Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2014, 10:54 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,840,758 times

Advertisements

most countries around the world are bilingual and have areas where different languages are spoken

(france, netherlands, russia, sweden, UK, spain, switzerland, belgium, canada, colombia, argentina, brazil, china, india, south africa shoot even mexico!!!)

I Hhave yet to understand why some Americans whine and complain SO MUCH about spanish!

I mean is it really that horrible if some people from your country speak another language other than the language YOU particularly speak??????

LEARN A SECOND DAMN LANGUAGE!!! MOST PEOPLE AROUND THE WORLD SPEAK TWO OR THREE, so thatyou can at least open your narrow mind!

Old 10-09-2014, 11:02 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,361,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
It's always location, location, location.

Texas isn't exactly getting lawyers and accountants and doctors crossing the Rio Grande.

I've lived in Florida (Miami and Miami Beach) and worked in banking. But it was back office where Spanish was not required.

I've lived among majority Puerto Ricans, Cubans and Mexicans.
I would choose to live among Cubans for a number of reasons.
During the years I lived in south Florida I never felt alienated by them.

And this is my own personal opinion and viewpoint.
That's really funny that you've never felt alienated in South Florida, because a lot of Anglos (or non-Hispanics) complain about the Cubans (who have clout both politically and economically) really pushing Spanish and complaining if you don't speak it, you ain't _____.

Old 10-09-2014, 11:04 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,840,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gretsky99 View Post
This is what happens when you have open borders. The disingration of a nation as european nations are finding out as well!

California, New Mexico hold major political debates in Spanish ? RT USA

Record 61.8 million residents in U.S. speak langauge other than English at home.

One in five in the U.S. don't speak English at home, immigration report says - Washington Times
hmmm since when has the US been composed of exclusively natives and then mexicans came in as a foreign element?

YOU ARE OBVIOUSLY VERY IGNORANT OF YOUR OWN COUNTRY'S HISTORY!!! THERE HAS NEVER BEEN A TIME IN AMERICA'S HSTORY WHERE IMMIGRATION HASNT PLAYED A HUGE ROLE!

Old 10-09-2014, 11:11 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
That's really funny that you've never felt alienated in South Florida, because a lot of Anglos (or non-Hispanics) complain about the Cubans (who have clout both politically and economically) really pushing Spanish and complaining if you don't speak it, you ain't _____.
Send those Anglos to Texas and then maybe they will appreciate the Cubans a bit more.

I use to look forward and attend "Calle Ocho" every year.
And I did know a bit of Spanish and I attempted to use it (with apologies for being so bad at it).

Now you have me thinking of a Cuban sandwich for lunch

Old 10-09-2014, 11:18 AM

3,478 posts, read 7,257,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
most countries around the world are bilingual and have areas where different languages are spoken

(france, netherlands, russia, sweden, UK, spain, switzerland, belgium, canada, colombia, argentina, brazil, china, india, south africa shoot even mexico!!!)
Officially bilingual? I don't think all of those countries are (in fact, I know France, Russia, Spain, and the UK are NOT officially bilingual). The only country that has two official languages is Canada (French and English) and 'til this day there is still division in that country between the French (Quebecois) and the rest of English-speaking Canada.

It is not a fact of having someone speak another language when/where they want (no one cares about that). The issue is for official, public business - language is one of the several factors that bind a society, and having multiple languages treated equally in the nation destroys the binding fabric and negates the 'melting pot' notion of the US.

Old 10-09-2014, 11:23 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
Officially bilingual? I don't think all of those countries are (in fact, I know France, Russia, Spain, and the UK are NOT officially bilingual). The only country that has two official languages is Canada (French and English) and 'til this day there is still division in that country between the French (Quebecois) and the rest of English-speaking Canada.

It is not a fact of having someone speak another language when/where they want (no one cares about that). The issue is for official, public business - language is one of the several factors that bind a society, and having multiple languages treated equally in the nation destroys the binding fabric and negates the 'melting pot' notion of the US.
The majority seem quite happy to let Spanish take over.
I say let it take over. Other countries will step in and take our place in global business.

China starts teaching English in third grade.
Countries are paying good money to get American English teachers over there to teach the language.

Let America become another Central or South American country.

Old 10-09-2014, 11:30 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,705,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
It's a melting pot
That is kind of a vauge term and not really a definition of a cultural aspect of "American culture".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Some however are trying to turn it into a salad bowl where their group's culture and language stands out rather than "melting". In addition they want their culture and language to be our identifying one. In other words transforming it. It is a conscious effort on their part.
Our culture in this country has been "transforming" since day 1. Over the course of our history, the practices of certain groups of people have had periods where they were more dominant than others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
Pretty soon China will have more people who speak English than the USA.
And, like many in foreign countries who learned English as a second (or third, or fourth) language, they will probably speak it better than a large number of Americans.

Old 10-09-2014, 11:31 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,361,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The majority seem quite happy to let Spanish take over.
I say let it take over. Other countries will step in and take our place in global business.

China starts teaching English in third grade.
Countries are paying good money to get American English teachers over there to teach the language.

Let America become another Central or South American country.
Actually, you got it exactly backwards. the US will be stronger in global business if we develop and encourage our people to be more linguistically diverse and more culturally aware. English isn't going away. You seem to be under the myopic and inaccurate perception that people with one facility in a language has to necessarily be bad in another.

So that companies like General Motors don't make mistakes like selling a car in Latin America called the Nova (which in Spanish, sounds like 'no va' - "won't go.") They corrected that by renaming it Caribe.

Old 10-09-2014, 11:35 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,909,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
hmmm since when has the US been composed of exclusively natives and then mexicans came in as a foreign element?

YOU ARE OBVIOUSLY VERY IGNORANT OF YOUR OWN COUNTRY'S HISTORY!!! THERE HAS NEVER BEEN A TIME IN AMERICA'S HSTORY WHERE IMMIGRATION HASNT PLAYED A HUGE ROLE!
Mexicans and other aliens ARE a "foreign element" in the US in 2014. Americans and other countrys' citizens are def a foreign element in Mexico too. Sheesh!

Old 10-09-2014, 11:38 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,705,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
The only country that has two official languages is Canada
Offhand, I know that Finland, The Netherlands and New Zealand all have two official languages.

India and Switzerland both have more than two official languages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies