Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2014, 07:17 AM

62,974 posts, read 29,170,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
"They" were the dominant culture, and those immigrant whites were NOT, did you think to ask why "they" didn't bother to learn the "dominant" language.
Here we go with the past again. We can't explain what or why people did what they did hundreds of years ago. They're all dead. Shall we dig them up and ask them? They aren't us and we aren't them for God's sake. Why bring up whites anyway? They were Europeans. Race is irrelevant except to those who hate whites past, present and future and there are plenty of them in this forum and in our society as a whole. It is just as disgusting as those who hate other races.

Old 10-09-2014, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Why are you blaming the left for open borders. We have had republicans in the white house who have ignored it as well.
Here's the difference. Did any Republican president instruct Homeland Security not to deport any illegal aliens unless they were "convicted" criminals aka Obama? Did they implement a stay of deportation for hundreds of thousand of illegal aliens (twice now) along with work permits aka Obama? Did thousands of Central Americans ever flood our borders before claiming refugee status aka Obama? Did they promise amnesty for illegal aliens for their entire term as president aka Obama?

Yes, I am aware of Reagan's amnesty and Bush, Jr.'s push for an amnesty at one time but there is no comparison to what is going on via Obama today.

Old 10-09-2014, 07:30 AM

15,866 posts, read 21,452,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
American names like Fiorello LaGuardia and Mario Cuomo?

Also, what's considered an American name? An English name? A name from the Bible(like Juan)? A Germanic or Celtic or Latin name? America is just a mutt to begin with...
I think he means LaToya, Nevaeh, Jayden, Brooklyn, Kaydence, or River.

I speak Spanish near-fluently (though a little rusty). My family first came to the US in 1638 - if they weren't here before (and guess what - those who were here before didn't speak English). The other half of my family arrived in the US around the turn of the century. The immigrants took years to speak broken English - and my great-great grandmothers still primarily spoke Yiddish at home, synagogue, and among family and friends. The 1st generation learned English at school. It wasn't until the 2nd generation that the family assimilated. All, mind you, while building successful businesses - some of which are in existence today.

I look forward to watching the debate.

Old 10-09-2014, 07:37 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,705,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Our identifying American culture isn't a culture?
What do you consider "our identifying American culture"? I am curious to know your definition. I've been all over the U.S. in the last 10-15 years (I've spent time in places in 45 out of our 50 states) and I am hard-pressed to think of many, truly homogeneous, cultural aspects that are the same everywehere I have been (except maybe for fast foot retaurants). The cultural aspects of different cities or regions in the U.S. are as varied as those between different countries in Europe.

Quote:
If I want to experience another culture I sure as hell don't have to learn their language to do it.
True to some extent - you can go to, for example, many European countries and not have to know the native language because many people in those countries also speak English (and a fair number of them proficiently speak more than two languages).

Old 10-09-2014, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
What do you consider "our identifying American culture"? I am curious to know your definition. I've been all over the U.S. in the last 10-15 years (I've spent time in places in 45 out of our 50 states) and I am hard-pressed to think of many, truly homogeneous, cultural aspects that are the same everywehere I have been (except maybe for fast foot retaurants). The cultural aspects of different cities or regions in the U.S. are as varied as those between different countries in Europe.

True to some extent - you can go to, for example, many European countries and not have to know the native language because many people in those countries also speak English (and a fair number of them proficiently speak more than two languages).
It's a melting pot along with the English language. Some however are trying to turn it into a salad bowl where their group's culture and language stands out rather than "melting". In addition they want their culture and language to be our identifying one. In other words transforming it. It is a conscious effort on their part.

Old 10-09-2014, 08:26 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,912,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Born and raised in the US and don't speak English. You're flat-out lying.
Uh try again, please. Some kids of starting school DON'T speak English and not just anchor kids either.

Old 10-09-2014, 08:29 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Born and raised in the US and don't speak English. You're flat-out lying.
Nope. Multi generational household. For the first 4 years they have only heard Spanish in their home.
That is their custom. They even consider themselves Mexicans, not Americans.
Only 6 hours from the border. They go "home" all the time.
Most are here for economic reasons. They didn't come here to be Americans, they came here to work and raise their kids.
They don't care about becoming citizens and voting. They just want to be left alone.

Old 10-09-2014, 08:45 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,713,235 times
Quote:
It's a Latin American language, geez. It is only a minority language in the U.S.

Ah, Americans and their lousy grasp of history and geography.

"Spanish, also called Castilian, is a Romance language that originated in the Castile region of Spain.
Spanish is a part of the Ibero-Romance group of languages, which evolved from several dialects of common Latin in Iberia after the collapse of the Western Roman Empire in the fifth century."

Spanish language - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Spain, officially the Kingdom of Spain is a sovereign state located on the Iberian Peninsula in southwestern Europe."

Spain - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-09-2014, 09:29 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,679,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Stop it please. The SAME things can be said about Mexico with the Hispanics coming 500 years ago in and slamming the Aztecs and other tribes to the ground. Maybe we should've taken ALL of Mexico in 1848 instead of half.
First off, the "we" that you are constantly referring to doesn't include you, get it? Thinking that you and your buddies are the "we" that constitutes the United States government and all of it's dealings with the various peoples it conquered in order to expand it's domain is just nonsense. You have a misplaced sense of yourself and your patriotism.

This was your stance on earlier posts you have made in reference to American native culture and the fact that they also had their enemies, of course the human aspect can't be reduced in any of this. Your understanding of earlier times vs the fact that America should learn from it's past is lost on you. So you can argue forever but you'll never, ever, learn.....

Relax and get used to the idea that you don't have the final say on things. It could be worse, you could be one of those of the vanquished that now live on the res, or in any one of the ghettos where Spanish is the first language. The truth of your position in all of this is that you don't speak spanish and most probably can't/won't learn any, and, we all know there is no compelling law stating that you have to speak any language other than english, so what's the big problem you seem to be suffering so badly from?

Old 10-09-2014, 09:39 AM

3,955 posts, read 7,201,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Most are here for economic reasons. They didn't come here to be Americans, they came here to work and raise their kids.
They don't care about becoming citizens and voting. They just want to be left alone.
So they are just here to use our country like a ATM machine I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies