Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2014, 10:28 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
And I wonder how many parents like me had to pack the calories into their kids to keep them from getting too skinny. As a senior in high school he was 6'2" and all of 145 pounds. Not all kids fit into a nice little "fat" mold either. I don't personally care whether it was Michelle, some senator in a state we don't live or who... let the LOCAL authorities and the PARENTS decide what their children should eat!!!
If you want to do something about it, let me strongly suggest that you take the time to care about who really has the power to change things. If all you do is vent on-line about Michelle Obama, who will be gone in two years, the status quo wins. And, pay attention carefully here, those legislators live in your state. Yes, your state.

I'll repeat myself, so you don't miss it. Both of the U.S. Senators your state sent to Washington voted for the bill that set all this in motion. Some of your Representatives might also have voted for it. And they can rescind it.

Got it now?

Last edited by randomparent; 09-03-2014 at 10:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2014, 10:32 AM

1,259 posts, read 828,898 times
Why don't you leave the food your kids eat "up to free market"? If they want chips, coke, pizza and Burger King that is ok, after all the market wins, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Students Are Fed Up With Michelle Obama's Control Freak Ways And Now They're Hitting Back Full Force

It seems that students are fed up too with the government and/or First ladies input and demands on changes for food in schools.

I agree with the students to leave it up to the free market. If the students don't like it they will not eat it. Parents should teach their kids to eat healthy and not by not having choices.

Michele can choose how she wants her kids to eat and I'm all for more healthier food but kids are kids and if you take it away they will handle it differently and by not eating the food they don't like will make them hungry and not paying attention in class so the level will only be affected.

Michele should promote healthier food if that is what she wants to promote but by taking it out of the school systems is over stepping her binderies and kids don't take it any longer.

Old 09-03-2014, 10:34 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,941,526 times
Quote:
And I wonder how many parents like me had to pack the calories into their kids to keep them from getting too skinny. As a senior in high school he was 6'2" and all of 145 pounds. Not all kids fit into a nice little "fat" mold either. I don't personally care whether it was Michelle, some senator in a state we don't live or who... let the LOCAL authorities and the PARENTS decide what their children should eat!!!
They have been, hence so many fat lazy kids

Old 09-03-2014, 10:39 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
They have been, hence so many fat lazy kids
This will change nothing. The kids aren't fat and lazy because of school lunches. If you want to help stop real obesity, remove it from being a valid disability.

Anything the government subsidizes will only grow.

Old 09-03-2014, 10:48 AM

4,571 posts, read 3,521,064 times

New York schools drop Michelle O’s lunch program

Damn, that's one ugly woman both inside and outside.

Old 09-03-2014, 10:48 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,143,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
If you want to do something about it, let me strongly suggest that you take the time to care about who really has the power to change things. If all you do is vent on-line about Michelle Obama, who will be gone in two years, the status quo wins. And, pay attention carefully here, those legislators live in your state. Yes, your state.

I'll say it again slowly, so you don't miss it. Both of the U.S. Senators your state sent to Washington voted for the bill that set all this in motion. Some of your Representatives might also have voted for it. And they can rescind it.

Got it now?

Okay... My representative in Congress from my district voted NO. Not having much luck finding how both my (R) senators voted.......

Old 09-03-2014, 10:49 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,750,169 times
I don't have a problem with anyone wanting the school lunches to be healthier. My problem has more to do with the overall value of the program. If we are spending billions of dollars on such a program then we really should be seeing much healthier food on the menu. Not just whole wheat pizza crust vs white pizza crust and "low fat cheese" vs full fat cheese. Overall I'd say that the money spent on this program doesn't appear to be a good value.

Old 09-03-2014, 10:49 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
Quote:
Okay... My representative in Congress from my district voted NO. Not having much luck finding how both my (R) senators voted.......
They voted YES! The Senate vote was unanimous. God, how many times do I have to write this down for all of you intellectual giants?

Quote:
For those who are interested, here are a couple of links that will allow you to look up how your U.S. legislators voted...

MapLight: Senate Voting Records, Healthy Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010

MapLight: House Voting Records, Healthy Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010

Old 09-03-2014, 10:55 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,878,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I have worked both as a "lunch lady" and TA at both Title 1 and rich school districts. I once got in a fight with a teacher over a lunch "my" child was eating: black beans and rice, salad, fresh orange, and a container of low fat milk. Perfectly fine and healthy. Black beans = protein. Rice = Grain. Salad = Veggies. Orange = Fruit. Milk = Dairy. All 4 food groups. In addition, NONE of that lunch was high fat and salt.

Let's face it. Americans have terrible diets and the best diets are probably far more Ethnic in nature.
Wow. I'd take "your" child's lunch over the junk that passes for cafeteria food any day of the week!

Last edited by Cathy4017; 09-03-2014 at 11:07 AM..

Old 09-03-2014, 10:56 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,143,759 times
Quote:
They voted YES! The Senate vote was unanimous. God, how many times do I have to write this down for all of you intellectual giants?
Well forgive me.... we should all bow down to your morally superior, delusions of grandeur....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies