Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2014, 02:34 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,880,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Odd. Visas denied to go to a state (Texas) where Ebola is out of control from a country where its authorities have contained it. Maybe Nigeria denied the travel.
NO PANIC - Houston Conference Canceled After West African Travelers Denied Visas

From this article:

Smith believes that U.S. officials denied the visas due to the Ebola scare in West Africa. “Nigeria is one of the countries in West Africa that reported Ebola virus death,” said Smith.

If Ebola is "out of control" in Texas, guess why? The US allowed Duncan to travel to the US in the first place, so....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2014, 02:34 PM

1,632 posts, read 1,850,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludja View Post
I love Shep but I could have told him that.

Old 10-15-2014, 02:54 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,170,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludja View Post
The CDC director said they were ready to stop Ebola in its tracks.. the nurses said they were not ready. The CDC did not listen. They lied to us that this country was ready to handle Ebola infected people.. we had the total of one man from West Africa that was infected. The two nurses are now infected. They are lying saying they can contain this virus. This country is not ready.

Old 10-15-2014, 02:55 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Those who have progressed to the point of being contagious would be too sick to travel.

Those who came in contact with Duncan during his journey between Monrovia and Dallas on 9/19-20 have not become sick.

Those who shared an apartment with Duncan, beginning on 9/20, 25 days ago, have not, thus far become sick.

I think the apartment occupants are into Day 17 following Duncan's admission to the hospital.
But that is not what the CDC told us.

Old 10-15-2014, 02:58 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
I have not verified this independently, but one of the talk hosts I listen to, and who has been doing good work on the ebola situation, said that there only four hospitals in the United States qualified to deal with ebola. One is in Nebraska, and one is in Atlanta and is a CDC hospital, if I recall correctly.
There are four US hospitals with a BSL- 4 rating. None had treated a patient with Ebola prior to the first patient being admitted on 8/2. Independent of the situation in Dallas, only 5 patients diagnosed with Ebola have been treated since 8/2. One is ongoing.

Two of the four have yet to treat a patient diagnosed with Ebola.

These hospitals have, thus far, had the luxury of advance notice of an incoming previously diagnosed in Africa, patient.

I have no idea how much the US government invested in these hospitals to achieve a common goal of a BSL-4 rating. I cannot imagine that Congress would have been open to increased funding for more BSL-4 hospitals prior to the events of this past month, given Ebola has historically been a relatively remote infection that quickly died out.

The private sector is not going to make the kind of investment necessary to create additional BSL-4 hospitals without substantial financial assists from the federal government.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
First, you wanted to stop all flights out of Africa.

When it was pointed out that Africa is a BIG continent, you amended, you wanted to block flights just from Ebola-affected countries.

Now you are talking about just stopping them from entering the United States, not from flying anywhere else.

And you are ignoring the fact that the VAST, OVERWHELMING majority of people in those countries are not infected with Ebola. Banning them because of where they are from, rather than because they pose a health risk, is not thoughtful. It is not logical.

And evidently you missed the part in civics where the United States founding fathers, being wary of mob rule, set up our government restricting the democracy aspect, as the will/majority of the people is often uninformed and irrational.
The US State Dept can just cancel all Visas and put all applications for Visas on hold.

5,696 posts, read 6,209,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
She was in Akron visiting family. I also saw something about her having family members working at Kent State. Like you I live in Northeast Ohio, and this is way too close for comfort.

she flew in and out of Atlanta where I live
why would she do this??? she should have known better

Old 10-15-2014, 02:59 PM

27,149 posts, read 15,327,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
She was in Akron visiting family. I also saw something about her having family members working at Kent State. Like you I live in Northeast Ohio, and this is way too close for comfort.

A few weeks ago this was thousands of miles away.

I work a few miles from Texas Presbyterian Hospital in Dallas.
Yesterday my boss showed concern with me possibly giving him the flu if I did not get a flu shot.

Today I find out he has three Doctors he sees fairly regularly at....you guessed it Texas Presbyterian of Dallas.
I think I should be more concerned about what he could pass on to me.

Old 10-15-2014, 03:00 PM

5,696 posts, read 6,209,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
There are four US hospitals with a BSL- 4 rating. None had treated a patient with Ebola prior to the first patient being admitted on 8/2. Independent of the situation in Dallas, only 5 patients diagnosed with Ebola have been treated since 8/2. One is ongoing.

Two of the four have yet to treat a patient diagnosed with Ebola.

These hospitals have, thus far, had the luxury of advance notice of an incoming previously diagnosed in Africa, patient.

I have no idea how much the US government invested in these hospitals to achieve a common goal of a BSL-4 rating. I cannot imagine that Congress would have been open to increased funding for more BSL-4 hospitals prior to the events of this past month, given Ebola has historically been a relatively remote infection that quickly died out.

The private sector is not going to make the kind of investment necessary to create additional BSL-4 hospitals without substantial financial assists from the federal government.

4 hospitals with combined 11 beds!!

Old 10-15-2014, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia dem View Post
she flew in and out of Atlanta where I live
why would she do this??? she should have known better
Duncan's family should have known better but they went out.
That Dr. newswoman should have not better but she went out.

People seem to think "Oh it doesn't apply to me".

How many others have not stay in self quarantine for 21 days ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies