Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 12:53 PM

195 posts, read 154,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
There are very learned individuals who actually are charged with the responsibility of determining what is.......and what is not........constitutional. It's called the Judiciary Branch of the United States government.

They all say your kitchen table analysis of constitutional law is wrong.

All it takes is a dictionary in this case.
No wonder it takes so long to get the government to work.

Old 08-11-2014, 12:57 PM

195 posts, read 154,020 times
Quote:
Admittedly, it is a very poor law. Basically an over reaction to the (at the time) gangster threat by government. A clear case of the government sneaking one in on the people, But then, the 2nd amendment had not been affirmed by the courts to be an individual right. It would be interesting to legally revisit. NRA has more money than God, perhaps they could take it on. Sure would be a good fund raiser for them.
Problem is, when you start overturning longstanding federal laws you end up bumping into state's rights and their abilities to set even more draconian restrictions.
For gun rights advocates, the threat is not so much from the feds except for small annoying actions. It's from the states who enact very restrictive gun ownership policies. Maryland, New Jersey and California stand out in this regard.

When was the last time the feds threw anyone in jail and took their automatic weapons?
Randy Weaver?

Old 08-11-2014, 01:05 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,667,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManassesMomma View Post
When was the last time the feds threw anyone in jail and took their automatic weapons?
Randy Weaver?
Randy had an illegal sawed off shotgun and the Feds overreacted. Everybody lost in that argument.

Old 08-11-2014, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManassesMomma View Post
All it takes is a dictionary in this case.
No wonder it takes so long to get the government to work.
What a trite comment to a factual post. If you don't believe in the US Judicial system as our founding fathers set it up, what are you doing here?
I suggest you load up your AR15, put on your mud boots and march on down to the nearest federal building and tell them exactly how you feel about the government violating the constitution.

Old 08-11-2014, 01:59 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,827,388 times

Old 08-11-2014, 02:06 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,914,362 times
Quote:
NRA has more money than God, perhaps they could take it on. Sure would be a good fund raiser for them no natter the judicial outcome.
In 2013, the NRA raised over $10M for its lobbying group in 2013. I thought the Almighty would be a little more flush with cash. The Friends of the NRA raised over $50M but they are a 501(c)(3) charitable organization and that money does not go to the day to day operations of the NRA. In fact, 50% stays in the state where it was raised for shooting education and even scholarships.

Quote:
I'm not against lifting the grandfathered requirement of MGs and Subs. We should be able to purchase newer models and current issue units. But i would keep the Form 4s, the 200.00 Tax Stamp charge and the thorough background check as it exist today. I would also continue the requirement of notifying the CLEO (Chief Law Enforcement Officer) in the location where the MG will be located. I have relatives who are in LE. They want to know where those MGs are for personal safety. Other than that, I wouldn't mind some of the new HK and Sig models, among others, now circulating.
And that is the exact reason why I haven't delved into any of the cheaper NFA items like SBR or suppressor. I refuse to allow anyone to come in and inspect my firearms.

I can see keeping the tax. In fact, that's the ONLY thing I see as Constitutional.

Quote:
Biggest problems I see are there are people here on this board who think those restrictions I just pointed out are still unconstitutional and would fight lifting the grandfather clause tooth and nail because of the background check and the tax stamp.
I'm one of them. So how did we get along without background checks for so long?

Old 08-11-2014, 02:28 PM

5 posts, read 6,464 times
I agree if you get the required background check and paperwork and the $200 tax from the ATF you should be good to go. I believe that automatic weapons made after 1986 should be able to be freely bought and purchased with more regulation then with semi- automatic firearms.

Zach

Old 08-11-2014, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
In 2013, the NRA raised over $10M for its lobbying group in 2013. I thought the Almighty would be a little more flush with cash. The Friends of the NRA raised over $50M but they are a 501(c)(3) charitable organization and that money does not go to the day to day operations of the NRA. In fact, 50% stays in the state where it was raised for shooting education and even scholarships.

And that is the exact reason why I haven't delved into any of the cheaper NFA items like SBR or suppressor. I refuse to allow anyone to come in and inspect my firearms.

I can see keeping the tax. In fact, that's the ONLY thing I see as Constitutional.

I'm one of them. So how did we get along without background checks for so long?
In regards to the bolded part of your post, nobody comes in and inspects your firearms. The Form 4 you submit with your fingerprint card to BATFE is routed to the CLEO in your town, city or municipality and he must sign off on it as being informed that there is an MP5 at the following address. If the CLEO refuses to sign off on your form 4 for any reason, your approval will be denied.

Old 08-11-2014, 03:26 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,097,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Imagine if you will a football game.

Now imagine someone with a 50 caliber macinegun mounted to their truck driving out on the field, and opening up.

Thats why we need machineguns to be regulated like this, a truly wealthy person who can afford the license is FAR less likely to do this sort of thing.

*I feel dirty just trying to make these arguments. Forgive me but im going to bail out and root for the team I agree with....
I honestly can't imagine such a scenario. I feel as though that would be extremely difficult to actually pull off. How would you sneak that past everyone. Not one person would have seen that?

This just seems unlikely to happen. If someone wants to commit mass murder, a large machine gun on a truck is not the best way to do it. You can't sneak that by people. Even an assault rifle could be tucked away under a coat, but a machine gun, let alone .50 caliber one... the average person probably couldn't even pick that thing up, and certainly not remain upright while firing it.

Old 08-11-2014, 03:35 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,914,362 times
Quote:
In regards to the bolded part of your post, nobody comes in and inspects your firearms. The Form 4 you submit with your fingerprint card to BATFE is routed to the CLEO in your town, city or municipality and he must sign off on it as being informed that there is an MP5 at the following address. If the CLEO refuses to sign off on your form 4 for any reason, your approval will be denied.
I've always been under the impression that I was also giving them permission to make sure I was still in possession of the said NFA item. True or not, I don't want local PD knowing any of my inventory even if it is one item.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies