Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 08:52 AM

1,152 posts, read 1,277,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt E. View Post
Well, to address your thread, know that some oldtimer paid about $200 back in the 1920s for a real full auto Thompson at a local hardware store. I remember when you could get a nice one for around $2,500.

Those days are long gone.

It would be nice to open up the registry again and see what comes of that.
One thing you have to remember is that 1 oz of gold was $20 in the 1920's, today it is around $1300. I tend to think today's price remains rather inflated compared to other commodities, but I am by no means an expert on the subject.

When the 1934 National Firearms Act was passed, that $200 tax stamp was an expensive item, as was a gun purchased under it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManassesMomma View Post
Guns are an investment. They never depreciate, unless they have been neglected.

My dads old double barrel 12 that he has had since before I was born, he probably paid $25 for, is now worth $1200.

I have dads old 50's Sears & Robuck 30.06, because of the chromed barrel and the Mauser action, it is a very sought after and very accurate rifle, The original scope is a plus for collectors. Who knew.
Guns are better than lottery tickets, but worse than the stock market. Most of the value increase you see is just following inflation. Sometimes you get lucky and hit on a collecting quirk, and sometimes you get lucky with unnoticed rarity or desirability. They sure are more fun than either the lottery or stocks though

Old 08-13-2014, 03:19 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,818,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prosopis View Post
Guns are better than lottery tickets, but worse than the stock market. Most of the value increase you see is just following inflation. Sometimes you get lucky and hit on a collecting quirk, and sometimes you get lucky with unnoticed rarity or desirability. They sure are more fun than either the lottery or stocks though
I completely agree, generally the only time you can make money buying a gun is on the day you buy (meaning you pay bellow market price). Buying new guns as a long term investment is foolish, that is why you don't see anyone actually doing it.

Old 08-13-2014, 04:37 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,739,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
The disease of liberalism happened.
They just destroy everything they touch.

Old 08-13-2014, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Those Steyr AUGs and MSAR STG556s are very expensive in both semi auto and Class III configurations. Anyone who owns a VCR or DVD player KNOWS what they are. Heaven forbid you get your hands on a minty pristine fully transferable pre May 19th 1986 Class III full auto example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wykwob6IL-Y

I've had three FFLs call and ask me about my MSAR in the last six months and if I wanted to sell her.

Nope, afraid not guys!!

NIB (new in box) unfired.
Such great times...

Old 08-13-2014, 06:02 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,818,000 times
Quote:
LOL

I'd bet you'd love to get your mits on my Springfield Armory FBI SWAT/HRT Professional. It ran me $2,500 and took a year to get it. The price is over $3,000 now and a 2.5 year wait to get one AFTER you pay for it. You can imagine what one is worth when someone doesn't want to wait 2.5 years. They also are Operators now with an ugly rail. If you want a very low serial number and no rail, you'll pay what you have to to get one.

I bet you'd like to get a hold of my MSAR STG556 NIB unfired with both the commando and tulip AUG flashhiders as well. I even have genuine MSAR 20, 30 round clear mags and some 42 round black. No wait, Microtech doesn't build guns anymore. You're SOL I'm affraid.
You are really missing the point.

If buying guns as an investment is a good idea you should cash out your retirement and spend it on guns, buy 100 Springfield armory FBI/swat overrated 1911 pistols... Oh look, your not going to do this.

Old 08-13-2014, 06:21 PM

Any ideas on how we can reopen the registry?

What grounds for a case do we have?

Is the fact the amendment was illegally added not grounds enough?

Old 08-13-2014, 06:45 PM

195 posts, read 153,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
Any ideas on how we can reopen the registry?

What grounds for a case do we have?

Is the fact the amendment was illegally added not grounds enough?

File suit in Federal Court.

Old 08-13-2014, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Start with a new POTUS and the NRA.

Mostly the former. The NRA isn't my most loved organization. They let stuff slip through and are guilty too as far as I am concerned. If I didn't have to be a member to belong to my shooting club, I would give them the middle finger and save my money in a heartbeat.
God Damn right they are guilty, until the "Cincinnati Revolt" of 1977 when they found their balls they allow the NFA and GCA to pass and even supported them.

Maybe Gun Owner of America will lead the fight..Do we try and use the courts?

Old 08-13-2014, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManassesMomma View Post
File suit in Federal Court.
Quote:
The NRA tries that all the time. It's why they call you twice a week to solicit money. It doesn't take much brains to know you will lose against an unlimited tax payer funded budget and the Gobment.
What do we file on the grounds of?

Yeah more proof their should be a limitations how much a trial should cost.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:04 PM

Quote:
You need that POTUS.

GWB "forgot" to do anything about AWB94.

Oopsie!! Damn....I mean darn it! lol

lol
God Bless that man for doing that..I mean he was not perfect but God bless him for not acting and making that monstrosity lasting another 10 years.

Last edited by gunlover; 08-13-2014 at 07:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies