Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2014, 08:33 PM

57,297 posts, read 26,217,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainHastings View Post
You ALWAYS have a choice.
If I were a Palestinian in Gaza, I would do whatever I could to cross the border and move to Egypt.
Yes, I would be leaving my ancestral land but the lives of my family is infinitely more important.

Ever heard of Tibet? It was annexed by China in the 1950s.
How many times have you heard of Tibetan suicide bombers or Tibetan sending rockets to China?
They still protest against the Chinese rule but it's peaceful and that's why everyone sympathizes with their cause.

Finally, don't, even for one second, think that Hamas is fighting because of a noble reason.
They are fighting to keep power of representing Palestinians with themselves.

What drove Hamas to take on Israel?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yu54aSM6QOE
Groups like Hamas gain a foothold when there is unrest, dissatisfaction or no hope. They were on the way out until Israel overreacted, we will see. When you have nothing left to lose you make bad choices out of desperation, that is how they came to power. Israel may have just given Hamas a new life.

Old 08-04-2014, 08:37 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
And it's as relevant as any opinion yet offered on this forum. Sometimes the simplistic impressions are the actual reality.
yeah Hamas with the help of Hezbollah, has activated the continuous crossfire lines on the western side on Gaza’s strip. Hamas hides from innocent Palestinians trying to get media attention to support their cause while Israel kills innocent civilians.

Israel is fighting a tough war and the innocent people (the poor Palestines in this case) get f*ed. This is such a sad situation.

This is one of the times I wish there is really a God.. Blessing to both parties..

Old 08-04-2014, 08:40 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Yes, you have nailed it. As it is, forty-eight per cent of Arabs in the Palestinian territory hold an unfavorable view of Hamas. If the Palestinians weren't treated so inhumanely by Israel, the populace would probably vote into power a much less radical group. One breeds the other. Take people's rights away, rob them of land, limit food and water so they are suffering daily ---the result is radicalization and an entity like Hamas gets voted into power.

Remove the blockade, and give the Palestinians some rights of self-determination, and maybe the extremists in Gaza wouldn't feel so compelled to lob rockets at Israel.

In fact a less radical government WAS nearly in place in April 2014, when Hamas and Fatah agreed to a governing coalition under Abbas, one that Abbas swore would recognize Israel and non-violent means to end conflict. What did Israel do? They promptly withdrew from the peacetalks. They don't want peace. They want the status quo to continue.
Oh, oh, Zimar will be along any second now with his honesty club, or then again, maybe not; he's funny that way.

Perhaps Zimar is not as aware of the dishonesty of 'deliberate omission'. Or perhaps it's just a bias on his part.

Israel withdrew because any position agreed to by Fatah/Hamas was contingent upon territorial discussions, as in: ~ "you must give us more land." ~ You left out that little bit, didn't you?

Sorta like saying: "I'll agree to you living next door if you agree to giving me half of your property."

Old 08-04-2014, 08:44 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,651,677 times
Quote:
Oh, oh, Zimar will be along any second now with his honesty club, or then again, maybe not; he's funny that way.

Perhaps Zimar is not as aware of the dishonesty of 'deliberate omission'. Or perhaps it's just a bias on his part.

Israel withdrew because any position agreed to by Fatah/Hamas was contingent upon territorial discussions, as in: ~ "you must give us more land." ~ You left out that little bit, didn't you?

Sorta like saying: "I'll agree to you living next door if you agree to giving me half of your property."

Do you have a source for that quote?

Old 08-04-2014, 08:49 PM

1,698 posts, read 1,823,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Do you have a source for that quote?
I don't think he does, he's just making everything up as he goes along. I would have called out his previous post but I don't even know what he's babbling about and his credibility is gone anyway... he is ready for Israel to become an apartheid state, for Pete's sake!!!

Old 08-04-2014, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Groups like Hamas gain a foothold when there is unrest, dissatisfaction or no hope. They were on the way out until Israel overreacted, we will see. When you have nothing left to lose you make bad choices out of desperation, that is how they came to power. Israel may have just given Hamas a new life.
And perhaps that's going to ultimately swing the pendulum once again. Hamas given credence to embolden even worse strikes in the future will result in what once again? Israel isn't leaving so my guess this is going to continue ratcheting up until everyone concerned recognizes a total withdrawal of non-belligerants from the area of conflict through a monitored evacuation of innocent civilians is paramount with no fudging of lines by so-called U.N. agents who are actually Palestinians appointed by Hamas, setting up phony safe zones within a combat area.

Narrowing the future conflicts down to Hamas personnel only, being in the gun-sights would go a long way to resolving this impossible situation.

Old 08-04-2014, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimar View Post
I don't think he does, he's just making everything up as he goes along. I would have called out his previous post but I don't even know what he's babbling about and his credibility is gone anyway... he is ready for Israel to become an apartheid state, for Pete's sake!!!
Israel becoming an apartheid state has less to do with Israel's behaviour than the so-called Palestinians. That's the essential point you're failing to understand.

Your inane naiveté displayed in your posting is the very epitome of "babble" so you would not be an accepted authority.

It's not my credibility in question young'un, nor is it yours to assign.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:00 PM

1,698 posts, read 1,823,021 times
Quote:
Israel becoming an apartheid state has less to do with Israel's behaviour than the so-called Palestinians. That's the essential point you're failing to understand.
You are exactly right- please explain to me how Israel becoming an apartheid state is the responsibility of the Palestinians.

I eagerly await your response, oldy.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:04 PM

4,571 posts, read 3,521,064 times
Boy, there are sure some ignorant and hateful leftists posting in this thread. Color me surprised.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:00 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,866,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimar View Post
Israel is the party with power. Israel is a nation with one of the most sophisticated militaries in the world, and Hamas is a political organization with not much else to show for. As the party with power, the onus is on them to act in good faith. They do not. And I do believe that the disproportionate civilian deaths in the current conflict have shown the world that Israel is not a good "partner for peace."
This is an oft-repeated and fairly nonsensical argument. Israel is more powerful, so the onus is on them to let the less powerful force mess with them? What's the point of building a strong nation if you aren't allowed to use that strength to defend yourself?

I get so sick of people posting this inane non-argument, and the related "there are only __ Israeli casualties and ____ Palestinian casualties," as though war is supposed to be something fair.

"okay guys, time to call it a night. How many did you lose?"
"A hundred. How about you?"
"Six."
"Wow, that really isn't fair. There's such a massive discrepancy in how many people were lost."
"You're right. Here, take these 94 guys and kill them so we are even."
"Great, thanks Ze'ev! Hey, while we're at it, we noticed that you guys have all these tanks and stuff. We don't have any..."
"Oh wow! Thanks for pointing that out, Hamish. Here, take twenty tanks and a couple apaches. Oh, and have some TOW missiles, too; yours are waaaaaaay too inaccurate for this to be a fair fight."
"You think you could give us a couple weeks to use this stuff to catch up attacking your populace before we go back to fighting?"
"Hey, fair is fair, buddy. Go for it!"

WAR IS NOT FAIR. If you didn't want to get your butt handed to you in an "unfair" war, then why did you pick a fight with a country that's effectively infinitely more powerful than you? Hamas and their supporters love blathering on about how Israel is "losing" and at the same time they are up in arms at the disproportionate amount of fail that Hamas deals in.

The pro-Palestinian side has never had any idea what its talking about though:

"The brave and mighty Palestinian warriors could destroy the weak and cowardly Israelis, but they aren't, because they want peace!"
*Palestine spends the first half of the first decade of this century desperately attempting to deal any blow it possibly can to Israel, failing nine times out of ten because they are inept idiots, rejecting proposal after proposal, blowing through truce after truce, before Abbas finally realizes it's hopeless. Hamas takes up the mantle instead*

"The APARTHEID WALL will only serve to oppress the poor, defenseless, peaceful Palestinian people! It won't do anything to help Israel, or stem the tide of totally justified civil disobedience protest pyrotechnics they use on buses, cafes, malls, and other totally understandable places where settlers and the IDF gather."
*APARTHEID WALL goes up, bombings almost totally stop*

"The Palestinians cry out for peace and only want to live in sanctity like those scummy Jew thieves next door. If Israel pulled out the world would see the beautiful, ancient, egalitarian Palestinian culture flourish into prosperity."
*Israel pulls out, Palestinians are unable to get around the Apartheid Wall, proceed to kill each other, destroy religious shrines and infrastructure, use all their resources to launch rockets at Israel, and generally turn the place into a cesspit*

I certainly feel sorry for the Palestinians who DO want peace and are intelligent enough to know they must learn to live alongside Israel who are suffering in this, and for the children too young to understand what's happening. To those who still want war and vengeance, to those who still think that unwavering antagonism is their only hope, I say good riddance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies