Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2014, 02:44 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,019,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
The "news" isn't too forthcoming with (or even perhaps knowledgable about) reports on that, for some odd reason....

ETA: Missed this, MUTGR. I suspected as much. Associated Press (AP) is the mouthpiece of the WH. What is your link if I may ask?

"The Associated Press and other press outlets have agreed not to report on suspected cases of Ebola in the United States until a positive viral RNA test is completed."

So the government apparently asked the media not to report suspected cases - and some have helpfully agreed!"
I don't know anything about the source - it looks like news out of central PA. I just googled ebola and looked for anything new I hadn't seen - and that kind of jumped out at me. Can't vouch for its accuracy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2014, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Based on various news sources, there are about 100-150 people per day traveling to the United States from the Ebola affected areas.
yes, that came from the CDC.

Old 11-03-2014, 02:54 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,977,255 times
Africans are not ignorant. This is from a Liberian report, and eye opening to say the least.
Ebola, AIDS Manufactured by Western Pharmaceuticals, US DoD? | The Liberian Observer

"There is an even more insidious connection, Broderick maintains. "Disturbingly, many reports also conclude that the US government has a viral fever bioterrorism research laboratory in Kenema, a town at the epicenter of the Ebola outbreak in West Africa."

Broderick then references a newspaper report as published in The Guardian. "The U.S. government funding of Ebola trials on healthy humans comes amid warnings by top scientists in Harvard and Yale that such virus experiments risk triggering a worldwide pandemic." That threat still persists."

Report from Catholic Online:
Ebola is manufactured crisis, Liberian doctor says - Africa - International - News - Catholic Online

Dr. Broderick is a former professor of Plant Pathology at the University of Liberia's College of Agriculture and Forestry. He is also a scientist, who has taught for many years at the Agricultural College of the University of Delaware.

Old 11-03-2014, 03:04 PM

37,111 posts, read 41,284,508 times
Quote:
His point about how it is being stated that banning travel would seriously harm the West African economy is right on, the notion is absurd. No one has explained exactly how that harm would occur. Just how many businessmen/women from W Africa must fly to the U.S. or elsewhere to keep that economy afloat? We don't have technology like teleconferencing?
The problem is not just inconveniencing business people, who will not go if they cannot get back out. It is the impact on the entire travel infrastructure. The people with service jobs end up with no way to earn a living. They can just walk across the western borders (no passport required) looking for work so they do not starve. It does not reduce the risk to the US if they do that, taking Ebola with them.

Food security in the affected countries is already precarious. Part of the aid money to fight the epidemic will need to be spent to improve that situation.

Old 11-03-2014, 03:18 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,028,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The problem is not just inconveniencing business people, who will not go if they cannot get back out. It is the impact on the entire travel infrastructure. The people with service jobs end up with no way to earn a living. They can just walk across the western borders (no passport required) looking for work so they do not starve. It does not reduce the risk to the US if they do that, taking Ebola with them.

Food security in the affected countries is already precarious. Part of the aid money to fight the epidemic will need to be spent to improve that situation.
To say that the entire travel infrastructure would be impacted, you would first have to show that the inflow to those countries far outpaces the outflow (of visitors). I have not seen anyone making that claim. Limiting travel to only essential personnel while the crisis is brought under control would be prudent, not damaging. This removes the casual visitors (e.g. tourists), the nutters (e.g. Rutland man who wanted to see Ebola up close and personal), and the ones trying anything nefarious (none yet, thank goodness). I do not favor a full out travel ban. I do favor restricted visas. This would still allow the movement of aid workers back and forth to the affected countries.

Old 11-03-2014, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Africans are not ignorant. This is from a Liberian report, and eye opening to say the least.
Ebola, AIDS Manufactured by Western Pharmaceuticals, US DoD? | The Liberian Observer

"There is an even more insidious connection, Broderick maintains. "Disturbingly, many reports also conclude that the US government has a viral fever bioterrorism research laboratory in Kenema, a town at the epicenter of the Ebola outbreak in West Africa."

Broderick then references a newspaper report as published in The Guardian. "The U.S. government funding of Ebola trials on healthy humans comes amid warnings by top scientists in Harvard and Yale that such virus experiments risk triggering a worldwide pandemic." That threat still persists."

Report from Catholic Online:
Ebola is manufactured crisis, Liberian doctor says - Africa - International - News - Catholic Online

Dr. Broderick is a former professor of Plant Pathology at the University of Liberia's College of Agriculture and Forestry. He is also a scientist, who has taught for many years at the Agricultural College of the University of Delaware.
Do you really think that Ebola is a "genetically modified organism" invented by the Department of Defense and an example of bioterrorism perpetrated by the US government?

Dr. Cyril E. Broderick, Sr. is a shining example of the attitudes in Liberia that are making control of the outbreak there so difficult. Such statements fuel distrust of aid workers and have even resulted in attacks on them, with some deaths. He may not be stupid, but he is indeed ignorant.

On Kenema:

Infectious disease: Ebola

The lab at Kenema was a research and testing facility. It lost funding last summer and closed after the treatment facility was overwhelmed and a large number of staff succumbed to Ebola. Sierra Leone is reorganizing its Ebola treatment facilities.

https://www.internationalsos.com/ebo...anguage_id=ENG

Old 11-03-2014, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
To say that the entire travel infrastructure would be impacted, you would first have to show that the inflow to those countries far outpaces the outflow (of visitors). I have not seen anyone making that claim. Limiting travel to only essential personnel while the crisis is brought under control would be prudent, not damaging. This removes the casual visitors (e.g. tourists), the nutters (e.g. Rutland man who wanted to see Ebola up close and personal), and the ones trying anything nefarious (none yet, thank goodness). I do not favor a full out travel ban. I do favor restricted visas. This would still allow the movement of aid workers back and forth to the affected countries.
I favor restricted visas, too. I just think it is being done quietly through the consulates in the affected countries without announcing a formal "travel ban."

Old 11-03-2014, 03:47 PM

Default survivors of ebola in Africa reported to suffer from post-ebola health syndrome...

...continued health problems, including blindness....

'Post-Ebola Syndrome' Persists After Virus Is Cured, Doctor Says - ABC News

...first I've heard about this.

Old 11-03-2014, 03:49 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,028,329 times
Quote:
I favor restricted visas, too. I just think it is being done quietly through the consulates in the affected countries without announcing a formal "travel ban."
That may be so and if it is true, I think that's not a good decision to keep it quiet. Now that other countries, including one of our closest allies, Canada, have come out publicly in favor of visa restrictions, there is no reason for the US to not do so as well.

Old 11-03-2014, 04:07 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,977,255 times
Quote:
Do you really think that Ebola is a "genetically modified organism" invented by the Department of Defense and an example of bioterrorism perpetrated by the US government?

Dr. Cyril E. Broderick, Sr. is a shining example of the attitudes in Liberia that are making control of the outbreak there so difficult. Such statements fuel distrust of aid workers and have even resulted in attacks on them, with some deaths. He may not be stupid, but he is indeed ignorant.

On Kenema:

Infectious disease: Ebola

The lab at Kenema was a research and testing facility. It lost funding last summer and closed after the treatment facility was overwhelmed and a large number of staff succumbed to Ebola. Sierra Leone is reorganizing its Ebola treatment facilities.

https://www.internationalsos.com/ebo...anguage_id=ENG
I don't "think" anything, because I have no way of corroborating it. I posted these articles for those who may possibly be interested, in case they would like to follow up as I will try to. Everything being "put out there" on the Net or otherwise deserves skepticism, including and perhaps especially government agencies.

One thing to keep in mind is that just about anyone who digs further to try to find out information below the surface is immediately discredited, often viciously, to keep their findings from spreading. They are a threat to mainstream thinking. This happens with everything from climate change to nuclear plants and fracking to toxins in our water to this problem of Ebola. Every issue has more than one side to it, and every dissent from the mainstream line is attacked.

None of us know what is really going on, and we should not pretend to. We are all reading the very sources that back up how we tend to opine. We have no idea what's behind what, if anything. That said, there is no harm in knowing all the possibilities surrounding serious matters. One thing for sure is that the AP (Associated Press) will never come out with anything other than what is being officially said. If anyone wants to know the truth, look to as many sources (other than AP) as can be found, usually from independent investigative journalists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies