Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2014, 09:20 PM

80 posts, read 99,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretsky99 View Post
This is what happens when you have open borders.
Nothing says freedom, liberty and free markets more than "closed" borders.

Old 10-08-2014, 09:33 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,678,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Yes, there are "minority" cultures living among us. Didn't I already say that, Geez! That still doesn't negate the fact that we do have one identifying culture and language.

Too bad that your ancestors didn't care enough to learn the language that "they" chose to migrate to. With my ancestors it was the opposite. They wanted to be American in every way and learned and spoke English. That doesn't mean they gave up their native traditions and even some of the language at home and nothing wrong with that.

The "immigrants" coming today are more like yours. They don't want to assimilate to the country "they" chose to migrate to. Why come here then? Are we just a cash cow of opportunity for them?
Acting as though "we", the populace of the United States, have in our constitution, a portion that directs us to speak a certain language. We don't and never will. Language adaptation for immigrants has never been one of immediate change, the various peoples who came here in the 1900's were barely able to communicate in english, it was their offspring that carried the old language as a second, and their children spoke english almost exclusively.

Relax, breathe deep and experience the change. You and your complaining won't matter a a bit in the end, things morph and often for the better. Always whining about those things that don't always serve you directly is a sign of self indulgence, get over it already........

Old 10-08-2014, 09:42 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,909,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
Let's be honest, none of the "immigrants" that came here spoke the "native tongue".........
Uh; I'm 100 percent sure the later arriving American Indian tribes did NOT speak the "native" tongue either.

Old 10-08-2014, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Acting as though "we", the populace of the United States, have in our constitution, a portion that directs us to speak a certain language. We don't and never will. Language adaptation for immigrants has never been one of immediate change, the various peoples who came here in the 1900's were barely able to communicate in english, it was their offspring that carried the old language as a second, and their children spoke english almost exclusively.

Relax, breathe deep and experience the change. You and your complaining won't matter a a bit in the end, things morph and often for the better. Always whining about those things that don't always serve you directly is a sign of self indulgence, get over it already........
If talking about ILLEGAL aliens: they all just need to be deported, I don't care abut their feelings. MOST legal aliens WANT to learn English and INSIST on their kids to speak it, at least that's the way they rolled 100 years ago.

Old 10-08-2014, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbabyatskiy View Post
Nothing says freedom, liberty and free markets more than "closed" borders.
In fifty years nobody will bother with commenting on these kinds of social changes, I guess for now we'll have those among us who for whatever reason can't see change for the inevitable path humans always take.
back in the fifties the US was a kind of closed society, not unlike the Chinese of the early part of the eighteenth century. Peeking out from our narrow views of the past we see things moving along in directions that none would have predicted a century ago.

The web has opened a portal of low brow discourse, it's sad on the one hand, but instructive when viewed as proof of the fact that mankind most likely didn't evolve all together. Diverse views are everywhere and still the Troglodytes insist the world is out of synch because of them, they can't/won't find the reasonable path instead arguing that the world should adapt to Troglodyte customs and culture...

Old 10-08-2014, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
If talking about ILLEGAL aliens: they all just need to be deported, I don't care abut their feelings. MOST legal aliens WANT to learn English and INSIST on their kids to speak it, at least that's the way they rolled 100 years ago.
Sure, of course, 100 years ago..........

Old 10-08-2014, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Uh; I'm 100 percent sure the later arriving American Indian tribes did NOT speak the "native" tongue either.
"They" were the dominant culture, and those immigrant whites were NOT, did you think to ask why "they" didn't bother to learn the "dominant" language.

Old 10-08-2014, 09:54 PM

Who really cares that Spanish is now present in so much of the American dynamic? I've heard all these whiners yelling on and on about something that they can't do a damn thing about except come here and whine like insistent children, I want to say to so many of these fools, grow up, get used to it, it's here whether you like it or not. This is exactly the response I've heard from those who hate on the native American when the Indians called attention to the fact that they were now excluded in their own nation....

Old 10-08-2014, 09:54 PM

Quote:
"They" were the dominant culture, and those immigrant whites were NOT, did you think to ask why "they" didn't bother to learn the "dominant" language.
Stop it please. The SAME things can be said about Mexico with the Hispanics coming 500 years ago in and slamming the Aztecs and other tribes to the ground. Maybe we should've taken ALL of Mexico in 1848 instead of half.

Old 10-08-2014, 10:05 PM

3,955 posts, read 7,201,863 times
I just sure in hell hope we don't have to hear the national anthem sung in Spanish at sporting events now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies