Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 01:15 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Why are you accusing that poster of lying? I, too, went to a school where everyone went home at lunch through 6th grade. Working moms had to make other arrangements. This was in a little borough in Pennsylvania. Other kids in the area went to a school where some kids went home, and others who lived a little further away, took lunch at school.
Please, I'm interested......(you'll note I asked about specifics, without these specifics then I said the story isn't true). Your entire school lived close enough to go home, eat and come back in what? 45 minutes? What other arrangements did these working mothers make?

I on occasion went home for lunch. Our back yard butted up to the school property so I was home in 5 minutes. The vast majority of the school would not have been able to do this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2014, 01:24 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Please, I'm interested......(you'll note I asked about specifics, without these specifics then I said the story isn't true). Your entire school lived close enough to go home, eat and come back in what? 45 minutes? What other arrangements did these working mothers make?

I on occasion went home for lunch. Our back yard butted up to the school property so I was home in 5 minutes. The vast majority of the school would not have been able to do this.
Here's the map:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Pa...81024d825f0644
The school served the area in red. It was a small, multi-age school. My own specific class was small, with I think 13 kids by the end of 6th grade. The classes ahead and behind me were bigger, more like 20 kids.

Grades 1-3 (later changed to 1-2 when they built an addition and added a 3rd classroom) got out at 11:30, were due back at 1 PM. Grades 4-6 (later 3-6, in two classrooms) got out at 11:45 and had to be back by 1. There weren't a lot of working moms at the time, I knew of a few. Some had grandmothers who came over at lunch. Some may have had other arrangements. Certainly by 5th or 6th grades, some kids came home to an empty house and had to fix lunch for themselves. I vaguely remember having to fix lunch for my brother and I on occasion. Most kids had no more than a 5 min walk, even if they dawdled.
(The school isn't on the map b/c it's been torn down, the victim of school consolidation. It was at 5th St. and 7th Ave.)

Old 09-06-2014, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Here's the map:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Pa...81024d825f0644
The school served the area in red. It was a small, multi-age school. My own specific class was small, with I think 13 kids by the end of 6th grade. The classes ahead and behind me were bigger, more like 20 kids.

Grades 1-3 (later changed to 1-2 when they built an addition and added a 3rd classroom) got out at 11:30, were due back at 1 PM. Grades 4-6 (later 3-6, in two classrooms) got out at 11:45 and had to be back by 1. There weren't a lot of working moms at the time, I knew of a few. Some had grandmothers who came over at lunch. Some may have had other arrangements. Certainly by 5th or 6th grades, some kids came home to an empty house and had to fix lunch for themselves. I vaguely remember having to fix lunch for my brother and I on occasion. Most kids had no more than a 5 min walk, even if they dawdled.
(The school isn't on the map b/c it's been torn down, the victim of school consolidation. It was at 5th St. and 7th Ave.)
So they sent 1st and 2nd graders off on their own for 1 1/2 hours? Just send them off?

Old 09-06-2014, 02:09 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,144,523 times
Quote:
So they sent 1st and 2nd graders off on their own for 1 1/2 hours? Just send them off?
Our rural school district... my son rode the bus for an hour and 10 minutes just to get to school or home....some folks just don't get that what they've experienced isn't what some of the rest of us have.

Old 09-06-2014, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
Our rural school district... my son rode the bus for an hour and 10 minutes just to get to school or home....some folks just don't get that what they've experienced isn't what some of the rest of us have.
Which is why I ask questions. Lots of kids have long bus rides. You wouldn't make them take another in the middle of the day.

Old 09-06-2014, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Yes. Their moms or someone was at home. That's the way it was set up. And in thinking it over, I don't know why I posted that map. [MOD CUT/off topic] Just because you have no familiarity with a system like this, that doesn't mean it didn't exist.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 09-06-2014 at 04:06 PM..

Old 09-06-2014, 02:32 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,102,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
[/b]Got any facts to back that up, or this is just more right-wing paranoia?
I am going to assume you haven't heard of Bloomberg's efforts to ban large servings of soda in NYC.

Try keeping up with current events.

Old 09-06-2014, 02:49 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,101,079 times
Quote:

I on occasion went home for lunch. Our back yard butted up to the school property so I was home in 5 min utes. The vast majority of the school would not have been able to do this.
My school sent us home for lunch, too. I lived 2 blocks away from school. I think we had 1 hour to get home eat and get back to school. This was late 50s & early 60s. I moved after 4th grade to a school where we had to bring lunch and stay there all day. Schools are very different now. Don´t get why you think posters are liars. We don´t all share the same life experiences.

Old 09-06-2014, 02:58 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,028,329 times
Quote:
Could you post a link to that? I think that may be a school district's personal choice, you know, local control?
Here's an article that talks about how snack foods and a la carte foods are part of the new nutritional standards. There's a link to the standards on the page as well if you want.

USDA Announces Nutrition Standards for Snack Foods and Beverages Sold in Schools « Food Research & Action Center
Quote:
Today the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) announced its nutrition standards for all foods sold in school outside of the federal school lunch and breakfast programs, including cafeteria “a la carte” items, vending machines, and other snack foods, and beverages. These new standards are an important step to remedy nutritional shortfalls in our nation’s children’s diets and to help address the obesity crisis.

These new nutrition standards, consistent with the U.S. Dietary Guidelines, will promote the health of all school children throughout America. “Low-income children will especially benefit from these strong standards,” said FRAC President, Jim Weill. “When peer pressure and stigma drive low-income students to purchase less healthy appealing competitive foods, instead of eating healthy school meals, they lose out nutritionally in a much bigger way than their more affluent peers, and their families lose financially,” said Weill.

Old 09-06-2014, 03:00 PM

Quote:
No, you should not outright just take everything a person says as factual. Has sites like this not shown you this? People say things that are false all the time. I asked for clarification as to how every kid in a school was able to walk home from school for lunch. I said unless it was a very small school it couldn't happen. You said you attended a very small school.
And yet you STILL questioned it, even when I posted a map and showed where the school was! It made me feel stupid. Numerous other people here have said they came home for lunch as well. Just because you never heard of it, that doesn't mean it didn't happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies