Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2014, 11:14 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
Exactly. It can't be a coincidence that media outlets have agreed not to cover even suspected cases, much less identify how many travelers are being monitored, and we have seen Frieden out there (at least I haven't).

Message control was the goal.
Putting a gag order on " caught in the headlights" Frieden made sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2014, 01:04 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,292,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Is this the same GSK which was forced out of China for bribery charges? Let's be honest. These companies while having some noble goals are oriented towards profit. It is their raison d"etre so lets not be naive and squishy. Dr. Chan pulled an Ace out of the deck and played it. I think that she will get results and a slight snarl....but it's a big bad world at times and she has indicated she does not shy from a fight. Reminds me of a Nurse I have heard about.
Bribery? China? Part of doing business there for Western companies.

Ouch! The Chinese Bribery Scandal Is Hurting Big Pharma - Forbes

"The Chinese government, you may recall, is believed by some to use the probes as an opportunity to extract lower prices from global drugmakers and, perhaps, bolster its own domestic pharmaceutical industry. The National Development and Reform Commission, for instance, has been examining pricing by 60 drugmakers, including both local and multi-national companies."

The Chinese are just trying to increase their share of the pharmaceutical market. I, for one, considering the melamine in baby formula and pet food made in China and the drywall fiasco, certainly would not want to use a drug made in China.

I think Dr. Chan's ace is a joker. It is not going to get cooperation from the drug companies. I am still at a loss to understand exactly what she expects "Big Pharma" to do. It's unreasonable to expect for profit companies to bankroll development of unprofitable products. It takes a cooperative international public-private approach with research concentrated in a few locations, not ten different companies working on an Ebola vaccine at once. No Ebola vaccine will be profitable in the long run because its use will be limited to areas where Ebola is endemic. Chan also seems to be deflecting from WHO's shortcomings in the current Ebola crisis.

Old 11-06-2014, 02:35 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Bush had 35+/- czars, including a Bird Flu Czar. Can you name one? I can't.
Obama apparently has had 38 "czars", including an Asian Carp czar. I know that is a big concern in Illinois.
List of U.S. executive branch czars - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-06-2014, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post

"The Chinese government, you may recall, is believed by some to use the probes as an opportunity to extract lower prices from global drugmakers and, perhaps, bolster its own domestic pharmaceutical industry. The National Development and Reform Commission, for instance, has been examining pricing by 60 drugmakers, including both local and multi-national companies."

The Chinese are just trying to increase their share of the pharmaceutical market. I, for one, considering the melamine in baby formula and pet food made in China and the drywall fiasco, certainly would not want to use a drug made in China.

I think Dr. Chan's ace is a joker. It is not going to get cooperation from the drug companies. I am still at a loss to understand exactly what she expects "Big Pharma" to do. It's unreasonable to expect for profit companies to bankroll development of unprofitable products. It takes a cooperative international public-private approach with research concentrated in a few locations, not ten different companies working on an Ebola vaccine at once. No Ebola vaccine will be profitable in the long run because its use will be limited to areas where Ebola is endemic. Chan also seems to be deflecting from WHO's shortcomings in the current Ebola crisis.
Exactly! It's not right, but every company, every one of them, that does business engages in some sort of bribery. Don't ask me how I know.

Old 11-06-2014, 02:41 PM

78,436 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Just checking in .... is anyone still alive from this horrendous outbreak? lol.

#mediacircus

Old 11-06-2014, 03:18 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,292,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Just checking in .... is anyone still alive from this horrendous outbreak? lol.

#mediacircus
Doc Spencer is feeling better:

NYC Ebola Patient Passing Time in Isolation Playing Banjo: Reports

Old 11-06-2014, 04:38 PM

20,836 posts, read 17,112,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post

I thought so to (joker) but she knows her territory pretty well, and as we all know embarrassment is a huge motivator. What happens is the talk begins since W.H.O. is the ethical body responsible for the w o r l d's health. Their challenges are daunting to say the least and with decrease in funding levels from the U.N. Chan must take another approach. Believe me these excecutive board room's don't like being called names and they won't shout at Dr. Chan.

I remember when the USA sent a memo to Bayer that we were considering nationalizing the supply of Cipro in the early days after 9/11. When the memo was read medics had to be called as there were several reports of chest pain. Big Pharma as you call it (never liked that moniker) is full of people who like things to be smooth and silky not bumpy. In fact their boards fear embarrassment more than anything else....so Chan is very well aware that they will up their game to avoid further name calling. If they attack her, they would look like pariah and she and they both know this.

Old 11-06-2014, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Exactly! It's not right, but every company, every one of them, that does business engages in some sort of bribery. Don't ask me how I know.
Dr, Chan cut her teeth with W.H.O. in China. She is no stranger to their "systems".

Old 11-06-2014, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Dr, Chan cut her teeth with W.H.O. in China. She is no stranger to their "systems".
She is not the one who brought up bribery in China.

Old 11-06-2014, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
She is not the one who brought up bribery in China.
Do you think it will be ok?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies