Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2014, 12:49 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,685,041 times

Advertisements

NOW just managing 100 people have ebola in a country like the United states with planes, buses, taxis, trains, subways think its containable. Do we think letting in more west Africans is a "GOOD IDEA" ... Still trust your government to handle things?

These are the people we so desperately want to handle our healthcare system.

Enjoy

Let me know when Obama gets his head out of ass, the congress and the homeland security department intended on actually closing a few flights here and close the Mexican border. What is the matter did they think it wouldnt come here just because EBOLA was going to be nice. Did they really think the stock market was going to stay at 17k just to give themselves the illusion the economy is GREAT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2014, 12:58 PM

28,901 posts, read 30,284,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
NOW just managing 100 people have ebola in a country like the United states with planes, buses, taxis, trains, subways think its containable. Do we think letting in more west Africans is a "GOOD IDEA" ... Still trust your government to handle things?

These are the people we so desperately want to handle our healthcare system.

Enjoy

Let me know when Obama gets his head out of ass, the congress and the homeland security department intended on actually closing a few flights here and close the Mexican border. What is the matter did they think it wouldnt come here just because EBOLA was going to be nice. Did they really think the stock market was going to stay at 17k just to give themselves the illusion the economy is GREAT.
a gal at work said the very identical same thing you just did.....

Old 10-15-2014, 12:58 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,712,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
In a couple weeks they'll want to cancel elections.
Ebola, Obama's October surprise? We all know Democrats are desperate for one givin the current polling numbers.

Old 10-15-2014, 01:12 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,471,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Thank you.

Those countries are sovereign nations. I don't believe that the United States has any authority over them or their citizens' travel. While we can revoke existing visas and stop issuing visas, it's important to note that millions of people live in these countries, with legitimate reasons to travel. While thousands have been infected with the virus, that represents less than 1% of the populations of these countries. We are fighting to control the spread of Ebola, but we need to do so thoughtfully. Any policies that are rooted in fear are probably not good policies.
"Thoughtfully"?. Isn't "thoughtful" having leaders concerned about protecting their own citizens, who in theory they represent, and not worrying about hurting the precious feelings of other countries? We are talking about something that can effect a countries well-being, economic status, etc etc on and on and on. And we already have an example of someone who flew in from an infected country and look at all the impact that has caused and cost our country in several areas? Given this fact, I am sure there are many justifications that this could be stamped/approved in an hour with no issues. If other countries want to complain about it, I say tough luck. Again, our leaders, in theory, exist to protect those in the nation they are elected to represent in the priority queue, not to worry about what other nations think about them.

I'm guessing if you were related somehow to the nurses who caught ebola from duncan, you might not be thinking in terms of a textbook/politically correct response. 1% or "a few" is to many in my book, especially if it's a loved one of yours.

Old 10-15-2014, 01:13 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,213,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
Hopefully the man does not come on TV and lecture us on how we should not be concerned.

He's shot his credibility at this point and should just ****.

Old 10-15-2014, 01:22 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
That would seem like a very good idea based on the Texas experience. The nurses report yesterday said that they sent Duncan's blood samples down the same tubes that transmit every other patient's labs potentially contaminating the entire hospital. What CDC is trying to do is convince us that our local health care providers are prepared to deal with Ebola and contain it. What the Dallas experience says is completely the opposite.
There are 5700 +/- hospitals in the US. Prior to 8/2, no US hospital had any first hand experience with treating Ebola. Of the 5700 hospitals four are BSL-4 level. Two of the four have yet to treat an Ebola patient.

There have been a total of 5 US people diagnosed in Africa that were subsequently flown to the US for treatment. The BLS- level 4 hospitals had the luxury of time to prepare and their protocols evolved as they made mistakes and encountered challenges.

Duncan was diagnosed in Dallas, not a BLS-4 level hospital, and thus far 2 of his healthcare providers have tested positive for Ebola. We don't know if Duncan was too sick to be transferred to a BLS- level 4 hospital. It does seem that , at the time, the Dallas hospital believed they were capable of treating Duncan. We don't know the extent of the role of ego, a false sense of pride or hospital politics may have played in the decision to treat Duncan, in Dallas.

The Department of Infectious Disease within this hospital, hospital senior management, possibly hospital benefactors, the city, county , state and CDC apparently all bought into it, at the time. Their actual experiences probably contributed more towards an evolving international protocol than anything else, thus far.

Old 10-15-2014, 01:23 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,900,806 times
New Texas nurse with Ebola had fever on airliner | Reuters

Looks like another nurse was diagnosed with Ebola. Yeah, and she was in my area over the weekend just before she was officially diagnosed. They keep holding press conferences on local channels here. Local health officials keep coming on the TV saying "there's nothing to worry about here, she wasn't contagious while in Ohio.... That, and yet, they're naming places and saying "if you were here, we want to talk to you, call this number".... They say they're going to set up a containment and Emergency response center, ya know, just for the heck of it I guess. They keep saying DON"T PANIC......NO NEED TO PANIC......

All this for something they keep saying's "no big deal, not a threat.... Yeah, right.

I think American's are in big trouble my friends, big trouble.

Old 10-15-2014, 01:25 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,894,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
"Thoughtfully"?. Isn't "thoughtful" having leaders concerned about protecting their own citizens, who in theory they represent, and not worrying about hurting the precious feelings of other countries? We are talking about something that can effect a countries well-being, economic status, etc etc on and on and on. And we already have an example of someone who flew in from an infected country and look at all the impact that has caused and cost our country in several areas? Given this fact, I am sure there are many justifications that this could be stamped/approved in an hour with no issues. If other countries want to complain about it, I say tough luck. Again, our leaders, in theory, exist to protect those in the nation they are elected to represent in the priority queue, not to worry about what other nations think about them.

I'm guessing if you were related somehow to the nurses who caught ebola from duncan, you might not be thinking in terms of a textbook/politically correct response. 1% or "a few" is to many in my book, especially if it's a loved one of yours.
There is a problem when thoughtful, logical problem-solving is frowned upon.

Old 10-15-2014, 01:27 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,598,766 times
For those people who think ebola is like the flu but much less contagious please google "ebola victims" and hit "images."

Old 10-15-2014, 01:28 PM

29,505 posts, read 14,668,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
New Texas nurse with Ebola had fever on airliner | Reuters

Looks like another nurse was diagnosed with Ebola. Yeah, and she was in my area over the weekend just before she was officially diagnosed. They keep holding press conferences on local channels here. Local health officials keep coming on the TV saying "there's nothing to worry about here, she wasn't contagious while in Ohio.... That, and yet, they're naming places and saying "if you were here, we want to talk to you, call this number".... They say they're going to set up a containment and Emergency response center, ya know, just for the heck of it I guess. They keep saying DON"T PANIC......NO NEED TO PANIC......

All this for something they keep saying's "no big deal, not a threat.... Yeah, right.

I think American's are in big trouble my friends, big trouble.
Why are they concerned with the 130 passengers ? I'm certain they all didn't come in contact with her bodily fluids right ? It should all be good...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies