Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2014, 08:29 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,909,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
These calories are not enough for many. The athlete, the kid that this is their only regular meal. I could go on.
If they're unhappy they can pack their own lunch. You want a free one? You get a healthy one which doctors and nutritionists say it balanced. Stop whining and take some responsibility if you're so unhappy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 08:49 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
If they're unhappy they can pack their own lunch. You want a free one? You get a healthy one which doctors and nutritionists say it balanced. Stop whining and take some responsibility if you're so unhappy.
No nutritionist or doctor would say a one size fits all diet was healthy. Especially when its aimed at the lowest common denominator.

Old 09-05-2014, 09:20 PM

6,193 posts, read 5,370,306 times
The sad thing here is the o wife has a hard time differentiating between governmental control and teaching moderation in all things.

And besides, who elected her and how the hell does she get legislation passed?

Old 09-06-2014, 11:15 AM

2,801 posts, read 2,310,612 times
Quote:
Then what is the point? If the fat kid can simply bring in a bag full of Twinkies and cookies, what exactly is the point?
How about his/her PARENT does their job?

Old 09-06-2014, 11:42 AM

2,801 posts, read 2,310,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench409 View Post
The sad thing here is the o wife has a hard time differentiating between governmental control and teaching moderation in all things.

And besides, who elected her and how the hell does she get legislation passed?

You guys DO understand the FEDERAL Government has controlled what is available for school lunches since at least 1946, remember when some groups screamed during Reagan's first term that Ketchup could be considered a "vegetable" (not really the truth) here is a little history of the School lunch program. Ketchup as a vegetable - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

All this stuff applies ONLY to the School Lunch Program, parents can send whatever they want with their child, despite what Rush and Beck tell ya'll. I went to school in the 70's, until sixth grade everyone went home for lunch, my mother worked and made too much for me to quality for a "Lunch Card" to I had to pay full price, I could pack my lunch or buy something at school, my mother made sure there was food in the fridge and I always had money. Friday was one day I usually got the special, it was fish and tatter tots.

Have parents forgotten how to be parents or have the children become so dumb they can't figure out how to feed themselves?

Old 09-06-2014, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMack View Post
How about his/her PARENT does their job?
They are. They are demanding that the federal government butts out so that their kid once again gets the lunch they paid for.

Old 09-06-2014, 11:49 AM

Quote:
You guys DO understand the FEDERAL Government has controlled what is available for school lunches since at least 1946, remember when some groups screamed during Reagan's first term that Ketchup could be considered a "vegetable" (not really the truth) here is a little history of the School lunch program. Ketchup as a vegetable - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

All this stuff applies ONLY to the School Lunch Program, parents can send whatever they want with their child, despite what Rush and Beck tell ya'll. I went to school in the 70's, until sixth grade everyone went home for lunch,
Unless you went to a one room school house and all your school mates lived on the same street as the school you aren't telling the truth.

Old 09-06-2014, 11:57 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,028,329 times
Quote:

All this stuff applies ONLY to the School Lunch Program, parents can send whatever they want with their child, despite what Rush and Beck tell ya'll. I went to school in the 70's, until sixth grade everyone went home for lunch, my mother worked and made too much for me to quality for a "Lunch Card" to I had to pay full price, I could pack my lunch or buy something at school, my mother made sure there was food in the fridge and I always had money. Friday was one day I usually got the special, it was fish and tatter tots.

Have parents forgotten how to be parents or have the children become so dumb they can't figure out how to feed themselves?
That would be fine if that was the only issue (the federal funded lunch program). However, at issue is that the new regulations also limit anything provided to the children while in school. If a school wanted to set up an a la carte program, that is completely separate and does not use the federally provided funds, they are prohibited from doing so with the new regulations. That, I believe, is the biggest issue. I know this happened this year at my daughter's old school. The culinary classes (huge high school with lots of programs) purchased, sold, and made foods for an a la carte program that was all self-funded from the proceeds. Any funds leftover was tagged as fundraising money for field trips and the arts program. It wasn't junk food at all. It just didn't meet the rather strict federal guidelines. The regular lunch line (the one provided by federal funds) still existed and there was no co-mingling of funds or foods.

Old 09-06-2014, 12:30 PM

The Supreme Court is going to rule the same way they ruled in Hobby Lobby. They ruled that if the government wants to make birth control available to everyone they are perfectly capable of passing a law that does that.

They will rule that if the government wants the federal exchanges cover everyone, they are perfectly capable of passing a law that actually does that.

Old 09-06-2014, 12:38 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Unless you went to a one room school house and all your school mates lived on the same street as the school you aren't telling the truth.
Why are you accusing that poster of lying? I, too, went to a school where everyone went home at lunch through 6th grade. Working moms had to make other arrangements. This was in a little borough in Pennsylvania. Other kids in the area went to a school where some kids went home, and others who lived a little further away, took lunch at school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
That would be fine if that was the only issue (the federal funded lunch program). However, at issue is that the new regulations also limit anything provided to the children while in school. If a school wanted to set up an a la carte program, that is completely separate and does not use the federally provided funds, they are prohibited from doing so with the new regulations. That, I believe, is the biggest issue. I know this happened this year at my daughter's old school. The culinary classes (huge high school with lots of programs) purchased, sold, and made foods for an a la carte program that was all self-funded from the proceeds. Any funds leftover was tagged as fundraising money for field trips and the arts program. It wasn't junk food at all. It just didn't meet the rather strict federal guidelines. The regular lunch line (the one provided by federal funds) still existed and there was no co-mingling of funds or foods.
Could you post a link to that? I think that may be a school district's personal choice, you know, local control?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies