being made of cheese and whether or not Lincoln was responsible for the World Trade Center bombing and Obamacare saved a lot if civil war veterans what families couldn't afford a horse. I need a good laugh tonight.

Old 06-21-2014, 09:08 PM

18,804 posts, read 8,479,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
Because you aren't in the healthy under age 40 age group making more than 400% of poverty. Those people have gotten crushed in the self employed market by the ACA.
Right. I'm in the not yet ready for Medicare, over 60 with serious medical problems, and with extremely high premiums group. Wife's the same, though not yet 60. Our premiums went from $16K to $17K a year.

Old 06-21-2014, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
The following chart is from the CBO. Tax cuts have caused 48% of our deficits from 2001-2007.

CEO billionaires have 11% federal tax rates.
Warren Buffett's Effective Federal Income Tax Rate Was Just 11% - Forbes

And single filer Americans who make $100,000 a year have 20%+ federal tax rates?
Tax Rate Definition & Example | Investing Answers

Did you mean to say punish the middle class?

Bill Gates charity work has saved millions of people from dying, he has improved America's public schools, and he lobbies our government to make our tax system fair (so middle class Americans don't pay higher tax rates than billionaires.)

Why would you not respect Bill Gates?

The Obama cult?

Republican CEO's, Fox news, and Rush radio have turned American republicans into zombie servants of CEO's and corporations.

They oppose high min wage laws (so corporations can pay low wages, and make more money.)
They oppose workers unions for the same reason above.
They oppose tax credits for low income workers.
They oppose healthcare for all.

They want to privatize Social Security to divert the SS money to Wall Street corporations.
They want to abolish the EPA and FDA so they can no longer regulate corporations.
ex.ex.

Their sole purpose in life is fighting for favors for the rich like these,

Romney's Economic Plan Includes $6.6 Trillion Tax Cut For The Rich And Corporations | ThinkProgress

Bush Tax Cuts After 2002: June 2002 CTJ Analysis

Republicans protect CEO's and corporations more than they protect their own families. They don't care about their family members making low wages or being uninsured, rather they care about tax cuts for the rich.

Please explain how Obama has a cult.

Chad.
Please. Lots of people do not respect Bill Gates. He was a sleaze building up his empire known as Microsoft. People forget that. Microsoft when he was CEO was well known to exploit and bribe state legislators into giving the company tax advantages. Just google Microsoft tax history evasion.

As for him promoting and reforming public school education. Considering he went most of his k-12 in elite private schools and he's sending his own kids to elite private school. Think about that. He's never had a day to day feel for how public schools operate as a student or even as a parent.

That's like someone who's never served in a war being named general to lead the troops into battle. That person will be the laughing stock in the military.

It just amazes me how elite super rich people talk about how they can reform public schools yet never send their kids there. Talk the talk. Walk the walk. And Bill Gates can send his kids to the best performing public schools if he wanted to. There are top notch public schools where he lives. But he choses not to.

Warren Buffet is another hypocrite. Why wasn't he donating his money in the 1970s 1990s etc? He was already a millionaire by the 1970s. A multi billionaire by the 1990s. Why just talk about taxes the past 6-7 years when he's near the end of his life? He could have easily paid his fair share and still have more than enough leftover.

Corporate CEO effective federal tax rates are closer to 18% if you read the article. Sounds low. Except when you consider 43-45% of marinas effective tax rate is 0%. And another 30% are less than 10%. We are talking effective tax rates here.

The people who bare the brunt of most of the effective tax rates are the Henry. High earner not rich yet. Those making 200-500k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies