Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2014, 04:46 PM

62,874 posts, read 29,110,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Is there some particular boundary where "Latin America" ends and North America begins?

Of course it is a North American language. Just like French is a North American language as is Pennsylvania Dutch and Creole and many others.

Leaving aside the fact that the first Europeans to settle in what is now the U.S. were Spanish speakers and that there are dialects of Spanish that are unique to North America, where exactly do you think that Mexico and Puerto Rico are located?

Hint, it isn't South America.
Do you own a geography books? If not buy one. Central and South American are considered to be Latin American countries not North America.

Who cares about the past? Or what language was spoken back then? We adopted English as our national de facto language not Spanish. Here's another clue for you. There are 50 million Hispanics in this country both legally and illegally and there are 320 million people in this country total, total. How many non-Hispanics does that make? Do the math.

Old 10-09-2014, 04:47 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,319,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Wrong! Those of us who oppose illegal immigration want them all out of this country regardless of their ethnicity or national origin. It is just that there is no comparison to the number of Chinese here illegally vs Mexicans and other Latinos. Therefore that group gets the most attention. It is their legal counterparts that are demanding amnesty for their illegal amigos and think they should be above our immigration laws all the while calling us racists if we want our immigration laws enforced...... not the Chinese.

Are we starting to hear a lot of Mandarin being spoken here because of illegal immigration? Um no, it's Spanish. Because of the huge number of Spanish speaking illegals here and other non-assimilating ones of their group that's the reason that businesses are pandering in Spanish. Now we have to know Spanish to get a job in our own country. Sorry, but this is an English speaking country.

And finally there is no hypocricy on our part. Again, we want "all" illegals out of our country.

It's just BS that those of us who oppose illegal immigration do so because we just don't like Hispanics! I like them fine as long as they assimilate and respect our immigration laws.
Oh, please. Even if you heard LEGAL Mexican immigrants speaking Spanish, you'd be complaining.
After all, it's "just babbling and too loudly", right?

Old 10-09-2014, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
Officially bilingual? I don't think all of those countries are (in fact, I know France, Russia, Spain, and the UK are NOT officially bilingual). The only country that has two official languages is Canada (French and English) and 'til this day there is still division in that country between the French (Quebecois) and the rest of English-speaking Canada.

It is not a fact of having someone speak another language when/where they want (no one cares about that). The issue is for official, public business - language is one of the several factors that bind a society, and having multiple languages treated equally in the nation destroys the binding fabric and negates the 'melting pot' notion of the US.
A voice of reason among the clueless. Thanks.

Old 10-09-2014, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
That is kind of a vauge term and not really a definition of a cultural aspect of "American culture".

Our culture in this country has been "transforming" since day 1. Over the course of our history, the practices of certain groups of people have had periods where they were more dominant than others.

And, like many in foreign countries who learned English as a second (or third, or fourth) language, they will probably speak it better than a large number of Americans.
The melting pot is immigrants adding flavor to the stew without changing the basics of it. Please don't pretend you don't know that. No, our mainstream culture has not been transformed.....at least not yet.

There are no indications though that they will choose English as their primary language of usage and some won't learn it at all as Hispanics become larger in numbers they will feel no need to. It's happening now.

Last edited by Oldglory; 10-09-2014 at 05:30 PM..

Old 10-09-2014, 05:16 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,673,065 times
Quote:
I see, so any opinion that you don't agree with is a whine but your opinion isn't? I don't like the language change in this country due to unassimilation and illegal immigration. Our demographics shouldn't change due to massive illegal immigration either. It is neither a natural or lawful change. I would say it is justified to object. What country in the world would want their national language or identifying culture changed or diluted in that manner? NONE!

I am a patriotic American and I am not masquerading as one but you demonize it as wrapping myself in our flag? My goals aren't selfish they are in the best interests of this country and its citizens. Piece of advice one more personal attack directed towards me and you will be reported. Adults debate with civility not childish insults and personal attacks even if they don't agree on the issues.
A true patriot is someone who accepts the differences in his nation and all that it implies, you have been posting for a long time on these issues, to what end I have no idea, but here's a quote from one of your earlier posts that may give us all a clue.....

"I never thought I would say this in a million years but we are so divided in idealogy and politically in this country now we may as well split up. Progressives can have their own country and conservatives can have theirs. Peace for all".

I personally don't fear for my country's heritage to the extent that you seem to, change is the one thing you can count on, so change it will be, including the language, the demographics, and the world of work and play. For the record all manner of languages are spoken throughout the world, so report away and be tickled that you have what you have.....

Old 10-09-2014, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
A true patriot is someone who accepts the differences in his nation and all that it implies, you have been posting for a long time on these issues, to what end I have no idea, but here's a quote from one of your earlier posts that may give us all a clue.....

"I never thought I would say this in a million years but we are so divided in idealogy and politically in this country now we may as well split up. Progressives can have their own country and conservatives can have theirs. Peace for all".

I personally don't fear for my country's heritage to the extent that you seem to, change is the one thing you can count on, so change it will be, including the language, the demographics, and the world of work and play. For the record all manner of languages are spoken throughout the world, so report away and be tickled that you have what you have.....

Where did I say that I didn't accept cultural differences? All I am saying is assimilate to the main one and our language. When did this stop being an expectation for immigrants? Oh yeah, I forgot about the new progressive mindset where it is more desirable to be a part of separate groups instead. I don't care what culture one chooses to practice at home though.

How does my prior remark negate my above one? We "are" divided in idealogy and particulary in politics. If we are going to fight over politics over and over along with insults we are not united but divided instead.

I oppose unnatural and unlawful change. You don't?

Old 10-09-2014, 05:51 PM

2,294 posts, read 3,427,677 times
And yet the coders at the "All new" Obamacare website can't get the language right

Obama administration uncovers new Healthcare.gov full of typos | Daily Mail Online

Old 10-09-2014, 05:52 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,319,224 times
Quote:
Where did I say that I didn't accept cultural differences? All I am saying is assimilate to the main one and our language. When did this stop being an expectation for immigrants? Oh yeah, I forgot about the new progressive mindset where it is more desirable to be a part of separate groups instead. I don't care what culture one chooses to practice at home though.

How does my prior remark negate my above one? We "are" divided in idealogy and particulary in politics. If we are going to fight over politics over and over along with insults we are not united but divided instead.

I oppose unnatural and unlawful change. You don't?
All immigrants, or just the illegal ones you were howling about previously? You don't even want the legal ones speaking Spanish amongst themselves. It's just noisy babbling, right? And it makes you mad.

Old 10-09-2014, 05:55 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,540,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gretsky99 View Post
This is what happens when you have open borders. The disingration of a nation as european nations are finding out as well!

http://rt.com/usa/193944-california-...ebate-spanish/

Record 61.8 million residents in U.S. speak langauge other than English at home.

One in five in the U.S. don't speak English at home, immigration report says - Washington Times
Hmm, I don't recall the borders closing when Reagan, Bush sr, and Bush jr were in charge! But it must be all the left's fault.

Old 10-09-2014, 05:58 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,258,614 times
Quote:
The melting pot is immigrants adding flavor to the stew without changing the basics of it. Please don't pretend you don't know that. No, our mainstream culture has not been transformed.....at least not yet.

There are no indications though that they will choose English as their primary language of usage and some won't learn it at all as Hispanics become larger in numbers they will feel no need to. It's happening now.
I actually know a number of Hispanics and they all speak English. In order to find non English speakers you really have to go to the very poor areas of town. You keep claiming that Hispanics aren't learning English, but you never back this statement up. Occasionally, HappyTexan will chime in about what she sees in schools, but I have been to TX (inc S. TX and Mexico) and found that most Hispanics did speak English. To be fair, the maids in Brownsville did not speak English very well, but the help doesn't usually interact with the guests anyway.

English Usage Among Hispanics in the United States | Pew Research Center's Hispanic Trends Project

Defining generations
First: Those born outside the United States; includes those born in Puerto Rico.
Second: Born in the United States, with at least one first-generation parent.
Third and higher: Born in the United States, with both parents born in the United States.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies