Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2014, 07:41 PM

3,955 posts, read 7,201,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Yes and agreed and I am Hispanic but my parents raised me as an American instead of some hyphenated person.
Bravo to them!

Old 10-08-2014, 07:45 PM

13,609 posts, read 21,399,012 times
I am more interested in knowing which candidate speaking in spanish especially spanish candidates told the listeners that illegal immigration must stop because it hurts the everyday citizen and that companies should be sought out and fined and that Mexico , Honduras and such should get their own act together socially and financially.

Old 10-08-2014, 08:03 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,232,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
But if learning other things instead that improves one's lot/career in life while a foreign language will not which one would you choose?
Both.

Old 10-08-2014, 08:12 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,096,953 times
Quote:
But if learning other things instead that improves one's lot/career in life while a foreign language will not which one would you choose? The choice is clear at least for anyone with any common sense. The former makes one more educated also and actually in a better and more beneficial way. Learning a foreign language doesn't make you any smarter than learning something to advance your career. In fact the latter makes more sense.

There are hundreds of foreign cultures. We cannot learn all their languages to "give us a better experience".

Obstinate advocacy to learning multiple foreign languages or even one where it won't be used is even dumber.
A lot of people build entire careers because they speak more than one language. Learning a foreign language can boost your career; by opening opportunities that other wise would not exist. If you took a look at too college grads, both with a degree in business, if one can speak more than one language, that person has more job options that the one who only speaks one language. Your point is completely false. It assumes people already have their career waiting for them while getting an education which is not even remotely true. What one does in their education will help open career options and being bilingual opens up a lot of opportunities that do not exist at all for those who are not bilingual.

Old 10-08-2014, 09:00 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,329,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
A lot of people build entire careers because they speak more than one language. Learning a foreign language can boost your career; by opening opportunities that other wise would not exist. If you took a look at too college grads, both with a degree in business, if one can speak more than one language, that person has more job options that the one who only speaks one language. Your point is completely false. It assumes people already have their career waiting for them while getting an education which is not even remotely true. What one does in their education will help open career options and being bilingual opens up a lot of opportunities that do not exist at all for those who are not bilingual.
Yep. When I moved to the US, there was an ad in the paper desperately looking for people who were multilingual, especially Russian, to translate for the LAPD.
Guess who got the job?

Old 10-08-2014, 09:05 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,266,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Yep. When I moved to the US, there was an ad in the paper desperately looking for people who were multilingual, especially Russian, to translate for the LAPD.
Guess who got the job?
Some Mexican speaking babble and gibberish?

Old 10-08-2014, 09:06 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,266,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
I am more interested in knowing which candidate speaking in spanish especially spanish candidates told the listeners that illegal immigration must stop because it hurts the everyday citizen and that companies should be sought out and fined and that Mexico , Honduras and such should get their own act together socially and financially.
Pfft. Who do you think we are? Canadians? Europeans?

Old 10-08-2014, 09:12 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,897,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forestgump99 View Post
America in decline, we are experiencing the beginning...

Those that think it's not a big deal or its a good think are the ones that can't see the big picture.
This is another example of the US kowtowing to Mexicans and their language instead of them trying to learn English (our language).

Border, Language and Culture.

Their busy trying to break the borders, changing our culture and now the language....then there is no nation.

When will this happen? maybe 20 to 50 years from now or a civil war.

Remember the ALAMO!

Old 10-08-2014, 09:14 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,897,480 times
Quote:
Let's see, one has to be a citizen to vote and one has to know English to become a naturalized citizen. I don't get it!

Most likely never will.

Old 10-08-2014, 09:17 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,678,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I beg to differ with you.
Most immigrants who came to this country that spoke a different language wanted to assimilate. Whether it be the Germans, Polish, Irish, Italians, etc., they decided they wanted to be full fledged Americans and made sure their children not only spoke the native tongue, but also gave them American names. That is one of the reasons they have been successful in this country.
Let's be honest, none of the "immigrants" that came here spoke the "native tongue".........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies