Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2014, 12:36 PM

671 posts, read 890,977 times

Advertisements

Local HD and Lowes were out of masks this afternoon. I didn't need any disposable gloves so I didn't bother to look.
And no they weren't for Ebola protection use,we use them for work....thing is apparently people are taking this more seriously...The hardware guy said people were panic buying them....that's his words.
Trust in the government wrapping this Ebola thing up is on the wane..I am glad we live in a rural area.

buy bleach..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2014, 12:37 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,471,473 times
Wow!!!

Obama Cancels Campaign Trip for Ebola Meeting - NBC News

This must be serious then.

Old 10-15-2014, 12:37 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,547,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
So let me see if I'm up to speed. For the past few weeks we were told that West Africans from affected countries pose no risk to Americans. A simple questionnaire would prevent a sick Ebola patient from traveling to America. Yet one Liberian who didn't appear to be sick, lied on the questionnaire and traveled to Dallas. He falls ill, goes to the ER but is sent packing with some antibiotics. He returns two days later and it's only then that doctors put the pieces together that he has Ebola.

The CDC director says that America will contain the spread of Ebola. We have protocols in place that will see to that. A quarantine of family members is ordered. When asked whether a travel ban should be issued to prevent flights from the affected region in Africa, he curtly answers it's not necessary. We must stop the disease over there that's the only way Americans would be safe. Besides you can't get Ebola on a plane or through casual contact.

Fast forward two weeks later. The Liberian patient is dead and two nurses that treated him have contracted Ebola, one of whom appears to be very ill. One nurse flew to Ohio and back while showing no symptoms. Now the CDC is scrambling to locate fellow passengers and its director sheepishly admits she shouldn't have flown. Why not? I thought the disease couldn't be spread in planes or casual contact, so why the alarm? Americans can't fly within the country but West Africans can fly in from affected regions, what am I missing? I know I don't have a degree in diseases but something is amiss here.
Sounds fishy doesn't it? If Obola wanted to spread this lethal virus in America, these are the things he would do to achieve that.

Old 10-15-2014, 12:38 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,894,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
To start with, I'd require all health care workers, reporters, whoever that wants to go to Africa and return to the US to fly private charter flights. They don't fly on commercial flights, period. And quarantine them for the 21 days or whatever is thought to be adequate before returning to their home base.

And that can happen before the clowns figure out they should ban all people with passports from ebola countries with large outbreaks.
Africa is a big continent. Only a fraction of the continent is affected by Ebola.

Old 10-15-2014, 12:39 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,034,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
The nurses union said they have requested this, but all the CDC will do is encourage nurses to look at the CDC website.

So while Obama is assuring us not to worry, the government has this completely under control, all they are actually doing is putting some info on a website. That's why the nurses are so upset.
That's exactly what the nurse's union chief said this morning on CNN. Nurses were encouraged by the CDC to look at the CDC website...geesh! That is totally unacceptable.

Old 10-15-2014, 12:40 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,471,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Africa is a big continent. Only a fraction of the continent is affected by Ebola.
I wasn't specific enough.....the African countries with major ebola outbreaks of which I believe there are 4.

Old 10-15-2014, 12:41 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
We aren't stupid, a passport issued by Liberia would clearly show that the person was from Liberia, and the passport would be stamped with date and time of the departure from the originating country. If the passport shows a recent departure from an infected country, we halt the entire flight right there, and not even let the other people on the plane disembark.

Once we send a few planes back to whatever country they came from, you can be damned straight they will start checking who boards them.
Maybe take care of business with the outbound commercial flights in Monrovia to Casablanca and Brussels. Anyone with the intent of traveling to the US via connecting flights, regardless of nationality is denied boarding. Sucks to be you, eh.

If US citizens get sick in the hot zone, the US will no longer allow your private charter to transport you back to the US. Sucks to be you, eh.

If one's final destination is Europe, Asia, Northern Africa or Australia, you are good to go, provided you don't have a fever or other symptoms. Some percentage of these people will likely eventually develop symptoms and potentially infect others. Some of these newly infected people will travel to North America within the 21 day period.

Old 10-15-2014, 12:42 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,712,723 times
Quote:
Yup and you can bet National Containment Procedures including travel restriction/bans are being discussed.

A microscopic Virus is getting ready to define his legacy for the rest of History.

Old 10-15-2014, 12:46 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,547,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Yup and you can bet National Containment Procedures including travel restriction/bans are being discussed.
In a couple weeks they'll want to cancel elections.

Old 10-15-2014, 12:47 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,894,256 times
Quote:
I wasn't specific enough.....the African countries with major ebola outbreaks of which I believe there are 4.
Thank you.

Those countries are sovereign nations. I don't believe that the United States has any authority over them or their citizens' travel. While we can revoke existing visas and stop issuing visas, it's important to note that millions of people live in these countries, with legitimate reasons to travel. While thousands have been infected with the virus, that represents less than 1% of the populations of these countries. We are fighting to control the spread of Ebola, but we need to do so thoughtfully. Any policies that are rooted in fear are probably not good policies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies