Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 09:34 AM

1,152 posts, read 1,278,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigby06 View Post
What is the difference between a semi-automatic rifle and a fully automatic rifle, besides the rate of fire; not much. I know that there are fully automatic weapons that can fire above 600 rounds per minute. But for sake of basic math, a weapon that is capable of firing 600 rounds per minute = 10 rounds per second or 1 round every tenth of a second. That is impressive but a good shooter with a fast trigger can do almost the same thing with a semi-automatic weapon. I am by no means a fast shooter, but I can do 3 - 4 rounds per second. Now you take someone like Jerry Miculek and OMG he is almost as fast as a machinegun with a semi-automatic weapon. I have seen video's of him with a .45 ACP and a 10 round magazine, Jerry Miculek can put all 10 rounds on the same 6" target in just over 1 second. and he can shoot almost as fast with a revolver or shotgun as well.

There was an episode of American Guns for a young cowboy shooter had a lever action rifle custom built, this was one of the best shooters in the world at the time, this young many did a head to head competition with one of the gunsmiths, 9 targets side by side, the gunsmith used a 9 millimeter machinegun, and the kid used his new lever action rifle, the kid won, out shout the machinegun. That just goes to show you practice, practice, practice.

As far as owning a fully automatic machine gun it would be nice, but my biggest problem is, if I can walk in to a gun store, have a background check performed, in this case show 3 forms of identification and leave with a so call "Assault Rifle"; being a semi-automatic version of the military rifle, without paying a $200 tax stamp, and local law enforcement does not need to be contacted, what is the difference with a fully automatic rifle? With the only difference being I can go through a magazine in 7 seconds for the semi-automatic rifle, instead of 3 - 4 seconds with the fully automatic rifle.
Actually, the way the distinction is defined in law has more to do with number of shots per physical action by the shooter. That means if one action - a squeeze of the trigger - results in more than one shot, the weapon is fully automatic rather than semi-automatic. Has nothing at all to do with the rate of fire.

The 10-22 gatlin gun and similar designs are considered semi-auto because they require continual effort (cranking a handle) to continue to fire. Bump fire assisting devices often seem to fall on the other side of the line - though I do not know much about them, not being terribly interested in the subject.

Old 08-15-2014, 11:09 AM

1,645 posts, read 1,215,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prosopis View Post
Actually, the way the distinction is defined in law has more to do with number of shots per physical action by the shooter. That means if one action - a squeeze of the trigger - results in more than one shot, the weapon is fully automatic rather than semi-automatic. Has nothing at all to do with the rate of fire.

The 10-22 gatlin gun and similar designs are considered semi-auto because they require continual effort (cranking a handle) to continue to fire. Bump fire assisting devices often seem to fall on the other side of the line - though I do not know much about them, not being terribly interested in the subject.
I am quite familiar with a select fire weapon, being either 3 round burst, 5 round burst, or fully automatic. I was not trying to get into the legal definition of a fully automatic weapon, I was trying to point out that the difference between the two can be only a few seconds.

Old 08-15-2014, 11:20 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,947,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManassesMomma View Post
You didn't shoot that from the shoulder, in prone position either.
Actually I have shoulder fired (you won't do it long, too heavy, but adrenaline is a major assist), fired from the hip (it is called a sling, solves that problem no problem), and from the prone position, the M60 Barrel comes with a bi-pod attached and it is the most come way they were fired. You were saying?

Old 08-15-2014, 05:43 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,745,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigby06 View Post
My best friend is one of those people with a really fast trigger finger, I have watched him dump 8 rounds of 00 Buck shot out of my semi-automatic Benelli M1 in under 2 seconds. He had fired it so fast, I thought he had only fired 4 rounds, instead of all 8, but the shotgun was empty. I watched a video of a gunsmith hear in Virginia empty a 25 round drum with a Saiga 12 guage in about 6.5 seconds, there are many fast shooters out there. And these are all weapons that are semi-automatic, not needing any tax stamp, and not needing CLEO to sign off on it.
Not them same thing..Trust me when you ha full auto its never the same..I want everyone to have the ability to buy new ones.

Old 08-15-2014, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Select fire is for those that cannot control their own rate of fire, we did not need them in my day we learned to control our fire and while 3 rounds is a good selection there are times when a higher rate is optimal. I always wonder why they went that way, did they think people were too stupid to learn how to control their weapons?
Yeah well your money, your weapons, , your choice. Why should I not have the ability to buy a newly made machine gun.

Old 08-15-2014, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
I carried an M60 for years, makes a BAR seem like child's play, we are talking a belt fed weapon and we would get the barrels so hot we had a glove to switch out barrels.
Had the honor of shooting a that beast at a machine gun...So bad ass.

Old 08-15-2014, 10:36 PM

So any ideas on building a case against the Hughes Amendment?

Old 08-15-2014, 11:03 PM

32,073 posts, read 15,077,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
Make the case against new machine guns being added the machine gun registry.

For those of you who do not know much about this subject I will explain.

Before May 19th 1986 you could buy a new machine gun for very little money because private citizens and companies could add more machine guns into the registry so the supply could be increased to match demand.

Now during the 1980`s during the "cocaine cowboy" days alot of people thought that machine guns were being used during crimes. This is not the case and to date only 5 legally owned machine guns have ever been used in crime in this nation since 1934.

This did not stop the Democratic(like any other major party would do something this illegal) Representative William J. Hughes of New Jersey add an amendment that banned the adding of new machine guns into the registry. This amendment failed both a vote and electric vote and yet still added to the bill.

This video is proof.

An amendment that failed not one but two votes some how made it into the final bill that was signed by President Reagan.

After the cut off date of May 19th 1986 no new machine gun can be added into the registry...

Now for a while the prices stayed very very low. After 1994 the internet went public and more and more people found out via the web that you can legally own machine guns. Now the law of supply and demand kicks in a finate supply but a every increasing demand has caused prices to sky rocket.

Before and after prices.

Before the registry was closed you could buy a newly made MAC-10 or MAC-11 for around $500 plus the $200 tax stamp. Now it would cost you $2500 to $3000 plus the $200 tax stamp.

You could buy a converted MP5 for close to $1000 plus a $200 tax stamp. Now it would cost you at least $15,000 to $18,000 plus the $200 tax stamp..

You could buy a Drop In Auto Sear for your AR15 for under $300 or build it yourself for about $5.00 a plus a $200 tax stamp. That same $300 Drop In Auto Sear now goes for $18,000 to $27,000 plus the $200 tax stamp.

You could buy a War Trophy like a STG-44, MG-42 for a reasonable price, plus a $200 tax stamp. That same STG-44 now cost at least $90,000 mostly to the fact they are really old and not longer made, well a MG-42 now cost at least $70,000 plus the $200 tax stamp.

You could buy a M60 E1, E2 or a E3 model for maybe $2,000 plus a $200 tax stamp. Now that same M60 will cost you at least $50,000 plus the $200 tax stamp.

You could buy M2 Browning .50 cal for $3,000 plus a $200 tax stamp. Now that same M2 Browning will cost you at least $60,000 plus the $200 tax stamp.

You could even buy a M134 Minigun for a cheap $12,000 to $15,000 plus a $200 tax stamp.. That same M134 Minigun now cost at least $500,000 plus the $200 tax stamp.

So this illegally added amendment has priced a whole class of arms out of the reach of the common man.

Now my questions are the following.

Why the hell do we not just reopen the registry?

Why turn down over $200,000,000 in tax revenue it would take in over the next 10 years?

Why limit the Civil and Constitutional rights of Americans to an arbitrary amount of devices at a arbitrary point in time for a arbitrary reasons via a illegally added amendment?

Why should we allow the registry to remain close when it has been found to be unconstitutional after US v. Rock Island Armory, Inc?

And please don`t give me some cop out such as "You don`t need one" or "the founding fathers did not for see repeating firearms" even though they had seen, and used them Google puckle gun.

The founding fathers couldn't imagine weapons other than the musket - The AK Files Forums

And Go!
Why would anyone need a machine gun.

Old 08-15-2014, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Why would anyone need a machine gun.
We the people have the right to keep and bear arms and that right shall not be infringed.

They have many uses.

Competition
Recreation
Collecting
Hunting of feral boar
Self Defense from criminals or a tyrannical government.

There not fact based argument to deny or limit the rights of people to the technology of a arbitrary law.

Why limit the Civil and Constitutional rights of Americans to an arbitrary amount of devices at a arbitrary point in time for a arbitrary reasons via a illegally added amendment?

Old 08-15-2014, 11:27 PM

32,073 posts, read 15,077,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
We the people have the right to keep and bear arms and that right shall not be infringed.

They have many uses

Competition
Recreation
Collecting
Hunting of feral boar
Self Defense

Really. There were no machine guns back then. Self defense lol are you kidding me. Machine guns have no use in this day and age. Stop hiding behind guns and use your own wits. You may be surprised how effective you are at that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies