Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 05:58 PM

2,238 posts, read 1,443,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
Well we knowhow you feel about the pipe line. Please quite hugging your tree for a moment!We have thousands of miles of pipe in the US and Canada.
If it come down to a National Emergency this would come into play. Alternative Fuel sources. We are getting there , but not there.
I have not seen a Hybrid car that I would actually put money down.
Solar does not even come close and is regulated in keeping your gate operating in a outage.

Maybe in 20 years the technogies will be there, but now we are very much a Oil country and get used to it.
Yes I feel the pipeline would be absolutely useless to us and i don't care if we had a gazillion miles of pipeline in this country. Why should we have a pipeline built for the benefit of a CANADIAN OIL COMPANY when the oil companies we have in this country can't even keep their refineries from leaking ? And why would you think I'm a tree hugger because i think the tired old meme or drill baby drill is stupid ? So because you don't see a hybrid car you like you don't think one is any good ?? Not everyone wants a gas guzzling pickup truck some people actually want value for their money. Checkout tesla cars they're very nice and they've been coming down in price as well hopefully we'll get more companies like tesla
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2014, 05:59 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadSpeak View Post
What does this even mean ?

HOW DOES A CANADIAN OIL PIPELINE THAT WILL BE SHIPPED TO CHINA MAKE US MORE SECURE ????? What would make us more secure is if we started actually investing money into alternative energies and weening ourselves from oil and other petroleum based products. Than we could perhaps stop doing business with Saudi Arabia
Do you know for a fact that all the crude oil coming from Canada will be shipped to China? Are you 100 percent certain of that? Perhaps some thorough research on the topic will lead you to a different conclusion. I find it hard to believe that the 3.25 million barrels of oil per day your country imports from Canada is all refined and exported and none of it is used for domestic consumption.... No doubt - some does reach foreign lands but by and large most is used for American consumption - a nation that still has one of the largest consumption levels in the world.

Read this article in the WSJ

Of the 3.25 million barrels of oil per day the U.S currently imports from Canada only 25K barrels are exported to foreign lands.... Granted, within 2 years it could reach 500K barrels of oil per day but do the math - still substantially less than used for domestic consumption.

http://online.wsj.com/articles/u-s-i...eek-1412810863

As for alternative energies - really good thing to do actually.. The environment will thank us all.. The U.S produces about 8-9 million barrels of oil per day - yet it consumes 18-19 million barrels.. The United States consumes more oil than any other country except China.. It will take some radical changes in your consumption habits to ween yourself off oil.. Are you willing and able to do this.. Taking into account that oil isn't just used to fuel up your car btw.

Last edited by fusion2; 11-18-2014 at 06:07 PM..

Old 11-18-2014, 06:01 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
Quote:
Currently running on US trains employing US workers for US companies.
I didn't realize you cared so much about Canadian corporate profits.
Keep up the fight. I work for Warren Buffet and drive those oil trains and I make wads of money doing it.

Old 11-18-2014, 06:06 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
It's a good example of politicians spinning words, luing and misleading their supporters by offering all kinds of numbers to support their case. You can see people inhale and repeat every word as long as it supports their side of the argument. sigh....

Old 11-18-2014, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Do you know for a fact that all the crude oil coming from Canada will be shipped to China? Are you 100 percent certain of that? Perhaps some thorough research on the topic will lead you to a different conclusion. I find it hard to believe that the 3.25 million barrels of oil per day your country imports from Canada is all refined and exported and none of it is used for domestic consumption.... No doubt - some down reach foreign lands but by and large most is used for American consumption - a nation that still has one of the largest consumption levels of oil in the world.

As for alternative energies - really good thing to do actually.. The environment will thank us all.. The U.S produces about 8-9 million barrels of oil per day - yet it consumes 18-19 million barrels.. The United States consumes more oil than any other country except China.. It will take some radical changes in your consumption habits to ween yourself off oil.. Are you willing and able to do this.. Taking into account that oil isn't just used to fuel up your car btw.
1) i don't have a car i live in nyc and take the train which is run by electricity, 2)Even if some of the oil was sold to the u.s. do you really think they would give any to us at some sort of discount ?? Do any of the american oil company conglomerates give us a discount when they start drilling off the gulf coast of mexico ? And why would you find it hard to believe that 3.25 millions barrels of oil would be given to us ? Oil companies are about profit if they chinese want it badly they will pay for it, and it's not only china that uses more than us japan is heavily reliant on them as well. The only reason europe isn't is because they have russia they have to deal with. And yes i am willing to ween myself of oil and petroleum based products if someone can make a viable option i'd be happy with it.

Old 11-18-2014, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadSpeak View Post
1) i don't have a car i live in nyc and take the train which is run by electricity, 2)Even if some of the oil was sold to the u.s. do you really think they would give any to us at some sort of discount ?? Do any of the american oil company conglomerates give us a discount when they start drilling off the gulf coast of mexico ? And why would you find it hard to believe that 3.25 millions barrels of oil would be given to us ? Oil companies are about profit if they chinese want it badly they will pay for it, and it's not only china that uses more than us japan is heavily reliant on them as well. The only reason europe isn't is because they have russia they have to deal with. And yes i am willing to ween myself of oil and petroleum based products if someone can make a viable option i'd be happy with it.
I think you need to read this article in the WSJ

U.S. Imports Record Amount of Canadian Crude Oil in Latest Week - WSJ

Currently only 25K barrels per day of the 3.25 million barrels of oil per day you import is shipped outside the U.S...Granted, within two years that could rise to 500K per day but that is still far and away lower than your consumption.

Its great you take the train - but are you sure you don't consume oil for other purposes.. As I mentioned before, Americans would need to radically change there consumption habits and fundamentally change their way of life quickly if they don't want to rely on foreign (including Canadian oil)..

I'd love to live in a world where we aren't damaging the environment but I live in reality not a fairy tale.. Most people need oil - they need to drive their cars to work and to fly and to use a plethora of oil based products.. It is what it is!

Old 11-18-2014, 06:14 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,262,817 times
Quote:
Do you know for a fact that all the crude oil coming from Canada will be shipped to China? Are you 100 percent certain of that? Perhaps some thorough research on the topic will lead you to a different conclusion. I find it hard to believe that the 3.25 million barrels of oil per day your country imports from Canada is all refined and exported and none of it is used for domestic consumption.... No doubt - some does reach foreign lands but by and large most is used for American consumption - a nation that still has one of the largest consumption levels in the world.
Tar sand oil is different. That oil is very heavy, dirty, and very expensive to refine enough to meet EPA sulfur regulations. Could the tar sand oil be used? Yes, but it makes more sense to sell that oil to a country with less stringent regulations.

Old 11-18-2014, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Tar sand oil is different. That oil is very heavy, dirty, and very expensive to refine enough to meet EPA sulfur regulations. Could the tar sand oil be used? Yes, but it makes more sense to sell that oil to a country with less stringent regulations.
Great and at the end of the day the U.S uses 97 percent of the oil it imports from Canada for domestic consumption..

We can talk about tar sand oil being dirty and a pain and expensive to refine all we want but truth is at the end of the day most of it is consumed by Americans to meet demand. The only way you are going to change it collectively as a nation is to radically shift your consumption of oil.. The choice is ultimately up to the U.S as a nation.. Has nothing to do with Canada.

Old 11-18-2014, 06:20 PM

Quote:

Currently only 25K barrels per day of the 3.25 million barrels of oil per day you import is shipped outside the U.S...Granted, within two years that could rise to 500K per day but that is still far and away lower than your consumption.

Its great you take the train - but are you sure you don't consume oil for other purposes.. As I mentioned before, Americans would need to radically change there consumption habits and fundamentally change their way of life quickly if they don't want to rely on foreign (including Canadian oil)..

I'd love to live in a world where we aren't damaging the environment but I live in reality not a fairy tale.. Most people need oil - they need to drive their cars to work and to fly and to use a plethora of oil based products.. It is what it is!
Ok, so why are we getting oil from canada and still importing oil from OPEC countries ? Also would the pipeline actually do anything for us considering we already get oil from canada? Also the oil we get from canada is what would be called "dirty" oil

Old 11-18-2014, 06:22 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:

I think the point is what they would do with the oil coming through Keystone pipeline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies