Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2014, 07:18 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Silly rules - the U.S. and Portugal should have played overtime.
Why, it is just the first round? Germany beat the US less than they did Portugal.

Old 06-26-2014, 07:29 PM

21,481 posts, read 10,585,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Bailey View Post
I don't recall seeing much Crown Green Bowling on UK TV, the main sports being Football (Soccer), Rugby (Union and League) and Cricket which can be Test Cricket or limited over one day or 20/20 an even shorter variant of the game which can be very exciting. There is also Golf, Tennis, Formula 1 Motorsport and Horse Racing as well as Snooker, Darts, Boxing etc but I don't think Crown Green Bowling makes it on to TV much, and there are dedicated Sky Sport and BT Sports Cable and Satellite Channels and a Sky Sports News Channel.
Well, we were limited by not knowing what channels to watch. There was a lawn bowling tournament on TV at the time (1998), which I know for a fact as I'd never heard of the sport before that time. The other thing that was on in the evenings was some singing show featuring acts from all over Europe and other countries nearby. Do you recall what that was? It seemed like a contest between the various countries, but honestly my husband was watching more than I was. He's the type to turn on the TV whenever he's sitting in a room, whereas I could happily live without one in the house.

I enjoy playing golf and tennis and darts, but not interested in watching too much. Motorsport and horse racing are very exciting if you're at the event, but again, I'm not interested in watching. Never really thought of boxing coming from Europe, but of course did. I don't know why I forgot that. Never heard of Snooker, what's that?

Old 06-26-2014, 07:32 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,331,642 times
Quote:

Never heard of Snooker, what's that?
Billiard game.

Old 06-26-2014, 07:41 PM

57,317 posts, read 26,236,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Here's an article about the costs of high school football for Premont, Texas. Premont was the inspiration for the TV series Friday Night Lights. But Premont no longer has a football team.

The Case Against High-School Sports - Amanda Ripley - The Atlantic

Here's a quote from the article:

"By suspending sports, Singleton realized, he could save $150,000 in one year. A third of this amount was being paid to teachers as coaching stipends, on top of the smaller costs: $27,000 for athletic supplies, $15,000 for insurance, $13,000 for referees, $12,000 for bus drivers."

Costs weren't the only reason why Premont quit football, but costs were one of the big reasons. For Premont, the cost of a football season could hire another elementary-school teacher for the full year.

This is being repeated all over the country in small and/or poor school districts everywhere now. Expect to see more of it in the future.
We had a division 2 college cancel their football program a few years ago and they opened a medical college, brilliant move considering the issues they had with some of the athletes.

Old 06-26-2014, 07:43 PM

57,317 posts, read 26,236,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
!

Harrier hopes that we get to see a USA - Mexico semifinal.
That would be one of the medias dream final.

Old 06-26-2014, 07:57 PM

17,809 posts, read 13,708,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Here's an article about the costs of high school football for Premont, Texas. Premont was the inspiration for the TV series Friday Night Lights. But Premont no longer has a football team.

The Case Against High-School Sports - Amanda Ripley - The Atlantic
You are mistaken. ODESSA PERMIAN HS was the inspiration for FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS. And they certainly still have football. However they also provide a soccer team for both boys and girls.

As for Ann Coulter, we need to see what she thinks about the Tour de France next.

Old 06-26-2014, 08:16 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,378,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
What is it with European sports? The only good ones are tennis and golf, though neither are terribly exciting to watch. When I was in London lawn bowling was always on TV. Is that really a thing? Seems like a sport you'd play with your kids on a nice summer morning, not something to be televised. We don't have croquet on TV.
Could be worse. Norway has Slow TV.

Old 06-26-2014, 08:23 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,367,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Why, it is just the first round? Germany beat the US less than they did Portugal.
Yeah, seriously, people dont understand this, yet we have the BCS (thank god thats leaving) or those regular seasong ending pro-football playoff scenarios!?!?!

Old 06-26-2014, 08:29 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,367,088 times
Back to the op, i found this article amusing, but troll fluff. Its almost so asinine, I'm wondering if she even believes herself, and just wanted to put a piece out there to get everyones attention.

Im surprised she likened sports to war, since thats a sensitive subject with the military, pat tillman et al. And in a weird way, Im disappointed she didn't target certain facets of the game that people have legitimate beefs about, like,the falling and acting to draw a foul/card.

Old 06-26-2014, 08:29 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,300,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Ann Coulter likes to poke lefties. In her latest poke she says soccer is un-American, doesn't reward individualism, and is not a real 'sport'.
"No American whose great-grandfather was born here is watching soccer. One can only hope that, in addition to learning English, these new Americans will drop their soccer fetish with time."

Coulter: Any growing interest in soccer a sign of nation's moral decay
I don't enjoy soccer, but what does soccer have to do with the left? And what's UnAmerican about it?

This is an example of the core of conservatism being about exclusion.

Ann Coulter's message is we are the real Americans and those people aren't.

It is text book exclusionary rhetoric and the emotions undergirding that kind of exclusionary rhetoric is what unites conservatives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies