Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2014, 09:39 AM

52,430 posts, read 26,654,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
So - pointing out that there are improvements that could be made within the police community - translates into siding with 'thugs, idiots, the irresponsible, and dregs of society"?

If my boss criticizes my work at all - does that mean I should stamp my feet and turn my back on him/her?

Again, childish tantrums by those that cannot tolerate any small amount of criticism.
Answers to your questions: (since you asked me for guidance)
  1. You are attempting a red herring fallacy. The police did not turn their backs on the mayor because he is trying to make improvements.
  2. In continuing with your logical fallacies, you have changed the rhetoric of the mayor suggesting improvements to that of public criticism. It can't be both simultaneously.
  3. The police did not commit a childish tantrum. The childish tantrums were performed by the rioters in Ferguson, NYC, Oakland, and other places where there are large concentrations of those from the Black race where attacks on the police have taken place.
Finally we are not talking about "any small amount of criticism". We are talking about two innocent policemen executed by a useless thug for racial reasons. Equating execution with small amount of criticism, is about as ridiculous as it gets when it comes to the defense of thugs, idiots, the irresponsible, and dregs of society. Your hyperbole runs deep on that one.

Hopefully this clears it up for you.

Last edited by WaldoKitty; 12-29-2014 at 09:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2014, 09:43 AM

11,185 posts, read 6,512,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
So - pointing out that there are improvements that could be made within the police community - translates into siding with 'thugs, idiots, the irresponsible, and dregs of society"?

If my boss criticizes my work at all - does that mean I should stamp my feet and turn my back on him/her?

Again, childish tantrums by those that cannot tolerate any small amount of criticism.
What is wrong with you and others who won't see that DeB went beyond recommending improvements or reforms. He basically called all cops racists, blamed Garner's death on racism rather than Garner himself resisting arrest or the cops trying to enforce a stupid law that he and police brass wanted strictly enforced, mocked the Grand Jury decision without a clue of the evidence.

Quick --- name one 'improvement' DeB spoke of right after the Garner decision.

Old 12-29-2014, 10:02 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,984,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Next time you're at work use your constitutional right to publically display your displeasure with your boss, see how that turns out.

This display was in poor taste, the focus should have been on the family and the police officer that was killed.
He's not their boss.

And the focus was on the family and officer. A protest against the hypocrite that pretended to care, but was an indirect cause of their loved ones death. I'm sure the family was in agreement.....

Old 12-29-2014, 10:07 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,550,525 times
Deblasio should resign. But leftists have no conscience and don't experience remorse, so he won't.

Old 12-29-2014, 10:12 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,204,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Deblasio should resign. But leftists have no conscience and don't experience remorse, so he won't.
Why should de Blasio resign? Because right wingers want him to? I am sure you praised the police that protested at a funeral which was disrespectful and shameful of them to do at a FUNERAL.

Old 12-29-2014, 11:47 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,241,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Your mistake was in letting CNN doing the thinking for you.

The policemen were exercising their rights, under the US Constitution, as citizens of the USA, to protest. I should add, their protest was also peaceful, civil and very adult like. Certainly much different than the animals who tore up Ferguson and disrupted places like NYC. There is a lessen there that others should pay attention to.
I supported the right of the police to protest. That said, shouldn't the argument be that they should simply respect the legal authority of the mayor and do what they are told?

Old 12-29-2014, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
No, it was a peaceful demonstration. I think de Blasio should resign, he has lost control of the city. I also think that the officer who had his hands on Garner's neck and the one who had his knee on Garner's back should resign. Its time for the drama to end, the city needs to move on.
That's not good enough. That will not end the protests. The idea that police officer can break rules, laws or whatever and not get charged for that has to be addressed.

Any time a police officer is being investigated it must go to a completely independent source. We can no longer expect someone who relies on the police to keep his job to investigate them.

If I am called for jury duty and I work with the one being charged I am going to be dismissed. The same should apply to the prosecution.

Old 12-29-2014, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
No, it was a protest at a funeral, those officers should be ashamed of their behavior. And why exactly should de Blasio resign? Because he doesn't bow down to the NYPD and let them go unchecked? New Yorkers voted him in office to question how the police act in the city.
I imagine the dead officers would support the protests so they wouldn't be disrespectful.

Old 12-29-2014, 11:53 AM

57,317 posts, read 26,245,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
He's not their boss.

And the focus was on the family and officer. A protest against the hypocrite that pretended to care, but was an indirect cause of their loved ones death. I'm sure the family was in agreement.....
Bratton reports to De Blasio, he is their boss.

No the protest detracted from what should have been a peaceful funeral to inject politics, the focus should have been the grieving family. The family was very respectful and thankful, those police officers should have done the same.

I recall some people criticizing the protestors near the monument where the police officers were killed, that was wrong. Funerals are not opportunities to protest.
If the protestors voiced their opinion at the funeral I assume you would take no issue.

Old 12-29-2014, 11:55 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,204,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I imagine the dead officers would support the protests so they wouldn't be disrespectful.
I doubt anyone would want people protesting for whatever reason at their funeral. It is a disrespectful thing to do because what these officers did was turn a funeral into a political event. They should be ashamed of their actions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies