Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2014, 02:12 PM

39,076 posts, read 51,246,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Guess no one in Dallas would think to drive 4 hours to Houston?
Everyone leaving must have a temp taken at least. Blockades and checkpoints can stop over land travel. If the thing continues to spiral out of control then Dallas should be nuked just as others have called for Africa to be nuked. (It does sound a little extreme when they are talking about US, doesn't it?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2014, 02:13 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,170,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
I wasn't specific enough.....the African countries with major ebola outbreaks of which I believe there are 4.
Usually it starts with one or two cases.. it has grown to more than 8 thousand , and half have died.

We had one man come here from West Africa infected.. we now have two nurses infected . We may have more cases, hopefully we have none. But if we continue to let in people from West Africa, they will lie about their contacts with Ebola and can infect more in the future. It happened once , and the probability it will happen again .

Old 10-15-2014, 02:15 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
The fact that this health care worker had contact with Mr. Duncan and then was allowed to fly is unfathomable. We must face the reality that our agencies to do not know what they are doing.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/16/us...T.nav=top-news
Sounds like this healthcare professional broke protocol and traveled.

Should the protocol evolve to require forced physical isolation of any and all healthcare contacts? How many healthcare workers will be willing to be locked up during and after the last contact?

Old 10-15-2014, 02:20 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,170,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Sounds like this healthcare professional broke protocol and traveled.

Should the protocol evolve to require forced physical isolation of any and all healthcare contacts? How many healthcare workers will be willing to be locked up during and after the last contact?
what is the difference with someone as this nurse being near an ebola patient and restricted to fly , than those in the effected areas that can fly around the world? This is outrageous!

Old 10-15-2014, 02:21 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,880,172 times
Houston conference canceled as organizers cite Ebola-related concerns

On Thursday OSHAssociation was notified that Nigerian delegates were denied visas to attend the conference. None of the 209 delegates who applied had been issued a visa.

Houston conference canceled as organizers cite Ebola-related concerns - Houston Chronicle

Would they have gone ahead and had this conference if the visas had been granted?

Maybe....just maybe....somebody is finally beginning to sort of take notice that we might need to do something. There should not be a "delay." They should not be issuing visas from these countries to start with at this time.

Old 10-15-2014, 02:26 PM

39,076 posts, read 51,246,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Houston conference canceled as organizers cite Ebola-related concerns

On Thursday OSHAssociation was notified that Nigerian delegates were denied visas to attend the conference. None of the 209 delegates who applied had been issued a visa.

Houston conference canceled as organizers cite Ebola-related concerns - Houston Chronicle

Would they have gone ahead and had this conference if the visas had been granted?

Maybe....just maybe....somebody is finally beginning to sort of take notice that we might need to do something. There should not be a "delay." They should not be issuing visas from these countries to start with at this time.
Odd. Visas denied to go to a state (Texas) where Ebola is out of control from a country where its authorities have contained it. Maybe Nigeria denied the travel.

Old 10-15-2014, 02:27 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,977,255 times
Thought I'd put this interesting interview in this forum rather than Current Events.

Ebola - Myths and Reality

Old 10-15-2014, 02:27 PM

5,342 posts, read 4,430,925 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qj4X0MsQjM
Frequently Asked Questions
Do NOT reply to moderator posts that are in RED.

Old 10-15-2014, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Yikes, indeed.

It reminds me, of course, of Stephen King's The Stand, wherein a lab worker, knowing that all in the laboratory are about to die due to the release of the deadly disease, immediately runs out of the building to save his own skin, thus killing millions, etc.

Here, a woman spends days treating a man with Ebola. He dies. She thinks "Well, I have been working around Ebola. Guess I'll relax by getting on a plane on flying to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland!"

A few years ago I developed some stomach virus. My doctor told me to cancel my trip to Switerland (scheduled for the next day but one) saying I would be infectious for a few days. I did, since I didn't want to infect other people. Lost a lot of money. Guess I should have gone.

Such is life.
The norovirus is a memorable inconvenience for most people who acquire it. Cruise lines require all boarding passengers to complete a questionnaire before boarding and they will deny boarding to anyone who self discloses recent experiences or demonstrates norovirus like symptoms. Despite this, people deny or lie and board the cruise ship.

Any passenger who displays norovirus symptoms on board is quarantined to their cabin as are their cabin mates. The cabin mates who have not yet developed symptoms routinely ignore the quarantine and sometimes the virus infects hundreds onboard. Hey, it's their vacation and they intend to enjoy it and the heck with the next guy.

The media focuses on the number of sick, not the 2000 who did not become sick, while on the same cruise.

There are a few carriers who write cancel for any reason travel policies. They are costly and tend to pay out 80-90 % of the costs that cannot be recovered. Most people self insure and, like you, take their lumps, when/if necessary.

Old 10-15-2014, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
I think have a typo - 9/13/01
I think you are correct. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies