Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 10:10 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,555,268 times

Advertisements

When you open a business, it is YOUR responsibility as the business owner to know and understand the laws of the city you conduct business in. In Lexington, there is an ordinance which prohibits businesses from discriminating against sexual orientation. This business owner should have known that. Had this business been in operation in Bloomsburg, PA -- where the bridal shop was that said, "NO" to a lesbian couple, this t-shirt shop would NOT have been in violation of anything. The only thing the t-shirt shop could have faced would have been social recourse. In this case, Lexington DOES have a law that includes sexual orientation, so I don't know why anyone is complaining. If you don't like the law, work to change it so a business can discriminate against people wearing the color green or whatever other stupid bias people come up with.

The Human Rights Commission found in 2012 that Hands On Originals violated the city's fairness ordinance, which prohibits businesses open to the public from discriminating against people based on sexual orientation.

Read more here: Hands On Originals discriminated against gay organization, hearing officer rules | Business | Kentucky.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2014, 10:15 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,743,613 times
Just proof positive that there really is no private property or business in the shadow of this GODvernment. If you cannot control who comes on your property or whom you do business with, it is the government's, not the person's.

Old 10-08-2014, 10:26 AM

5,913 posts, read 3,186,735 times
Well, this business learned about the local ordinances the hard way. You can't discriminate against some people. Sexual orientation and gender identity are protected from being discriminated. Period. They should have done their due diligence. That's on them and now they are paying.

Old 10-08-2014, 10:29 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,090,317 times
I've asked this before and because of the ruling described in the linked article will ask it again: What is the purpose of and what will be gained (or hoped for) by forcing people to attend diversity training? At best, it's a feeble attempt at brainwashing into people an ideology they are not inclined to agree with in the first place.

Old 10-08-2014, 10:44 AM

20,462 posts, read 12,387,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngabe View Post
When you open a business, it is YOUR responsibility as the business owner to know and understand the laws of the city you conduct business in. In Lexington, there is an ordinance which prohibits businesses from discriminating against sexual orientation. This business owner should have known that. Had this business been in operation in Bloomsburg, PA -- where the bridal shop was that said, "NO" to a lesbian couple, this t-shirt shop would NOT have been in violation of anything. The only thing the t-shirt shop could have faced would have been social recourse. In this case, Lexington DOES have a law that includes sexual orientation, so I don't know why anyone is complaining. If you don't like the law, work to change it so a business can discriminate against people wearing the color green or whatever other stupid bias people come up with.

The Human Rights Commission found in 2012 that Hands On Originals violated the city's fairness ordinance, which prohibits businesses open to the public from discriminating against people based on sexual orientation.

Read more here: Hands On Originals discriminated against gay organization, hearing officer rules | Business | Kentucky.com
because there is no such thing as a local ordinance that and rob an individual of their First Amendment Right.

Old 10-08-2014, 11:02 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,572,254 times
Quote:
The ruling also means that Hands On may not discriminate in the future, Sexton said, and that in the next year, its employees will have to undergo diversity training.
i'd be looking for another job.

Old 10-08-2014, 11:05 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,572,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngabe View Post

what if the shop was more than happy to make shirts for them provided they weren't about gay pride?

I wonder how that would pan out.

Old 10-08-2014, 11:07 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,090,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
i'd be looking for another job.
The ruling affects the company, not individual employees. I've simply declined when such "training" was offered where I worked. Or take a sick day.

Old 10-08-2014, 11:08 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,743,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
what if the shop was more than happy to make shirts for them provided they weren't about gay pride?

I wonder how that would pan out.
It doesn't really matter, at least from the government's standpoint. It believes it has the authority to control "private" business and property. Business and property "owners" are "legally" employees and property of the State.

Old 10-08-2014, 11:37 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
I've asked this before and because of the ruling described in the linked article will ask it again: What is the purpose of and what will be gained (or hoped for) by forcing people to attend diversity training? At best, it's a feeble attempt at brainwashing into people an ideology they are not inclined to agree with in the first place.
It's a feel good act. I went to diversity training every year for near 10 years at my company.
Yeah..classic propaganda brainwashing.

It became a joke after a while when someone made some "flowery comments" and we would chime in.."off to diversity class for you"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies