Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2015, 02:35 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,545,982 times

Advertisements

I'm starting to get over this flu, finally. I've been sleeping for most of the past 72 hours.The aches were over this morning. I am still very weak with no appetite. There is an entire orchestra of horns in my sinuses and bronchial area.

I haven't had a flu for 10 years. This one is miserable,.

Old 01-04-2015, 02:51 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,230,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
I'm starting to get over this flu, finally. I've been sleeping for most of the past 72 hours.The aches were over this morning. I am still very weak with no appetite. There is an entire orchestra of horns in my sinuses and bronchial area.

I haven't had a flu for 10 years. This one is miserable,.
I'm starting to get over it too (I think). This virus is weird, because you can feel really great for a couple hours and then get knocked down again. It hit my respiratory system yesterday and again like earlier this week I thought I was going to die and came this close to going to urgent care again. I just don't get sick like this.

DH barely has symptoms at all. It's all about the individual immune system and how it will react to the virus I guess.

Old 01-04-2015, 02:54 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie— deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic. Belief in myths allows the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.
– John Fitzgerald Kennedy (1917–1963)

Mortality rate from the flu had decreased significantly by the 70's when the big gov push to get the vaccine started.

Old 01-04-2015, 03:12 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie— deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic. Belief in myths allows the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.
– John Fitzgerald Kennedy (1917–1963)

Mortality rate from the flu had decreased significantly by the 70's when the big gov push to get the vaccine started.
Just when I thought it was safe to get off CD for a while and do something useful! That is one of the biggest anti-vax myths of all time, though technically, maybe true. And oh, look, here's where this information comes from, complete with JFK's quote: The Flu Vaccine: Something to Sneeze At ~ by Roman Bystrianyk | International Medical Council on Vaccination

Quotes by Doshi, just "outed" above as having no science background, and the illustrious Tom Jefferson, who is considered a pariah even among the anti-vaxers b/c of his outrageous views. Yes, Terri, that's true! And regardless, influenza and pneumonia are still the 8th leading cause of death in the US.
FastStats - Leading Causes of Death

Gimme a break! This "Vaccination Council" is a quack organization: Vaccination Council: Misleading | Stuff And Nonsense

Old 01-04-2015, 03:12 PM

6,897 posts, read 4,753,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
The vast majority of those are old, sick, and infirm to begin with. It is very rare for healthy strong people to die from the flu. As far a flu shots, every time I get one, I get the flu. Years I don't take it, I seem to be able to avoid it.
You do not get the flu from the flu shot.

Old 01-04-2015, 03:28 PM

6,897 posts, read 4,753,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
Lmfao Frank....you should do stand up

You're like a breath of fresh air around here.....

And I do believe the OP has links to the pharmaceutical companies....
Just from prior posts......
But don't get me started on vaccinations & which ones I have never bought into the b.s. hype over.
Lets just say I boycotted the ones I objected to, but these days parents are being scared into compliance.
The flu shot is your choice, but because of the anti-vaxxer movement, we are starting to see serious outbreaks in preventable childhood diseases.

Old 01-04-2015, 03:45 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Ah, the "they didn't save us" anti-vax argument.

http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/20...d-by-vaccines/

"For example, another common trope is what I like to refer to as the 'vaccines didn’t save us' or the 'vaccines don’t work' gambit, in which it is pointed out that the introduction of vaccines don’t correlate tightly with drops in mortality from various diseases. Julian Whitaker even used this gambit when he debated Steve Novella. The fundamental flaw in this trope neglects the contribution of better medical care to the survival of more victims of disease, which decreased mortality. If you look at graphs of disease incidence you will see a profound and powerful effect of the introduction of vaccines on specific vaccine-preventable diseases. In other words, vaccines work."

The flu virus was not even discovered until 1933. Antibiotics came along shortly thereafter: sulfa in the late '30s and tetracycline in the late '40s. Penicillin was not made available for civilian use until after WWII.

The ability to treat secondary bacterial infections in flu patients with antibiotics would help reduce mortality, but that does nothing to reduce the incidence of flu.

Also, since the incidence and severity of influenza varies tremendously from year to year and there are differences between age groups, comparisons of one year to another do not tell us anything.

Doshi, the guy with the history degree who thinks he is an epidemiologist, has a slide showing mortality rates from influenza going back to before influenza was even identified. How he could know the mortality rate for that time interval is perplexing and just shows he does not have a clue about influenza.

However, another way to look at mortality is to see whether people who die from inluenza have been vaccinated or not. Since only pediatric flu deaths must be reported to the CDC, we will look at those:

CDC Reports About 90 Percent of Children Who Died From Flu This Season Not Vaccinated | Spotlights (Flu) | CDC

"Pediatric deaths are defined as flu-associated deaths that occur in people younger than 18 years. An early look at this season’s reports indicates that about 90 percent occurred in children who had not received a flu vaccination this season."

Nine in ten pediatric deaths occurred in kids who were not vaccinated.

Old 01-04-2015, 03:46 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,545,982 times
Some people never get the flu. Others, like me, are very susceptible. If I don't get a flu shot, or if they guess wrong about which varients to put in the flu shots, I get the flu.

I had 2 flus in my life that sent my temperature so high, I lost consciousness. One was at age 18, the other at age 35. You don't have to be old to have life threatening symptoms.

I don't care what any of the anti vacers say. Flu shots save lives of people sensitive to influenza.

I'm just glad this one didn't kill me..

Old 01-04-2015, 04:12 PM

13,303 posts, read 7,872,015 times
Maybe you just caught a cold.

"In the course of a year, individuals in the United States suffer 1 billion colds, according to some estimates.

Colds are most prevalent among children, and seem to be related to youngsters' relative lack of resistance to infection and to contacts with other children in day-care centers and schools. Children have about six to ten colds a year. In families with children in school, the number of colds per child can be as high as 12 a year. Adults average about two to four colds a year, although the range varies widely. Women, especially those aged 20 to 30 years, have more colds than men, possibly because of their closer contact with children. On average, individuals older than 60 have fewer than one cold a year."

"The Causes
The Viruses. More than 200 different viruses are known to cause the symptoms of the common cold. Some, such as the rhinoviruses, seldom produce serious illnesses. Others, such as parainfluenza and respiratory syncytial virus, produce mild infections in adults but can precipitate severe lower respiratory infections in young children."

The Common Cold, NIAID Fact Sheet: NIAID - RightDiagnosis.com

Old 01-04-2015, 04:18 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
The difference between a cold and the flu is pretty striking. When I had the flu many years ago, there was absolutely no mistaking it for a cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies