Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2014, 08:32 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Looks like CDC was right about containing it after all.
CDC contained it? I don't think so! And I really find it hard to believe there will be no more cases here in the US related to the outbreak in Africa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2014, 05:18 AM

13,694 posts, read 9,018,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
CDC contained it? I don't think so! And I really find it hard to believe there will be no more cases here in the US related to the outbreak in Africa.
There could well be more cases here in the USA, particularly if Ebola spreads. Hence, the need to contain it within western Africa.

I had mentioned before that Ebola may not be as deadly as believed. It certainly is so to the people of western Africa, where clean water and clean facilities is the exception rather than the rule.

Yet the success rate of recovery of those treated here in the United States is heartening (to have all, save for Mr. Duncan, recover, is amazing, and should not have happened if it had a true mortality rate of up to 80 percent). As one doctor noted, hydration is key. I also suspect our better immune systems also help.

Old 11-11-2014, 05:54 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,865,913 times
Quote:
Oh come on, the 'Ebola Scare Tactic' ended with the election.

Old 11-11-2014, 06:24 AM

19,536 posts, read 9,552,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
The last Ebola patient in the U.S. is reported cured:

"The U.S. is now free of known Ebola cases. Only two people have been infected in the United States and the 21-day monitoring period is almost over for Spencer’s contacts; it will end Thursday."

Last U.S. Ebola Patient Is Cured: Dr. Craig Spencer to Be Released - NBC News

Keyword = known

Old 11-11-2014, 07:32 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,437,385 times
I know what you all are thinking

Man, we were nuts - thinking this Ebola was some scary thing. This Chris from Chicago was dead right. No issue, except for poorly educated healthcare workers

man- i wish I could rep chris for being so right, and us being so wrong

Old 11-11-2014, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
There could well be more cases here in the USA, particularly if Ebola spreads. Hence, the need to contain it within western Africa.

I had mentioned before that Ebola may not be as deadly as believed. It certainly is so to the people of western Africa, where clean water and clean facilities is the exception rather than the rule.

Yet the success rate of recovery of those treated here in the United States is heartening (to have all, save for Mr. Duncan, recover, is amazing, and should not have happened if it had a true mortality rate of up to 80 percent). As one doctor noted, hydration is key. I also suspect our better immune systems also help.
The people treated here in the US, including Mr. Duncan, had all sorts of experimental drugs given to them. That's not the normal standard of care for Ebola. Certainly, I'll give credit to our health care system for being better than western Africa's, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Oh come on, the 'Ebola Scare Tactic' ended with the election.
Frankly, this time, I think it was coincidental. We health care providers are not so "over it" as everyone else who has "moved on".

Old 11-11-2014, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
I know what you all are thinking

Man, we were nuts - thinking this Ebola was some scary thing. This Chris from Chicago was dead right. No issue, except for poorly educated healthcare workers

man- i wish I could rep chris for being so right, and us being so wrong
"Poorly educated health care workers"? Sorry, bub, you lost my support right there! You might want to read Nina Pham's own words: How did Dallas nurses catch Ebola? - Nation - The Boston Globe

Ms. Pham has a BSN from Texas Christian University, a fairly high-ranked school, and Ms. Vinson's BSN is from Kent State.

Yes, by all means bring back "blame the nurses". It's a time honored approach to any health care problem. Now tell me how it can be so hard to get Ebola that no one in Duncan's household, or any of the staff that treated him in the ER (including the nurses that were blamed there) didn't get it, yet these nurses dressed as above got it through their own stupidity, you know, maybe they had a paper cut on their hands that no one else involved had, maybe they used a contaminated pen (implication they put it in their mouth, nose, what?), maybe they did this, maybe they did that. . . .
The 'Time-Honored Tradition' Of Blaming The Nurse : NPR

And for those of you who say, "Frieden didn't blame the nurses, he just blamed their lack of education, etc", it sure looks to the popular press and many nursing organizations that he was blaming nurses.
https://www.google.com/search?q=blam...x-a&channel=sb

We will never get this problem in hand if that approach continues.

See this decision tree:
Who To Blame When You Get Ebola: A CDC Guide For Healthcare Workers

Speaking of rep, there are times I wish we still had negative rep.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 11-11-2014 at 08:38 AM..

Old 11-11-2014, 08:24 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,754,176 times
Obviously by the rate of survivors here being treated and released...it is not the boogeyman we all feared. I think with our health standards, clean water, and great hospitals, we will overcome this. Back to ISIS......

Old 11-11-2014, 08:54 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,437,385 times
Okay - i'm sorry. . I consider nurses and hospital in the same boat - healthcare workers.

You/your hospital did something wrong if you caught Ebola from a patient. I mean every other hospital but Texas has done it without getting their nurses sick.

So it was unprepared (under educated/wrong process) healthcare workers.

Not blaming the freaking nurse, but Ebola isn't magic. Obviously she did something wrong to catch it - how much is her fault or the hospital I don't really care (not suited up right, lax on precautions, wrong process, etc)

But obviously - ill prepared medical staff are the only threat from Ebola. With preparation and the right process, Ebola doesn't pose a threat to healthcare workers.

Quote:
"Poorly educated health care workers"? Sorry, bub, you lost my support right there!

Old 11-11-2014, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
Okay - i'm sorry. . I consider nurses and hospital in the same boat - healthcare workers.

You/your hospital did something wrong if you caught Ebola from a patient. I mean every other hospital but Texas has done it without getting their nurses sick.

So it was unprepared (under educated/wrong process) healthcare workers.

Not blaming the freaking nurse, but Ebola isn't magic. Obviously she did something wrong to catch it - how much is her fault or the hospital. (not suited up right, lax on precautions, wrong process, etc)

But obviously - ill prepared medical staff are the only threat from Ebola. With preparation and the right process, Ebola doesn't pose a threat to healthcare workers.
It's all her fault! Did you read the decision tree?

Why can no one accept that these nurses may have done nothing wrong, there may have been nothing wrong with their equipment, and yet they still got Ebola? Why do people think that everything we know about Ebola NOW is all there is to know about it, that there is no possible circumstance under which following these guidelines to the letter will still not protect you?

I'm no apologist for hospital administrators, Heaven knows, but maybe it wasn't their fault, either.

I have been in health care a long time. I've had to unlearn a lot. Maybe you will too, some day.

As for these other hospitals, heck, they all knew their patients had Ebola prior to admission. I was in Omaha when the cameraman was admitted. Now he's another one who doesn't know how he could have gotten Ebola, and the method postulated (cleaning a car) sounds far-fetched per guidelines.

"Speaking at Monday’s news conference, Dr. Ali Khan, dean of the college of public health at the University of Nebraska Medical Center, said the situation in Omaha is far different than in Dallas, where a hospital has come under criticism when a man suffering from Ebola-like symptoms was initially sent home by a hospital before being admitted three days later with worsened symptoms. “It’s a controlled situation where we know what the person has,” Dr. Khan said."
U.S. Journalist With Ebola Arrives in Nebraska for Treatment - WSJ

Watch this: American cameraman infected with Ebola arrives at Nebraska hospital | Video | wkyc.com
Everyone involved, all already suited up, including the ambulance driver.

But, when all is said and done, it's the nurses' fault.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies