Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2007, 01:19 AM

129 posts, read 84,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
No...He was killed by friendly fire. The Bush Administration said he was killed by the Taliban as a propaganda tool.

Exactly Interpol. Even tho Pat Tillman was one of the few troops dispatched to the right place (Afganistan vs Iraq) he still died a wrongful death. Tragic mistakes like that in modern warfare can be understood -to a point- but covering it up for weeks cannot. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_Tillman

This brave, altruistic and truly patriotic man was one trooper whom I have absolutely no problem sympathizing with at all.

Old 12-20-2007, 02:11 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,436,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanMc View Post
Exactly Interpol. Even tho Pat Tillman was one of the few troops dispatched to the right place (Afganistan vs Iraq) he still died a wrongful death. Tragic mistakes like that in modern warfare can be understood -to a point- but covering it up for weeks cannot. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_Tillman

This brave, altruistic and truly patriotic man was one trooper whom I have absolutely no problem sympathizing with at all.
Agreed 100%...He was in Afghanistan fighting the REAL enemy... the group that orchistrated the 9/11 terrorist attacks. A true hero in every sense of the word.

Old 12-20-2007, 03:16 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,919,896 times
Quote:
I can certainly relate to the American citizen who is drafted and forced to go overseas in order to slaughter people against whom we have no legitimate beef. He/she has no choice but to go and is as much a victim as the innocents they are forced to kill.

But someone who voluntarily signs-up to commit atrocities in exchange for some crappy college-funding or to 'learn a trade' (like blowing people up -lots of demand for that in the private sector ya know!) is a loser in my books right off the bat.

I remember reading an article fairly recently about some airforce douchebag who works M-F / 9am-5pm from a secret airbase in Nevada. His job?. Piloting a remote control bomber flying missions thousands of miles away in Iraq. He sits at a desk (I kid you not) with his coffee mug at hand and follows the directives of on-the-ground observers who help him 'pin-point' his targets. Totally clueless as to the accuracy of his spotters he simply annihilates whatever he is told to annihilate. "My bad" if it turns out the 'munitions depot' he just blew-up turned out to actually be just a childrens hospital or powdered-milk factory. Then this guy goes home every night, hugs his kids and they probably all sit around the dinner table while the wife asks him "Sooo, how was your day at the office honey?".

I can answer for him. "It was MURDER babe!".
you are in no position to answer for anybody else!

Old 12-20-2007, 05:28 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,292,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
Those that commit atrocities are prosecuted. This seems to go unnoticed by those that want to continue demean the military.
Unfortunately, this is not at all true. Who has been prosecuted? A handful of lower level military members for Abu Graib? Who will be prosecuted for the Blackwater debacle? Who will be prosecuted for the Halliburton/KBR rape case? Who will be prosecuted for most of the atrocities that the US military commits in Iraq/Afghanistan? Nobody, that's who. Who was prosecuted for the School of the Americas? Who was prosecuted for teaching death squads in South America? Who was prosecuted for dropping tons of bombs in Laos during the Vietnam War? Again, nobody.

This is a nice sentiment on your part, but unless you can provide some proof, I'm not going to believe you. I do read, I read international news, I have friends in the military as well.

Please read some international news available on the internet for an eye-opening view of the world and our part in it.

Old 12-20-2007, 06:13 AM

1,266 posts, read 2,509,239 times
Quote:
I can certainly relate to the American citizen who is drafted and forced to go overseas in order to slaughter people against whom we have no legitimate beef. He/she has no choice but to go and is as much a victim as the innocents they are forced to kill.

But someone who voluntarily signs-up to commit atrocities in exchange for some crappy college-funding or to 'learn a trade' (like blowing people up -lots of demand for that in the private sector ya know!) is a loser in my books right off the bat.

I remember reading an article fairly recently about some airforce douchebag who works M-F / 9am-5pm from a secret airbase in Nevada. His job?. Piloting a remote control bomber flying missions thousands of miles away in Iraq. He sits at a desk (I kid you not) with his coffee mug at hand and follows the directives of on-the-ground observers who help him 'pin-point' his targets. Totally clueless as to the accuracy of his spotters he simply annihilates whatever he is told to annihilate. "My bad" if it turns out the 'munitions depot' he just blew-up turned out to actually be just a childrens hospital or powdered-milk factory. Then this guy goes home every night, hugs his kids and they probably all sit around the dinner table while the wife asks him "Sooo, how was your day at the office honey?".

I can answer for him. "It was MURDER babe!".
It takes a real hero to serve their country and allow people like you to spew such proganda. If only they knew they were putting their lives on the line daily for such rubbish. God bless our troops!

Old 12-20-2007, 07:36 AM

4,050 posts, read 6,142,139 times
Quote:
Did it influence Cindy Sheehan or the Tillman family?. They saw their family members and themselves duped into giving their blood for nothing. And in payment they got lies, spin and ultimately betrayal.
Maybe I missed something, but I don't recall Sheehan saying anything comparable to what you said in your first post. I think she has directed her anger and righteous indignation at the government, not the soldiers. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Quote:
Of course I would. But then we get them into the 'just obeying orders' department and that doesn't excuse a volunteer soldier. The person who volunteers to blindly put his destiny into the hands politicians is certainly accountable for his/her actions. There was a choice.
And then slimy people like Eichmann come to mind. But you know what? I'm not ready to start comparing this to World War II, and for good reason, I think.

Quote:
I'm in a seated position. Should I stand?.
Just joking.
It would've been better if you had addressed what I said.

Unfortunately, most of the posters in this thread are just so narrow-minded that they won't consider a word you're saying, which make a debate really difficult, needless to say. So you'll get nowhere with this, and I'm not sure what else I can say.

Old 12-20-2007, 07:38 AM

4,050 posts, read 6,142,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crittersitter View Post
If only they knew they were putting their lives on the line daily for such rubbish. God bless our troops!
Such B.S. that I practically hear on a daily basis. Those troops our not fighting for any of us. I can't believe people think that.

Old 12-20-2007, 08:40 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,589,909 times
Quote:
These days, it's about as unrecognizable as the U.S. Constitution to some folks. As unrecognizable as the now apparently extinct maternal instinct for opposing war.
Are you kidding me with this? You have sunk to a new low by insulting this woman this way. Congratulations.

Old 12-20-2007, 08:56 AM

229 posts, read 170,642 times
Default Pat's death was fratricide

He was shot 3 times in the head by an American soldier, with no evidence of friendly fire damage at the scene. Pat was about to speak his mind about his opposition to the war. He was scheduled to meet with Noam Chomsky upon his return, according to his mother.

Old 12-20-2007, 09:06 AM

229 posts, read 170,642 times
The troops are probably a lot like Alex, a young Hispanic male (friend of stepson) who was living with our family for awhile. He had dropped out of high school, but later finished his GED in a program called 'Lincoln's Challenge'. Then he just worked fast-food type jobs, and took drugs. His mother talked him into joining the army in 2001, but then he changed his mind. His mother thought that he would get straightened out in the army, get job training, plus she would get some money. I'm glad that he changed his mind. He is still like he was before, but at least he's alive.
If you put these young kids into a war situation, you will get atrocities. It's human nature, a simple fact of life. I don't blame them so much as the men in power who send them into war to further their lust for money, ideology, power, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies