Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 06:26 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,883,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I think the point is what they would do with the oil coming through Keystone pipeline.
True and definitely the trend is for more oil to be exported than in the past.. Having said that, don't you think it'll still come to gulf coast refineries via other means ie.. rail and ultimately be exported anyway? I'm not sure if you're aware of Lac Megantic but man - rail is a pretty crappy way to transport. Irregardless, point is over the next two decades it is still highly likely that the U.S will consume more oil it imports from Canada than will be exported to foreign lands..

The good thing is - if there is middle east instability that oil can be quickly redirected where needed right here within our own stable governed democracies as opposed to a very unpredictable part of the world... something to consider!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2014, 06:26 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,264,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Great and at the end of the day the U.S uses 97 percent of the oil it imports from Canada for domestic consumption..

U.S. Imports Record Amount of Canadian Crude Oil in Latest Week - WSJ

We can talk about tar sand oil being dirty and a pain and expensive to refine all we want but truth is at the end of the day most of it is consumed by Americans to meet demand. The only way you are going to change it collectively as a nation is to radically shift your consumption of oil.. The choice is ultimately up to the U.S as a nation.. Has nothing to do with Canada.
Unless that is all tar sand oil I'm not sure you have a point.

Old 11-18-2014, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadSpeak View Post
Ok, so why are we getting oil from canada and still importing oil from OPEC countries ? Also would the pipeline actually do anything for us considering we already get oil from canada? Also the oil we get from canada is what would be called "dirty" oil
It is simple - because of how much you consume.. Canada can't take care of all your consumption on a per day basis but it certainly does more so than any other nation by far.. As a matter of fact you import almost as much oil from us as ALL OPEC nations combined..

The U.S produces 8-9 million barrels per day (which is incredible in its own right).. but still consumes 18-19 million barrels per day.. If you import 3.25 million from Canada you still need to import from other countries to meet your own demand.

Old 11-18-2014, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Unless that is all tar sand oil I'm not sure you have a point.
Ok what am I missing... You import 3.25 million barrels of oil per day from Canada... It is from Tar Sands...so?

Old 11-18-2014, 06:36 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,467,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadSpeak View Post
Ok, so why are we getting oil from canada and still importing oil from OPEC countries ?
Because it's a competitive marketplace and oil is purchased by private companies not by the government. OPEC oil is cheaper than fracking and tar sands oil, even when it's price is high. By setting low prices OPEC is making fracking and tar sands oil less profitable or even unprofitable.

Old 11-18-2014, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Because it's a competitive marketplace and oil is purchased by private companies not by the government. OPEC oil is cheaper than fracking and tar sands oil, even when it's price is high. By setting low prices OPEC is making fracking and tar sands oil less profitable or even unprofitable.
Oil sands revenue to reach $2.5-trillion by 2038 despite price slump, report says | Financial Post

Old 11-18-2014, 06:39 PM

8,447 posts, read 4,753,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
She voted yes and it was allowed for a vote, I think that was their plan rather than actually pass the bill. Call me a conspiracy theorist but that's my take.
I'm not sure how that really helps her win the election though. Is the argument supposed to be that her republican opponent would have voted against it? The best it does it make the pipeline a wash politically speaking, but the GOP gains of late have not been due to the pipeline issue anyway.

Old 11-18-2014, 06:41 PM

2,172 posts, read 1,454,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
The liberals up in arms over this amuse me because the environmental impact will be quite small.

The conservatives up in arms over this amuse me because the economic benefits will be quite small.

Much ado about nothing. Just a flip a coin to build/not build, it's not very important either way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
You hit the nail on the head. It is neither the benefit nor the detriment that the partisans have turned it into. It makes you wonder why they took some strong stances on it. Maybe because there is really little to lose or gain either way other than whipping up their respective bases.
I've given these 2 comments more thought....

Sadly - I think you're both right. I'm definitely guilty of heated debate on KXL.

Somewhat off-topic but it sometimes seems easier to scream at each other on CD than admit BOTH parties on MOST issues have failed us all.

If this is capitalism, it sure feels corporate to me.

Old 11-18-2014, 06:42 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,026,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
I'm not sure how that really helps her win the election though. Is the argument supposed to be that her republican opponent would have voted against it? The best it does it make the pipeline a wash politically speaking, but the GOP gains of late have not been due to the pipeline issue anyway.
Her opponent co-sponsored the bill. It was more about her trying to 'prove' that she's not an Obama yes man. However, that ship has sailed. I think her track record is around 90% of the time she voted yes on Obama policies.

Old 11-18-2014, 06:43 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,026,533 times
Here's why the Keystone Pipeline 'debate' is silly. They're going to move this oil anyway but by rail and truck which are far more dangerous to move oil than the proposed pipeline. At this point, the left really is tilting at windmills to oppose this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies