Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 09:41 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times

Advertisements

Nope. Couldn't care less.

Old 07-01-2014, 09:41 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,718,914 times
I have only had that happen once and that was right on the border. I could have litterally thrown a rock across the border. In Tucson which is pretty Hispanic everyone speaks English. For most of the employers they probably require you speak English not Spanish if you are dealing with the public. The kids in the Hispanic communties speak fluent English.

Old 07-01-2014, 09:46 PM

384 posts, read 349,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
I speak a foreign language (actually two three if you include English...
Anyone who had a decent education in the U.S. (post WWII) speaks at least two languages. Just an fyi.

Old 07-01-2014, 09:46 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,277,042 times
No, doesn't bother me. However, people who speak foreign languages like this should be careful as too what they say. You never know who can speak the same language.

I have a very close friend of mine who was born in China. Although she doesn't look Chinese, she can speak Mandarin and Cantonese (write both too). She lived in Oakland and I'd take her to dinner in Oakland's Chinatown. Now she is about 20 yrs younger then me and the waitresses used to talk all sorts of trash about us. Then when they took our order, Vivian would talk to them in Chinese. You could see their eyes just grow wide and the embarrassment on their faces.

Old 07-01-2014, 09:49 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,479,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I have been to several places this evening (Whole Foods, mall, and Target) and it seemed like few people there were speaking English - people were speaking in languages other than English. Does going into a public place and hearing a lack of English, especially in a nonethnic neighborhood, bother you?
If you think that's wild, you should go to an El Pollo Loco in Little Saigon on St. Patrick's Day in your Hyundai and ask for an iced latte!

[it's a riot]

Old 07-01-2014, 09:52 PM

384 posts, read 349,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
If you think that's wild, you should go to an El Pollo Loco in Little Saigon on St. Patrick's Day in your Hyundai and ask for an iced latte!

[it's a riot]
Heck, no need to travel. You can just go down to your local Starbucks and ask for a large iced latte to hit a foreign language barrier.

Old 07-01-2014, 09:55 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,483,423 times
No. I greatly prefer it to hearing the bad English spoken by most native English speakers.

Perhaps those people are speaking their own languages just as poorly, but at least I don't know it.

Old 07-01-2014, 10:00 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,533,060 times
No. Why should it bother me when someone speaks in their native language?

Old 07-01-2014, 10:01 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,231,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
No, doesn't bother me. However, people who speak foreign languages like this should be careful as too what they say. You never know who can speak the same language.

I have a very close friend of mine who was born in China. Although she doesn't look Chinese, she can speak Mandarin and Cantonese (write both too). She lived in Oakland and I'd take her to dinner in Oakland's Chinatown. Now she is about 20 yrs younger then me and the waitresses used to talk all sorts of trash about us. Then when they took our order, Vivian would talk to them in Chinese. You could see their eyes just grow wide and the embarrassment on their faces.

A friend and I were being followed one night. There were a couple of guys following us speaking Spanish. I understood what they were saying; they were planning on jumping us. Thank God there were a couple of security guards who pulled up right before it actually happened.

Old 07-01-2014, 10:06 PM

601 posts, read 756,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
It's not the fact that these people are speaking their native language in private that is bothersome - it is that it is done in the public spaces with no regard to assimilate to the language of the land.
Why do they need to speak English if they're only talking to each other?

Who cares if it's a public space - everywhere outside of their house is a public space! At the register, on official forms, I'm sure most of these people switch to English when necessary. Or at least the best English they're capable of.

There's no need to "assimilate" in casual conversation, you're being unreasonable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies