Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2014, 12:06 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,896,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
That was my understanding as well, and I'm as pro-2nd amendment as you can get. So what is the law actually?
The law pertaining to what?

The posteer I was referring to asked about taking a gun in to a post office and asked me if I felt I needed it there.

It is against federal law to carry in a post office. I know that, I am required by law to know that as a concealed carrier. He/She apparently didn't know that.

What law would you like me to explain to you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2014, 12:08 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Ah, there's a lot of things I don't know. I do know about weapons though. I think that I fired just about every handheld weapon the Army had. I even have a couple of weapons at home.

But I do NOT feel the need nor do I have the desire to carry them whenever I step out of the house. That is not a superior attitude, it is common sense.
No ! That's your choice. When you have some need to denigrate those who don't share in it, that's being superior, elitist and very unpleasant. Your definition of common sense isn't shared universally but that doesn't make everyone else wrong even though you obviously think so. That might even be construed as narcissistic.

Old 07-03-2014, 12:11 AM

6,046 posts, read 4,817,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
The law pertaining to what?

The posteer I was referring to asked about taking a gun in to a post office and asked me if I felt I needed it there.

It is against federal law to carry in a post office. I know that, I am required by law to know that as a concealed carrier.

What law would you like me to explain to you?
Actually, that was the most common thing that I thought of. I bet a few do carry them in the post office though. Extend it to bars (now that is stupid to do so). Or Walmart. Or the local mall. Or to church. Where ever.

Old 07-03-2014, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Ah, there's a lot of things I don't know. I do know about weapons though. I think that I fired just about every handheld weapon the Army had. I even have a couple of weapons at home.
That doesn't make you an expert by any means. I have a family member who bought a 12ga shotgun for hunting and didn't know he had to buy 12ga shells to go in it. He was in the Marines.

Quote:
But I do NOT feel the need nor do I have the desire to carry them whenever I step out of the house. That is not a superior attitude, it is common sense.
I respect your opinion and your choice, why can't you respect mine?

Old 07-03-2014, 12:13 AM

2,687 posts, read 2,185,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
All of it is about preparedness. That is how all of those things are similar to carrying a gun.
Perhaps, but I remember watching a documentary about the 50s that showed a couple Christmas shopping in Manhattan wearing fallout gear, so they're not exactly the same thing. There's things that have a fair likelihood of occurring at some point (like getting a flat tire) and things that are highly unlikely ever to occur.

When it comes to the open carry issue specifically, I tend to the agree with the cop guy in this or the other thread that said it was pretty stupid. I'm aware that mass shootings, while more common in the United States than anywhere else on earth, are still pretty rare. But both the anti and pro gun sides have used them to argue their points (thus, the pro gun side doesn't now get to say that you shouldn't be alarmed if a complete stranger suddenly approaches you with a firearm). If I'm standing in a Target looking at dog food, thinking about which dog food I should purchase for my dog and notice a complete stranger just started walking down the aisle in my direction carrying a rifle or shotgun, that's going to be unnerving (and I hardly consider myself easily unnerved, I see people open carrying all the time here in Washington--with holstered pistols--and I never even give it a second glance) and I fail to see how anyone would think it's a good idea.

Old 07-03-2014, 12:14 AM

6,046 posts, read 4,817,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
No ! That's your choice. When you have some need to denigrate those who don't share in it, that's being superior, elitist and very unpleasant. Your definition of common sense isn't shared universally but that doesn't make everyone else wrong even though you obviously think so. That might even be construed as narcissistic.
There is nothing superior or elitist about it. But why do you mention those two things? Do you feel down trodden in some way? And carrying a weapon makes you feel superior? Or elitist?

Old 07-03-2014, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Preparedness for what?
I guess you live in a world where there is no crime. Good for you. Those of us who choose to accept reality for what it is don't all share your opinion.

Old 07-03-2014, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Actually, that was the most common thing that I thought of. I bet a few do carry them in the post office though.
And those people are breaking a law.
Quote:
Extend it to bars (now that is stupid to do so).
If I am not drinking alcohol, I'll carry in to a bar, as my state allows me to do so. If I am drinking I will not do so, as it is against the law, and just an all around bad idea anyway.
Quote:
Or Walmart. Or the local mall. Or to church. Where ever.
Yes, because I'm sure no one has ever needed to defend themselves in any of those places, right? Those places are completely immune to crime.

Old 07-03-2014, 12:22 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
There is nothing superior or elitist about it. But why do you mention those two things? Do you feel down trodden in some way? And carrying a weapon makes you feel superior? Or elitist?
I'm sorry. I assumed (my bad) that you had a reasonable ability to read and comprehend. I explained my choices of those terms quite clearly and at this late hour have no real desire to take a firm, two-handed grip on my Crayola and draw a picture for you. G'night!

Old 07-03-2014, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Votre_Chef View Post
Perhaps, but I remember watching a documentary about the 50s that showed a couple Christmas shopping in Manhattan wearing fallout gear, so they're not exactly the same thing. There's things that have a fair likelihood of occurring at some point (like getting a flat tire) and things that are highly unlikely ever to occur.

When it comes to the open carry issue specifically, I tend to the agree with the cop guy in this or the other thread that said it was pretty stupid. I'm aware that mass shootings, while more common in the United States than anywhere else on earth, are still pretty rare. But both the anti and pro gun sides have used them to argue their points (thus, the pro gun side doesn't now get to say that you shouldn't be alarmed if a complete stranger suddenly approaches you with a firearm). If I'm standing in a Target looking at dog food, thinking about which dog food I should purchase for my dog and notice a complete stranger just started walking down the aisle in my direction carrying a rifle or shotgun, that's going to be unnerving (and I hardly consider myself easily unnerved, I see people open carrying all the time here in Washington--with holstered pistols--and I never even give it a second glance) and I fail to see how anyone would think it's a good idea.
I agree with pretty much everything you said here. It all comes down to personal choice.

If you think the odds of ever having to defend yourself with a concealed gun are so low that it doesn't warrant carrying one? That's fine.... that's your choice. My view is, if I can carry something with minimal effort, or at least, an acceptable amount of effort to me, that may one day save my life, why not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies