Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 11:09 AM

38,645 posts, read 26,393,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMANDTHOM View Post
Hate to be a bearer of bad news, but there really are not a lot tax benefits for SSM. I ran the figures on federal tax, and it virtually unchanged. We also ran the effects by our lawyer etc.

We will have to include both our incomes regarding homestead exemptions in our state, when our state gets around to accepting our status. In our case, my husband cannot collect on my SS, he is under the "old civil service" rules, without having a dollar for dollar reduction from his pension. We can no longer "shelter" assets from a law suit against the other.

Next, generally any debt that we take on now becomes "community" property. When we kept things separate we could have let the bills go unpaid and shuffled assets to the non-delinquent person.

We were together for almost 40 years, before we got married in August 2014 in New York. For us to go out of state was not an issue. Hubby is retired and I'm working less than fulltime. We did marry for love and every other couple we know is waiting for our state to get its collective self-righteous head out of its ass as they are also couple of multiple decades.

The whole legal benefits argument is designed to provide standing for challenging and overturning the will of the people in court.

That accomplished, the homosexual thought police can then use documents issued by the state to support their claim that homosexuality is normal and natural because it is legally indistinguishable from heterosexuality.

Old 11-30-2014, 11:18 AM

11,431 posts, read 19,007,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Forced tolerance, maybe. You can't make people accept it.
You can't make racists like minorities either. It is a moral question of denying rights to some US citizens, yet taxing them the same or even more than heterosexually married couples. Government confers many rights and advantages on married ppl (especially those with kids). These rights and advantages should not be denied to same sex marriages.

Old 11-30-2014, 11:37 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,877,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
So, not "my personal opinion," but God's truth.
What makes you any different than a Muslim proclaiming "Allah's truth"? The answer to that is not a damn thing except for your particular flavor of "God." You are no better than the Islamic fanatics who also attempt to foist their brand of religious Sharia law on everybody else because "their God said so."

Old 11-30-2014, 11:42 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,567,335 times
Quote:

You shouldn't be subjecting your children to perversion and debauchery. Your children should be taken from you.
Mmm, yes. Let's remember that every time a kid walks in on their parents doing it. Every last one of those kids should be taken away from their parents. Perversion!

Old 11-30-2014, 11:49 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,877,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Mmm, yes. Let's remember that every time a kid walks in on their parents doing it. Every last one of those kids should be taken away from their parents. Perversion!
I would much rather my kids walked on that than to be in the same room with nonsenseguy for 10 seconds. The first is exposure to a completely normal human activity, and the second is exposure to pure and unadulterated fanatical hatred.

Old 11-30-2014, 12:20 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,452,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
Jews Still Believe in Jesus and Jesus was Jewish.
Nope. I'm a Jew. No Jew believes that Jesus was the Messiah. Jesus himself would not have believed such things. It goes against all the text that Christians so conveniently ignore - except for when the gays are mentioned, of course.

Are you married? With a ketubah, rabbi, and chuppah of course - none of that fake church stuff. If you have no signed ketubah, then you're just pretending to get married for the benefits.

Old 11-30-2014, 12:22 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,452,288 times
Quote:
Read the above quoted post. He's right. So, not "my personal opinion," but God's truth.

You shouldn't be subjecting your children to perversion and debauchery. Your children should be taken from you.
Should your children be taken from you because you are blasphemous and believe in the wrong religion? After all, that's G-d's truth: the Torah.

Old 11-30-2014, 01:08 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,213,079 times
Quote:
It still remains a sin and those to continue in the ways of will not know God in the afterlife. Times change the Bible stays the same.

But the big but, is we do live in a free country and Gay Marriage may be approved Socially, not with people of Faith.
This is the main problem. At the end of the day the bible is random. It's full of man-made stories collected over many many years and put together into a book many years ago. It's stories created by man at a specfic moment in time. If you want to be religious and you choose christianity, then it makes much more sense to re-write the bible every once in awhile to conform to modern day. Otherwise it just doesn't make sense, it's completely outdated.

At a minimum if you're religious you need to be able to separate fact from fiction and the real world from the religious world.

There are hundreds of religions and hundreds of gods on earth. None of them are "correct" or any better than others really. They're man made institutions. Some people get a bit too involved and devote (waste many times) their entire lives trying to conform to this play written thousands of years ago. You get one life on earth and then everything is over. Don't throw it way.

Anyway, congrats to Mississippi! I have a close coworker who is down there and is a wonderful woman who's been with her partner now for over 30 years. She's so excited she can finally just get married and get it overwith and complete that huge hole in her life that's been hanging out there for decades. She can finally feel whole and safe in her relationship.

Shame on those ignorant people who deny others something so simple as marriage for no rational reason. Then hide behind it with "religion". Shame.

Old 11-30-2014, 01:12 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,761,687 times
Quote:
I am not looking for respect from MAN...that would be a waste of time; talent and ability.

Marriage is between a Man and a Woman-Period!

If your truths do not align with GOD's truth- then you and those that think and believe like you will have to meet your maker someday- what will your account be- what will you say? I don't need you to blog this..just something for you to think about.
I have thought about it. And what I think is that we don't have a theocracy here, so what *some* (not all) religious people think constitutes a real marriage matters only to them, but isn't legally significant.

Last edited by jacqueg; 11-30-2014 at 01:27 PM..

Old 11-30-2014, 01:19 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,459,004 times
Quote:
It is written in the Old Testament and the New Testament it is a sin. To Confuse a Marriage with one Man and one women compares nothing to a misguided liberal concept of marriage.
Uh, so when did the New (or old) Testament supersede the Constitution? The US is NOT a theocracy, so, you know, move along, nothing to see here.

Quote:
Go ahead and get you Civil union for the benefits of marriage. Please do call it a Marriage. It offends most Christians.
Gee, that's just a darned shame! They can move to Iran if they don't like our system of government and laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies