Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2014, 12:27 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,897,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post

Cheech Marin has a short comedy skit where he was in an elevator with a group of people that were speaking Vietnamese. He told them "Don't you know you are in America. Speak Spanish." The comment was in English so his audience would understand.
I have used that line before and got a laugh from some Asian ladies who switched to English.

Old 07-02-2014, 12:27 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,329,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrexDigit View Post
Does it upset you when you are in a public place and English is not spoken?

It upsets me that I studied French instead of Spanish. I could actually use Spanish here in Colorado obviously.
And that Swahili in college was pretty worthless. Ninakwenda maktabani.

While most citizens of this plant take great pride in speaking different languages, not here. Good ole 'Murica.
So study it now.
Once you leave school doesn't mean you have to stop learning, does it?

Old 07-02-2014, 12:44 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,949,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
So study it now.
Once you leave school doesn't mean you have to stop learning, does it?
Sad state of affairs where you have to learn a foreign language in your own country just to communicate.

I get that people can be very defensive when speaking their foreign language. My grandmother came from Hungary and insisted that no English be spoken within the home. I assume she did that to keep the kids fluent in Hungarian. Outside the home, it was English. And Grandma learned English and used it outside the home. She didn't demand interpreters everywhere she went.

I don't care (too much) about someone speaking a different language in public, but if you are going to be in the country, have the respect to learn our language. Don't expect preferential treatment because you don't want to learn.

Old 07-02-2014, 12:46 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,299,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I have been to several places this evening (Whole Foods, mall, and Target) and it seemed like few people there were speaking English - people were speaking in languages other than English. Does going into a public place and hearing a lack of English, especially in a nonethnic neighborhood, bother you?
No, it makes me feel personally ignorant or uncultured because I only know one language, while usually the people who I come in contact with who speaks a language other than English are multi-lingual.

Old 07-02-2014, 12:50 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,352,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
No, it makes me feel personally ignorant or uncultured because I only know one language, while usually the people who I come in contact with who speaks a language other than English are multi-lingual.
Learn to sign.

You will get more use from that and could be a Godsend to someone.

Our local school just changed some rules.....now students can learn sign language as a second language.

IMO......it is a very wise choice.

Old 07-02-2014, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
Sad state of affairs where you have to learn a foreign language in your own country just to communicate.

I get that people can be very defensive when speaking their foreign language. My grandmother came from Hungary and insisted that no English be spoken within the home. I assume she did that to keep the kids fluent in Hungarian. Outside the home, it was English. And Grandma learned English and used it outside the home. She didn't demand interpreters everywhere she went.

I don't care (too much) about someone speaking a different language in public, but if you are going to be in the country, have the respect to learn our language. Don't expect preferential treatment because you don't want to learn.
The poster was lamenting that he didn't study Spanish in school. Nothing is stopping him from studying it now.

Old 07-02-2014, 01:01 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,021,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Nope. I sometimes hear Navajo.

They were here first.
Yes they were We used to go up to Gallup when we lived in NM
and ate at this restaurant which was run by Navajo, and they were
the sweetest people. I'm trying to think of the name, because the
food was really good too.....

FYI, Navajo is spoken by more Indians than any other Native
American language.

Old 07-02-2014, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Yes they were We used to go up to Gallup when we lived in NM
and ate at this restaurant which was run by Navajo, and they were
the sweetest people. I'm trying to think of the name, because the
food was really good too.....

FYI, Navajo is spoken by more Indians than any other Native
American language.
Cree is the most common First Nations language here.

Old 07-02-2014, 01:12 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,021,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrexDigit View Post

It upsets me that I studied French instead of Spanish. I could actually use Spanish here in Colorado obviously.
And that Swahili in college was pretty worthless. Ninakwenda maktabani.
I dabbled in Urdu myself; I love the Library

If you can speak French, Spanish will be a breeze...
The romantics just flow off one's tongue...

Old 07-02-2014, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
I dabbled in Urdu myself; I love the Library

If you can speak French, Spanish will be a breeze...
The romantics just flow off one's tongue...
Spanish is a piece of pastel.
Very easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies