Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2014, 04:22 PM

1,131 posts, read 2,027,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
On another note, I heard that the US soccer team beat Ghana, then tied Portugal, but Portugal had a 2-1 win over Ghana, and then the US lost to Germany, and they still advanced? Seems like these stupid rules might be why coulter looks at the game and has no respect for it.
What's so hard to understand? Yes, the US and Portugal tied and both beat Ghana. Difference was we lost to Germany by one goal and they lost by 4.

Old 06-26-2014, 04:23 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,378,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Kinda like the right holding up buffoons like Sharpton and claiming he represents the majority of liberals because they want demonize the entire left in lame attempts to gain power, eh? Lotsa sheeple on both sides of the aisle.
Amen.

Old 06-26-2014, 04:27 PM

6 posts, read 5,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
What is it with European sports? The only good ones are tennis and golf, though neither are terribly exciting to watch. When I was in London lawn bowling was always on TV. Is that really a thing? Seems like a sport you'd play with your kids on a nice summer morning, not something to be televised. We don't have croquet on TV.
I don't recall seeing much Crown Green Bowling on UK TV, the main sports being Football (Soccer), Rugby (Union and League) and Cricket which can be Test Cricket or limited over one day or 20/20 an even shorter variant of the game which can be very exciting. There is also Golf, Tennis, Formula 1 Motorsport and Horse Racing as well as Snooker, Darts, Boxing etc but I don't think Crown Green Bowling makes it on to TV much, and there are dedicated Sky Sport and BT Sports Cable and Satellite Channels and a Sky Sports News Channel.

Old 06-26-2014, 04:33 PM

1,131 posts, read 2,027,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
There is the possibility of a US vs Mexico match in the semi-finals. That would be interesting and bring out the patriotism .. and hate.

A very, very, remote possibility. After watching the way Germany man-handled us in the mid-field, I have virtually zero confidence in our ability to make the semi-finals. We'd have to get past Belgium and (presumably) Argentina, two teams that both went 3-0 in match play.

Old 06-26-2014, 04:34 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madpaddy View Post
A very, very, remote possibility. After watching the way Germany man-handled us in the mid-field, I have virtually zero confidence in our ability to make the semi-finals. We'd have to get past Belgium and (presumably) Argentina, two teams that both went 3-0 in match play.
Yeah, I am expecting a second round defeat for the US.

Old 06-26-2014, 04:34 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,021,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madpaddy View Post
What's so hard to understand? Yes, the US and Portugal tied and both beat Ghana. Difference was we lost to Germany by one goal and they lost by 4.
How does Germany scoring more goals against Portugal than they did against the USA make the American team better than the Portugal squad?

Shouldn't the USA have to beat Portugal to advance?

Old 06-26-2014, 04:35 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,060,276 times
So? What's your obsession with Ann Coulter?

Old 06-26-2014, 04:36 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,380,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Well all those big elite jocks will put many a soccer player off the team if they end football and soccer is the only option. Something the football haters will never understand. You won't get your dream of ending football though. You don't like football don't watch or let your kids play. Go play soccer and hope an elite jock WR off the football team don't decide to switch sports and take your kids slot.

Appears you also think nobody gets hurt playing soccer. You are quite the football hater.

Oh no best ban soccer so the kiddies don't hurt their heads next. Tyrant.

Is Soccer Bad for Children's Heads?: Summary of the IOM Workshop on Neuropsychological Consequences of Head Impact in Youth Soccer
Wow… you sure read stuff that isn't there into my post!

Me? A football hater? Nope. It's the only sport I watch on TV. And all of my kids have been out of school for 20 years or so. I'm not a devoted fan, but I like to watch the Ravens and the Bronchos every once in a while.
I like football just fine, but I don't have my head in the sand. Times are changing in public education real fast.

How much did the Dept. of Education funding go up in your state last year, KU? None? Oh- they cut it instead, right? So did my state. So have lots and lots of other states.

But kids are still getting enrolled in public schools. What's gonna be cut out in these times of high demand on schools to produce computer-savvy, highly trained students on a limited budget? Make your best guess.

Buddy, what's gonna get cut is football.

For all the reasons I mentioned in my first post. Right now, there are hundreds of school districts all over the nation that are cutting programs right and left because they cannot afford them any longer. Chem labs cost money, chem teachers cost money. Computers cost money, and so do teachers who can teach programming skills.

And what's lately getting serious attention? Fat kids.
Fat kids are the next thing the schools are going to have to do something about, because school is the only place fat kids will get guaranteed exercise.

What's a school district gonna do when the PE is a mandate for every kid throughout junior high and high school, and there's no spare change left in their budgets?

Do you think districts are going to keep 35 elite kids all equipped up, and pay for ever higher insurance premiums for those 35 kids yearly, when they have 1,000 kids they have to exercise for an hour a day?

Not on your life. We will either have to pay more taxes for schooling, or the schools will cut out the highest costing programs. Football offers the too much for too few students.

… and the same goes with State colleges. They are in increasing financial trouble, too.

Football won't die. It will still be played by young kids, but it won't be on school time. It will be played just like soccer is now, after school, paid for by the parents, organized into leagues that are not scholastic.

The colleges that have cash cow teams now will continue to have them.
The colleges that don't will drop the sport, just as the school districts will.

Old 06-26-2014, 04:37 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,021,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Well, I'll tell you this much being a U.S. citizen of German ancestry I wouldn't be rooting for the Germans to win and fly their flag. But then again, that's just me.
The U.S. has at least three Germans on their team - they were born to American servicemen and German mothers.

Old 06-26-2014, 04:37 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
How does Germany scoring more goals against Portugal than they did against the USA make the American team better than the Portugal squad?

Shouldn't the USA have to beat Portugal to advance?
Germany scored more against Portugal than they did the US, that amounts to a tie break. That is the rules.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies