Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 10:58 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,021,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77eugenia View Post
I was one of the lucky ones though, for having this experience. I almost feel sorry for people that didn't experience this diversity. I think it may be what heaven is like, all different nationalities and languages coming together in one place to enjoy the uniqueness of God's creations.
What a beautiful post. TY

Old 07-01-2014, 11:03 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfProfessional View Post
If you stepped out of that little town you live in, and looked at the bigger picture, you'd realize how insignificant that extreme situation is. One can easily point out all extreme subsets of populations. No one talks about Provo, Utah and how they live in their own little world where 75% of the population lives in its own world outside of US culture. You know why? Because it's an extreme subset of population. When you look at the bigger picture, it's not an issue that transcends throughout the nation.
I have lived in other places -- same thing is happening -- but what is far more beautiful than the Tower of Babel that the USA is becoming is hearing people from all over the world able to communicate with one another in our common language.

It is a wonderful thing when someone from Korea and someone from the Phillipines, and someone from Poland can stand around and discuss American football scores and teams or whatever with one another. Unity -- not division.

Old 07-01-2014, 11:04 PM

13,303 posts, read 7,873,743 times
Default Does it upset you when you are in a public place and English is not spoken?

The cower of babel?

Old 07-01-2014, 11:09 PM

384 posts, read 349,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I have lived in other places -- same thing is happening -- but what is far more beautiful than the Tower of Babel that the USA is becoming is hearing people from all over the world able to communicate with one another in our common language.

It is a wonderful thing when someone from Korea and someone from the Phillipines, and someone from Poland can stand around and discuss American football scores and teams or whatever with one another. Unity -- not division.
Well, the good thing is that we have Unity here in the US. It's not just outside the US. Since 90%+ of immigrants assimilate, it's not really a problem.

Old 07-01-2014, 11:18 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Not here where I live. It's only about 10% that do assimilate. The rest expect the USA to accomodate them in their own country's language.
Nah...you're just paranoid is all.

Old 07-01-2014, 11:21 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
That's a good point. On a trip to the mall one day I came to realize the only people shopping were senior citizens and people who didn't look like me and spoke other languages. The white middle class were probably hard at work paying for the food stamps so these people would have money to go shopping.

Do you think the conscience of politicians ever bother them because of the way our hard-working children are being treated? I think they ought to be ashamed of themselves for taking advantage of our children in order to gain votes by these parasites.

I hope we can elect some to the senate this year that will take on the job of cleaning up the corruption in America.
Lol...yeah, those Republicans are gonna come to the Senate and save you "white middle class" just like last Republican Senate did.

Talk about delusional.

Old 07-01-2014, 11:49 PM

10,020 posts, read 8,641,644 times
When I was a little fart I had this old aunt and when she got mad at me she would switch over to speaking the Cant and I didn't understand a word she said. I guess it was just as well because I didn't need to know what she was calling me.

Old 07-02-2014, 01:05 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfProfessional View Post
Well, the good thing is that we have Unity here in the US. It's not just outside the US. Since 90%+ of immigrants assimilate, it's not really a problem.
If they won't learn and speak English, they aren't assimilating.

Good immigrants of course do have an interest in learning something of this country -- but the topic of this thread are the ones who don't. I don't admire any immigrants that just want to go on living in their little ethnic enclaves and refuse to adapt in any way -- I wouldn't admire Americans who permanently relocate to another country but refuse to learn anything of that country including it's language.

Like I said -- what's beautiful is seeing and hearing people from various parts of the world all willing and able to communicate in our common language -- it's ugly when they come here for the big easy money and nothing more.

Old 07-02-2014, 02:19 AM

15,534 posts, read 10,507,413 times
"Does it upset you when you are in a public place and English is not spoken?"

Qué?

Old 07-02-2014, 03:43 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,329,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
If you think grocery stores and fast food joints are hot beds of non-english speakers just try some of our hospitals and medical care facillities. In the Washington DC area there are a lot of nurses and physicians assistants from either the Phillipines or The Carribean or West Africa (Ghana or Nigeria). At my Dialysis Clinic the Clinic the manager is Fillipino, as are the charge nurses, and 3/4 of the Dialysis technicians the others are 1 Puerto Rican, 1 Chinese, 2 Ghanians and a Nicaraguan. Not a single member of the staff is American. A member of the DC city council (Marion Barry) who was hospitalized for kidney failure and received a kidney transplant actually complained to the management of the Washington Hospital Center (The regional transpalnt hospital) that none of his nurses was a person born in the Distric but were all Fillipinos! Kinda upset our Fillipino community here.
I'm not following.
Not a single American? Do you mean to tell me you hire illegal aliens to work as dialysis technicians, charge nurses and managers?
That doesn't sound like any clinic I'd want to set foot in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies